News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Boat Electrical Died

Started by StreamFixer, May 16, 2018, 03:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StreamFixer

Middle of Detroit lake when Rick stopped by to discuss how fishing (kokanee) was going.  We had been having a rough day...  Kicker steering went out so having to hand steer, one of the downriggers had somehow gotten the line around the axle with about 40 feet of line out (8# hanging, until we got into 25' of water (did I mention the wind was blowing?)).  Right after Rick took off to make another troll I had a total electrical failure on the boat.  No juice anywhere except in the batteries.  Called Rick who give me a tow to the nearest dock, and a ride back to my rig on the other side of the lake.

The only thing I could think of was the main electrical on off switch had failed so I pulled that switch today.  Not pretty with periodic open indicated  by the Ohm meter (no-- not just when I turned the switch on and off Danan).  Going to hard wire (bypass) to be sure tomorrow morning.

Fortunately, I have an add-a-battery (blue sea) Jimmie sold to me a couple of seasons ago.  Still in original packaging, just gathering dust in the shop.    Just ordered cables from Greg's Marine wiring (he got the order at around 2:30 his time and had the cables made up and in express mail by 4).  Should be here Friday or Saturday.

I pulled the rear side panel, measured, etc (it will all fit and I don't even need to cut a hole in the fuel tank Shawn).  I have to buy a 3.625" hole saw, a bunch of new stainless machine screws, washers, etc. and should be back fishing on Monday.

Had that happened the day before I would been up the excrement tributary with no means of propulsion...  Another way of saying that is Grays River bay with 15 to 20 mph SW winds (dock in NE corner and a LOT of sandbars in between) and no one within 2 miles of us, and they were on the other side of the sandbars......

Still a satisfied Greg's Marine Wiring customer... What great customer service...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Fisherdv

Was it a blue seas "mini" switch that failed?
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

StreamFixer

Nope, just a simple keyed on off switch that was just over 5 years old and exposed to a fair amount of salt running.

The Blue Sea is the 5511e model.  I do not find "mini" anywhere on the packaging

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Fisherdv

Ok, sounds like you have the regular size blue seas switch. I read lots of reviews about the "mini" version of the switch falling apart. I hope they have fixed that problem since because I just installed one

HemiGTX

Glad you weren't out 35 kilometers on a tuna run when that switch decided to let go.  Where was it mounted?

PS: you need a 9.208 cm hole saw.

AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

DevMah

Quote from: HemiGTX on May 16, 2018, 09:13:10 PM
Glad you weren't out 35 kilometers on a tuna run when that switch decided to let go.  Where was it mounted?

You could just bypass the switch and get your self home. Just make sure all your electronics  are off when you bypass then turn them on after.

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Fisherdv

Quote from: DevMah on May 17, 2018, 07:52:23 AM

You could just bypass the switch and get your self home. Just make sure all your electronics  are off when you bypass then turn them on after.

Dev
I always keep appropriate size wrenches/tools for the switch and battery connections just in case I need to bypass the switch. Also a good idea to have tools onboard for the branch connections also in case a nut or screw was to come loose on a buss bar, or a circuit breaker etc.

StreamFixer

Having the tools to bypass (I do) is a good idea.  Had I been stranded at sea or in eminent danger, you can bet I would have bypassed (yet another reason to have a non electronic compass on board) and started the motor.

In my case, the switch is mounted on a 'permanently' mounted poanel with bare minimum working room to access the electrical terminals to get at the wiring (only access from the stern, above the gas tank, by feel only)  The nut on one side of the switch was rusted pretty tight and the lug on the wire melted into the switch base (on the side furthest from access point).  It required a chisel to break free once I got the panel off in the shop.  I don't carry a chisel and hammer on the boat and there was no room to use it had I had one.

Like I said, I would have figured out a way to bypass to make the motor run had I needed to.  Just easier to have a friend give me a 1/4 mile tow.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

croaker stroker

Quote from: DevMah on May 17, 2018, 07:52:23 AM

You could just bypass the switch and get your self home. Just make sure all your electronics are off when you bypass then turn them on after.

Dev

YES !! Important !  You don't want sparks near the gas tank or the batteries !
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

StreamFixer

Things performed as designed when directly wired, therefvore the problem ascertained to be the primary on/off switch. 

Wire ordered from Greg's arrived today.  I ordered around 2:30 their time on Wednesday.  They still managed to get it shipped that afternoon.  Package arrived Friday.  Have I ever mentioned how much I appreciated the product and service from Greg's Marine Wiring?

Everything mounted, now just a matter of hooking up the wiring and replacing the panel...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

dbhazjack

2013 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker. SOLD

StreamFixer

All back together, but decided I needed to check it out before I put the panel back into place..  Make sure every think works like supposed to... 

Good thing I did because neither of the motors would turn over.  trim on both worked, all the rest of the boat's electrical worked, but the motors, main and kicker, would not turn over.

WTF???   :shrug9:

Started tracing circuits with multi-meter.  Electrical savy friend came over...  Hmmm.  Then I noticed the kicker motor was still in gear..  Whoa!!! the kicker turned over when shifted into neutral.   Same thing with the Main...

One of these days the Letters on my forehead are not going to fade...  The ones that spell DUMBASS when I look in the mirror... :redface:

STreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Markshoreline

Glad you were able to sort it all out.  There are lots of details to account for!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

beancounter

Russ I have an idea. Get your boat wrapped one side could be a hammer and a chisel. Maybe the other side a fellow resembling yourself with the smacked forehead saying Doh. On second thought see if 2 would be cheaper than one. I am having those kind of moments too often now myself. Yesterday I went to the lake with my latest acquisition to burn off about 40 gals of old gas. No key had to drive an hour back home and get the key. Hour back. Boat ran great but I didn't have squat for steering. Knew when I bought it I needed to bleed it but forgot til I gave it the gas leaving the dock.  :1zhelp:

BigMac

Russ--
Sometimes the more obvious the solution, the harder it is to solve.
Take some consolation in the fact that you discovered what was causing the problem before your electrical savvy friend.
Perhaps we should start a thread titled "Dumbass".  I'll lead off with the day I tried to fill the fuel tank through a gunwale rod holder.
(Dave)