News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Sea Legend 22 Rewire

Started by GregE, April 20, 2018, 12:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregE

I've been doing more thinking than doing--  time to get the SL 22 ready to fish.  As with many boats wired by the dealers, there are some issues that will be re-done like they deserve to be.  But it will take some time- still waiting for $$ for Plotter MFD.

Truth up front-  I'm very picky about wiring and electronics and have used a certified marine electrician to do the hands on work-  I know my limitations. 

Rear station in the starboard sponson.  The downrigger wires runs directly off the battery hot line to the switch- they do have inline fuses.  Other wires were fastened to the battery posts.

I plan to use a piece of Starboard to lay the components out similar to the SR 19.  I'll be following the lessons learned by so many and shared generously here.

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Mooch

Greg, I got the popcorn in the microwave and looking forward to the rest of the story.  Bring it!
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Tj805

Cool
A skiff top sea legend 22 is my dream arima .
I'll be watching this and look forward to the updates .
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

Rokefin

Quote from: Tj805 on April 20, 2018, 07:26:56 AM
Cool
A skiff top sea legend 22 is my dream arima .
I'll be watching this and look forward to the updates .

Tj805 - we have the same needs on the water, if I had one choice for an Arima it would be the skiff top 22 Legend :clap:

I read all the electrical threads and I am still confused, amazes me cuz I can fix anything but I call in help on electrical.....maybe I should just attack it like Greg is.

Happy wiring Greg!

SB Steve

Good Luck Greg!  See who finishes their re-wire first.  I got a bunch of parts in yesterday.  Hoping to knock out some stuff this weekend.

GregE

Hope your popcorn doesn't get stale......

An interesting thing about this SL 22.  The previous owners bought it new in Coos Bay and had a separate helm installed for the kicker.  Throttle, steering and start are on the port side as Terree drove while trolling for salmon and TUNA while Bob did deck duties.  They moved to Moses Lake WA and had a house in Ocean Shores and launched from there.

The current VHF and CB radios are mounted under the skip top.  I'll leave them in place ( redundancy for safety is good  ) but wanted a newer radio with AIS so I did some work on the dash- moving the compass and cutting into the solidly built dash. 

Now the challenge is how to run the antennae wires up to the skip top so I'm looking for suggestions from those who figured how to fish thru the skip mounts or ??  I plan to use the top hand rails to mount some quality antennas - Not Shakespeare
I plan to mount a radar later so will need to have a tilt down mount made as the skip is already a challenge to fit it in the open shop bay door (HAL)

Greg
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Threeweight

If the frame of the skip top isn't already drilled and set up for wire runs, I'd skip trying to do that.  If it is, get a cheap fish tape from Home Despot and use it to pull the wires through.

If you can't fish them through, would just run some large diameter black wire loom, zip tied to the skip top structure with black zip ties, and run any cables you need to hide/protect through it.  If you want to pass them through the roof and still have it look nice and be waterproof, Blue Sea cable clams are perfect.  You could also just loop the loom around the edge of the roof... not as pretty, but fewer holes.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

GregE

3wt. Spot on as usual. I went out and looked and external wire loom will probably be used

Transducer question - anyone use a shoot thru in a SL 22?   The access behind the 106 gal center fuel tank is tight

Lots of stuff already down there,  trim tab pump, sump and washdown pumps

Greg

La-Z-Buoy

Way to go Greg. Wait till just BEFORE fishing season starts to do the re-wire    :doh:  :biggrin: ! Will fire up the popcorn maker tonight.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Markshoreline

OK, so GregE has documented that he has owned 6 Arimas, can anyone top that or is he the winner? 
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Fisherdv

Not to mention that beautiful Osprey!
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Hunter

Quote from: GregE on April 20, 2018, 01:30:36 PM
Transducer question - anyone use a shoot thru in a SL 22?   The access behind the 106 gal center fuel tank is tight

Greg....  Been awhile since I've thought about this but I seem to remember that some folks found that the space underneath the cockpit in-floor fish boxes was a prime spot for a shoot thru ducer.  I think that was the original set-up on out 22SL before we abandoned it and went with a transom mount when we put all new electronics on.   Ultimately.... I think the thru-hull is the way to go.   I think Mark did this on his 21. 
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Markshoreline

Yep, DSCS helped me install a B175H after I helped install his.  Excellent device!
https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Installing-a-Thru-Hull-Transducer
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

BruceL2_Fish

Greg, if you have room for it I am really impressed with the MH265 and the CP470 chirp sonar processor I am running.  Same as HemiGTX has.  I believe that transducer will work with other than Raymarine products which my CP470 is.  It is a In-hull not through hull unit. 
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Red 22

Now the challenge is how to run the antennae wires up to the skip top so I'm looking for suggestions from those who figured how to fish thru the skip mounts or ??  I plan to use the top hand rails to mount some quality antennas - Not Shakespeare
I plan to mount a radar later so will need to have a tilt down mount made as the skip is already a challenge to fit it in the open shop bay door (HAL)

I did this a couple of years back, I'll get you some pictures- but it won't be until Monday.
Tony

05' Red Legend 22 skip tower, Honda 225, Honda 9.9,  Garmin 740s, Garmin HD 18 radar Garmin GHP10 auto-pilot
"I've always wanted to sail to the south seas, but I can't afford it." What these men can't afford is not to go.
-Sterling Hayden

polarbill1999

On wake board boats with towers they use a shop vac I think to pull through twine/string then tie off the wires and pull them through.
Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

GregE

thanks, still thinking about the Transducer, talking with SemperFiFishing about a package.  You can see the mounting challenge- center fuel tank, side fish boxes and limited access to the sump area.  I do plan to replace the Rule pumps-  one is for the wash down.  Wondering if I can incorporate a bait tank pump instead.  May need to use a can guide like Shawn to keep the flow while on plane.   :shrug9:

The Marinco Charge Pro should be here Monday.  With port and starboard  series 27 batteries the width of the SL comes into play.  The battery leads on the charger are 4'.  Thinking I'm going to mount it and the charging relay in the center.  I have 4 " from the splash well to the removable panel.  May route in some air vents near the top of the Starboard panel.  I'll run the plug cord out the angled side panel.

Buddy Mike is going to help run and crimp wire next week.  MOre pics to follow....  (but you all knew that..   :wink:  )
Greg

croaker stroker

That's where I mounted mine.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Marine40

Greg and I are tied with 6.

1 Hunter
2 17 Rangers
1 17 Chasers
1 19 Chaser
1 21 Ranger.

That's as far as I will go.

Quote from: Markshoreline on April 21, 2018, 04:17:26 PM
OK, so GregE has documented that he has owned 6 Arimas, can anyone top that or is he the winner?
Have -15' Hunter, Had - 2 each 17' Rangers, Had - 1 each 17 Skip Chaser, Had - 1 each 19' Skip Chaser, Have - 21' Skip Ranger.

blindmonkey

Where is Beancounter's tally. He seems to have had several  :biggrin:
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

GregE

OK, let's start another thread to count Arimas.........   :jester:

Now back to the project.  Finally looked at the wiring running up to the front panel - it looks like they used 14 gauge to run directly from the Perko switch to a front Blue Sea style fuse box then this....  All the system wire is the same - the wire loom had me optimistic. 

The good news is the port side wire was done along with the port steering install and is much better organized.  And the skip struts do have access holes for running wire.

The fuel tank fill hose is 28" and has ozone cracks-  That stuff is expen$ive but I'll be replacing the other fuel lines also- it's the right thing to do.
Greg

Fisherdv

Wow, 14 gauge all the way to the front fuse panel is small. Should be at least 8 gauge if not 6. I mounted my blue seas battery switch to a piece of starboard similar to what you did on your 16 (ok, a piece of cutting board) and it slides in between the bait well and the inner hull perfectly. I really don't even need to screw the starboard down because it slides in there snug on my 16 SC.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

beancounter

On the boat count I can top those two guys put together probably. Have to count em up. 16 Chaser,17 Chaser skip tower, 17 Pacer, 3 19 Rangers,
2 22 Legends, 4 21 Rangers,16 Explorer and last one I promise is a 19 Chaser skip tower that I am getting ready to sell as i bought a non arima. Guess you guys might evict me from here but I needed a boat with more deadrise and gas capacity. Oh back to the count that would be 14.

blindmonkey

Wow that is a lot of Arimas!
Lorne
2013 17' Sea Chaser, Honda 90, Yamaha F8 SOLD
1994 Sea Explorer, Mercury 60, SOLD

Marine40

Wow, and truth to be told bean allowed me to pick up my 21 and 19 from his home area. He was probably doing his taxes or having a new baby is why I was able to get 2. I'm just thinking of how burned out I am at 6......14 Arima boats is alot.

Darren
Have -15' Hunter, Had - 2 each 17' Rangers, Had - 1 each 17 Skip Chaser, Had - 1 each 19' Skip Chaser, Have - 21' Skip Ranger.