News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Neah Bay Tragedy

Started by Mooch, May 15, 2018, 08:37:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooch

Hearts and prayers are for grieving Radtke family.  Be safe out there fellas! 

https://www.forksforum.com/news/capsized-boat-cape-flattery
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

croaker stroker

Prayers sent.

It's hard to hear of so many people loosing loved ones lately.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

That is really sad!  The fishing close in to the rocks is really good but most of us avoid getting close because of the risk. 
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Omega3

Tragic,but as long as the current system is left in place it will continue to happen.Guys go out when conditions are rough because of the 3 or 4 day quota system.If you don't go on the chosen days regardless of weather you may not get another chance due to lack of quota left available.There is no reason we can't implement a system similar to the one used in Canada.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

Markshoreline

I've never thought that we have the finest minds working "for" us at wdfw...

Redhawk

Prayers sent. Hard to hear how many people are dying to the ocean lately.
Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke

headduck

Floatation device?

And agree with Omega...the schedules places us in bad conditions...logic trumped the desire for Hali for me and I sat out Friday due to winds and a healthy dose of paranoia...I mean respect...

Kindest of thoughts to the family and friends of the lost. Very sad indeed.

2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

amazing grace

very sad.  I am always curious about the boat in these accidents. I realize the boat make or style does not necessarily have much to do with the accident. I am just always wondering what boat was involved. 
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Markshoreline

Too close to the rocks or sideways to the waves will always end in disaster.

Mooch

Quote from: Markshoreline on May 18, 2018, 09:25:23 PM
Too close to the rocks or sideways to the waves will always end in disaster.

Kelp calls like a Siren and great peril lurks when waves abound.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Markshoreline

That reads like poetry.

gfakkema

Quote from: amazing grace on May 18, 2018, 03:19:39 PMI am just always wondering what boat was involved.

The boat was a 24' Duckworth OS. The situation is still fuzzy, but it is clear that no one was wearing PFD's. Prayers to the family, but should be a reminder to us all to don our protection (PFD, PLB, knife etc). Hearing this story made me invest in re-charge kits for the auto inflates and put additional PLB's on the future purchase list.
2001 22' Sea Legend HT w/Alaskan Bulkhead
2006 Suzuki DF250 / 2004 Mercury 9.9

amazing grace

Thanks gfak, Appreciate the info. No pfd especially there in those conditions was not a wise choice. Lucky there were two survivors. Did the boat sink? 
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Omega3

Story is the boat sank like a rock.The two that survived are lucky help was close by or they more than likely would have drowned as well.A good reminder to wear your pfd.Makes me feel a bit safer knowing my Arima is filled with foam and likely won't sink.From what I have read the boat went down fast leaving only enough time to escape with what's on your back,everything else went down with the boat.If you get stuck in the cabin on a tin can your going down with it.Tin can = death trap!
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

amazing grace

Those Ducks are nice and big boats. I think our Kimbrey has one. I can imagine it sank quickly. I remember Wedocq posting a short vid of fishing near  the rocks. I think there is also a old Arima advertisement of one fishing near them too.

Glad someone was close enough to rescue two or this would of been a terrible tragedy for more families.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Zarn

YES, it IS up to the individual vessel operator to determine appropriately a go or no-go situation. I have not and never will subscribe to the "derby style" fishery the states of wa and or have forcibly imposed on their biggest fee paying stake holders. This is a major reason why I have voted with my feet with respect to supporting ANYTHING to do with in the PNW and their methodology behind all types of pay to play sporting activities and angling. AND... why our family chooses to spend our annual 5 figure outdoors budget elsewhere for 8 years now.

IMHO, the state's approach is this situation is wholly misguided because they believe they must regulate to the lowest common denominator. Offering only limited "opportunity", extremely limited at that... except, of course with respect to our native "brothers". Rather than attempting to present and represent a culture to their largest stakeholders which provides an environment that allows for reasonable eye on safety, sustainable catch ratios on an expanded date ranges sport anglers get only scraps.

The states of wa and or can learn a lot from the Canadians with respect to sport fishery management however when will they ever learn... ?

SOLD... 87'SR, Blue Stripe/Top & ETEC 90, Honda 8, Arima owner... 11 years. Gonna miss her but I'll still be around here.

Remember....when attacked by a clown posse always go for the juggler first.

Markshoreline

The term gutless bureaucrats comes to mind...

Mooch

I'm not a fan of derby or slot seasons either, but in all fairness I don't think this tragedy can or should be laid at the feet of administrators.  First, it was opening day for halibut and as we all know opening day for any season is "opening day", whether derby or regular season.  Also, it's my understanding that the area where this occurred was inside the 30 fathom bottomfish retention area, subject to regular season regs, not derby.  Finally, what happened to these guys could just as easily happen on a clear glassy day, just as it did with the 21 Arima Skip Top off Strawberry Rock.  Sneaker waves often come from different directions and react very differently than expected.  Their power and size are surprisingly magnified by direct wave reflections off ocean facing rock obstructions like Tatoosh or Strawberry.  Pretty sure the operators of both vessels were experienced hands and knowledgeable of the areas they were fishing.  But with another opener coming this weekend, I'd hate to think that any misplaced blame might divert awareness from a very real and deadly danger that lurks amoung the rocks.  Be careful out there boys!

wedocq

I was there that day and the story I heard was backwards from what the article said. It said it took a wave and sunk as it hit the rocks. I heard it hit the rocks in the middle of the cut in between Washington and Tattosh Island, and sunk. either way, it was a nasty day, especially where they were at. Life vests should have been donned. What a sad situation.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.