News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Sculpin...Ouch!

Started by croaker stroker, May 19, 2018, 10:48:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker stroker

These guys will mess you up !  Sooo painful !! My hand is swollen today, but not too painful.

I grabbed the hook with my needlenose pliers and tried to shake him off because I didn't want to get stung. I have done it a million times without incident....but oooh no. Not this time. This time he flipped up and arched his back at the same time I shook the hook. A little stick to the finger and suddenly your finger is on fire. Then the pain going up as far as my elbow.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

Those guys are no joke. My friend got stung by one last season and the pain lasted for 24 hours. He said he would much rather get stung by a bunch of wasps, then get stung by a Sculpin again.
Ibuprofen and Tylenol helped some.
I carry a pair of longer needle nose pliers for those guys, as sometimes they like to get feisty and flip around when you're trying to get the hook out.
My wife likes those to cook up, she says good tasting.

Nice catch Croaker.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

croaker stroker

Sam grabs them by the lower lip with one hand, then takes the hook out with needle nose in the other hand.

....but then, he got stung on my boat a while back. his hand swelled up and his face turned grey. I thought I was going to have to call the Coast Guard.

They are good eating, but not much meat on each fish. Too many tiny bones for me. Sam takes them to his church for people who can't afford to buy them in the market.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AJFishin

Yep that's exactly how my friend got stung last year, his whole arm swelled up and he said it hurt like h*ll.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

SB Steve

Glad you are alright CS.  I got poked by one of those a long time ago, but I still remember how much it hurt.  I remember when I worked on one boat one of the guys got poked by one and want into convulsions...he must have had some kind of allergy. 

Wiley

Is the toxin like bee stings ? If so Afterbite may be a great addition to the first aid kit along with some Benedetto or an antihistamine?
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

croaker stroker

Bee sting pales in comparison.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Redhawk

Hope it heals up quickly! I use sculpin (specifically great sculpin) for bait so I just put a knife through their head and then take the hook out. I hear getting spiked by a catfish is also pretty painful.
Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke

Markshoreline

Phat Philange!  Hope that's better soon!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

Quote from: Markshoreline on May 21, 2018, 02:20:27 PM
Phat Philange!  Hope that's better soon!

No. That's my finger.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸