News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

115 hp Honda vs Yamaha for 17 Sea Chaser

Started by Fishgriller, February 06, 2018, 05:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yachter Yat

Like Fisher, I use only premium as well.  If you research this, you'll see, gas loses a certain amount of its octane over time.  Consequently, if your boat sits for a while (as many do), you might actually be burning a much lower octane rated fuel than you realize.  IMO, it's best to start high.

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

That and the gas nowadays is garbage anyways so try to get all you can out of it
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Fisherdv

Premium fuel in California is 91 octane. Used to be 92 octane years ago. I recall seeing some areas that still have 93 octane premium

Threeweight

Just note that premium/octane don't tell you anything about ethanol content.  Ethyl alcohol actually increases the octane rating of the fuel.

Pretty much every gas station pump in my area selling 91 octane is selling E10.

Though if he's buying a brand new motor, I wouldn't worry about ethanol fuel at all. 
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Yachter Yat

Just as Threeweight noted, everything around here is E10 as well.  As I'm sure many of us have read, there's a push to go E15.  Oh boy......I can't wait! :hoboy:

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fishgriller

I would like to thank all of you for your input and advice.  After doing much research and discussions with FDefiance , I decided to go with a 115 Yamaha.  Although Defiance thought that 17 SC could handle the 478 lb Honda 115, to me it is still extra 100 lbs on the transom all the time.  In my research I found that the the Yamaha 90 and 115 weigh within 20-25 lbs of each other and both are just about the same as the Honda 90.  Fuel economy of both Yamahas is about the same with about .5 GPH difference at WOT and both are slightly better than Honda 90. Current promotions helped decrease the cost difference between the Yamaha 90 and 115 to the point that the price difference didn't matter much in the overall price of the boat.  Given all of this,  I really didn't see a downside to getting the Yamaha 115.  I am eagerly awaiting my new boat and very happy to be a new Arima owner and member of this forum. I'm sure I'll be asking lots more questions.
2018 Sea Chaser 17, 2018 Yamaha F115

FWilliams

you will be very happy with that decision! :applause:
2007 21 ft. Sea Ranger HT 115 Yamaha 4 stroke  9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke. sold

Fisherdv

Nice!  :applause: Please give us an update on how the boat performs

Marine40

You will love your new motor!   When you fill up on gas and add the kicker motor please take a picture of how close the water is to the top of the splash well.
Have -15' Hunter, Had - 2 each 17' Rangers, Had - 1 each 17 Skip Chaser, Had - 1 each 19' Skip Chaser, Have - 21' Skip Ranger.

Rokefin

Quote from: Docmi on February 14, 2018, 09:33:24 PM
I would like to thank all of you for your input and advice.  After doing much research and discussions with FDefiance , I decided to go with a 115 Yamaha.  Although Defiance thought that 17 SC could handle the 478 lb Honda 115, to me it is still extra 100 lbs on the transom all the time.  In my research I found that the the Yamaha 90 and 115 weigh within 20-25 lbs of each other and both are just about the same as the Honda 90.  Fuel economy of both Yamahas is about the same with about .5 GPH difference at WOT and both are slightly better than Honda 90. Current promotions helped decrease the cost difference between the Yamaha 90 and 115 to the point that the price difference didn't matter much in the overall price of the boat.  Given all of this,  I really didn't see a downside to getting the Yamaha 115.  I am eagerly awaiting my new boat and very happy to be a new Arima owner and member of this forum. I'm sure I'll be asking lots more questions.

Great choice.  With all those reasons sounds like a no brainer.

Fisherdv

I noticed you went with the 115 on your new 17 SC. I'm curious to hear your thoughts

Fishgriller

I'm still in the break in period, these are my thoughts so far.  I think this is an outstanding motor.   Very quiet and VERY powerful and seems to be very economical as well.  So far I ran it for about 3.5 hours straight and burned about 5 gallons.  Exact amount hard to say as I spilled some gas while fueling. The engine is very quite and smooth, but if you open up the thtittle, it is a beast.  Getting on plane  is virtually instantaneous, and this was with me and my 2 sons aboard, probably around 550 lbs total.  Couple of years ago, my son was taking waterski lessons and the instructor was using a an 18 foot Malibu with a Ford 351 cu. inboard, I think by my seat of the pants, my SC 17 getting on plane and accelerating is not too different.  I limited full throttle to only a few seconds, in mild chop I hit 43 mph and still had a few hundred RPM left and not sure if my motor trim was optimum.  I think Yamaha hit the jackpot with the 2015 redesign of this motor, light, economical and very powerful. I know Yamaha uses this block for 75 and 90 as well, but these are SOHC, while the 115 is DOHC, which seems to increase power throughout the RPM range while keeping good economy.  Interestingly, the owners manual is for F115 /F130, which tells that this engine is also available with higher hp and  they are very similar, probably slight tuning differences.  Yamaha doesn't list a 130 hp on their US website, but they do outside the US.  Here is one of the reviews when this motor first came out, they estimate it's actual hp is at upper limits industry tolerance of 20%, meaning it's probably closer to 126hp.  The tuning differences between the 115 and 130 are probably very slight .   I realize Arimas are not about speed, but if you can have your good exonomy, light weight and very strong power, that is the best of all worlds.
2018 Sea Chaser 17, 2018 Yamaha F115

Fisherdv

43 MPH? More throttle left? WOW! If weight is not a problem that is super impressive. Sounds like you have an awesome setup :applause:  Enjoy the boat and be safe. If I was to do it again I would seriously consider an F90 Yamaha for my 16.

Fisherdv