Author Topic: Bait tank  (Read 595 times)

Offline Fisherdv

Re: Bait tank
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 11:49:42 AM »
Maybe Dawn dish soap would be ok. They use it on wildlife in oil spills
2018, Sea Chaser 16, Honda 60HP

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 11:52:54 AM »
Nothing saved on my phone, but it looks just like this:

With the addition of a Starboard lid/bait table set up that sits on top of it and a nice layer of barn dirt.  It looks like it was designed for a self bailing boat, the drain is on the bottom with a stand pipe that plugs it and maintains the water level via a hole near it's top.  To drain it, you remove the pipe and the drain at the bottom of the tank is then open.  Since my tin can't isn't self bailing, this doesn't work for an inside-the-hull mount, unless I rig the drain up to some kind of pump.  I've toyed with the idea of draining it into my fish box, as I have a macerator pump to pump it out. 

But it would be a lot easier to mount it to the bracket, where I could just drain it overboard.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:59:30 AM by Threeweight »
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2018, 12:29:06 PM »
They are all like that. The large tube on the bottom is the outlet. You can run a swimming pool vaccuum hose (or sutable marine flexable hose) As long as the level of the overboard outlet is below the full level of the tank the water will flow out of that removable tube from either the hole in the top, or if you unplug the tube, it will drain.

I ran my outlet tube over the transom. Then I added a barbed union so I could disconnect the flex below the bottom of the tank to drain it completely. Just now thinking, instead of a union, I should have added a tee with a threaded cap to make things easier.  :shrug9:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:31:57 PM by Croaker Stroker »
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Offline Ssericz

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2018, 10:18:34 PM »
Simple green then scrub with bleach flush out and leave to dry

Both are safe for bait once fully dried out

All of these tanks are designed to be plumbed thru the deck so nothing to trip over

I just sold my pe30 flat back tank an hour ago for $450 so your 125 was a score!

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2018, 10:56:13 PM »
I got it back in December from a guy who was selling it after it had sat in his barn for years.  It came with a Hydrasport he imported from the East Coast, but since he never fished one of our live bait ports he pulled it out and never used it.  His wife wanted the barn cleaned up so they could actually park their RV in it, and I was fastest on the draw over in the Ifish classifieds  :biggrin:

Just measured, and it looks like the overflow intake on the standpipe is about 26-28" above the base of the tank.  My boat's gunnells are 30" above the deck, so I'd need to either build a platform for it, or run the drain line back out through my transom (maybe I could use the cable boot for my kickers controls).
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Croaker Stroker

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2018, 11:00:59 PM »
Mine runs out through a motorwell boot. Then just over the transom.

My standpipe has two holes in it and a fiberglass sleeve to slide over one or the other hole for operating the tank half full if needed.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:08:46 PM by Croaker Stroker »
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."