News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

DIY Wash Down Kit

Started by AJFishin, April 11, 2018, 10:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJFishin

A couple days ago I started thinking of a DIY wash down kit that's cheap and portable for those of us that don't have the plumbing for a wash down, but would like something.

Fisherdv posted a picture of a product on the market called "Rinse Kit", so this got me thinking. The Rinse Kit is $150 + so I did some YouTube research and found a bunch of garden sprayers converted into portable camp showers.
So I ended up making a no pump" sprayer out of a cheap garden sprayer and a tire stem.

----This is what I bought and made----------------------------------------------------------

$15 HDX 2 gallon garden sprayer (Home Depot)

$12 nozzles, 3 different pieces (Home Depot)

$3 tire valve stem (O'Reilly's)

1/2" drill bit for stem hole

A hose clamp and spray nozzle

Tried it out and works great and all for $30

I could not find the single 1/4" x 3/4" hose barb attachment, so I had to get this.
Home Depot Part Numbers
L to R
LFA-870  /   LFA-828   /   LFA-193

All 3 pieces

All 3 pieces put together with a spray nozzle.

Tire valve stems, just needed 1.

Drill a 1/2" hole on the side and inserted the tire valve stem.

All put together and wiped off the HDX logo

Testing it out video

https://vimeo.com/264364420
Max psi I felt comfortable with was 30 psi.

'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

croaker stroker

Good job! ......Now just add a dash of SaltAway.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

That's awesome AJ! Great job  :applause: I'm gonna make one. That rinse kit I mentioned is way to expensive. Croaker, great suggestion adding the salt away
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

AJFishin

Thanks and yeah good idea CS with a dash of Salt Away.

It was pretty easy to make and I was surprised with the distance it got after using the air compressor.

Fisherdv

How quick did the container empty with 30 PSI?  Impressive water pressure, but maybe  15 or 20 PSI would still give good pressure and last a little longer

AJFishin

Quote from: Fisherdv on April 12, 2018, 08:02:51 AM
How quick did the container empty with 30 PSI?  Impressive water pressure, but maybe  15 or 20 PSI would still give good pressure and last a little longer

I only filled 1 gallon and I didn't do a wide open timed water flow test, more of a pressure test. I wanted to see how long it would hold pressure and what kind of water pressure I will have. So far yesterday it held pressure for 4 hours and no noticable drop in pressure.
I'll do a few different test with 2 gallons in a little while and I'll try it at 20 psi too.

Fisherdv

Even if it did lose a little pressure you could still pump the handle if necessary. If I have time today I'll swing by Home Depot. I need to get some fertilizer for the palm trees anyway. I have a few days off and wanted to go fishing but the wind says no. :doh:

AJFishin

So here's my tests results.

I tried a different spray nozzle and got way better results!

1 gallon of water, 30 psi, sprayer switch to "shower", sprayed at full: 1 gallon of water was gone in about 70 seconds.
This sprayer also has a control valve that allows you to control the amount of water released.

I think this nozzle is the better sprayer to used as I emptied the tank out of water and still had a lot of pressurized air in the tank.

The shower didn't spray far, but I could turn the dial to "jet" if I needed more pressure, which it did go about 10 feet.

Sprayer dial on "shower"

----------------------------------------------------

Previous test with a basic sprayer:

- 20 psi works, wide open spray went about 8 feet and lasted about 30 seconds before the stream went down to roughly 3 feet. 3/4 of a gallon was used, but with a weak stream towards the end.
- 30 psi wide open spray went about 10 feet and lasted about 40 seconds before the stream went down to roughly 3 feet. One gallon was used, but with a weak stream towards the end.

- 30 psi with the spray nozzle turned to shower and wide open, lasted about 45 seconds before the stream went down to roughly 2 feet. One gallon was used, but with a very weak stream towards the end.

All 3 tests within the last 10 seconds, the stream was about as weak as about 25 pumps with the handle. I did pump the handle to bring up the pressure and gained a little more spray and distance.

Fisherdv

I was kinda thinking about an adjustable shower nozzle also. Thx for the reviews. Looks like 3WT could of used one of these after seeing the deck on his Arima while Tuna! fishing

AJFishin

Quote from: Fisherdv on April 12, 2018, 09:42:10 AM
Even if it did lose a little pressure you could still pump the handle if necessary. If I have time today I'll swing by Home Depot. I need to get some fertilizer for the palm trees anyway. I have a few days off and wanted to go fishing but the wind says no. :doh:

If you ever are looking for really good fertilizer for your lawn, I use this stuff, BEST Nitra King (21-2-4) all season turf & landscape fertilizer. I apply it every 6 weeks and it works great at keeping my lawn green. They don't carry it at Home Depot, but if you have a fertilizer / landscaping supplies shop near you, they should have it and it's about $25 for a 50# bag.

Fisherdv

I do have a landscape supply store nearby. Ive been wanting to try that Best brand too. I see a lot of commercial landscapers using that brand. I already fertilized the lawn a few weeks ago. I need to give the palms a spring feeding now.

AJFishin

Quote from: Fisherdv on April 12, 2018, 12:11:17 PM
I was kinda thinking about an adjustable shower nozzle also. Thx for the reviews. Looks like 3WT could of used one of these after seeing the deck on his Arima while Tuna! fishing

Here's another option. I purchased a sink sprayer and hose, but I haven't tried it out yet. This would also make it have a longer hose.
Part Number
L to R
53013  /  LFA-192   /   58583

I remember that picture 3WT boat, Tuna Slayer !

AJFishin

Quote from: Fisherdv on April 12, 2018, 12:26:38 PM
I do have a landscape supply store nearby. Ive been wanting to try that Best brand too. I see a lot of commercial landscapers using that brand. I already fertilized the lawn a few weeks ago. I need to give the palms a spring feeding now.

You're going to love that stuff! I have been using it since I redid my front lawn 5 years ago.
During the drought we had to cut our water usage by 30% and only water twice a week. Our lawn went to a brownish green, but never all brown, as I kept using the fertilizer, but in limited amounts.
Just this winter I started back in using it and it's really has made difference.
Reminds me I need to redo my parkway sprinklers.

Fisherdv

When we got the house the grass was all weeds and dirt. I pulled all the weeds by hand :bigshock: and can you believe I did this with all grass seed. A lot of work and filling in bare spots but it came out really good. Then our female dogs pee on it and leave burn spots  :doh: And if that isn't bad enough we also had to cut water 30%, I did that then I get a letter from the city that says oh, good job on saving water and using 30% less, now we're going to raise your rates cause the city is losing money because you all did as you were told and saved water :doh: :doh: :doh: :hoboy:

Markshoreline

In Seattle, Mayor Durkin is figuring out ways to tax folks for driving in the city, and a "carbon" tax.  Maybe she needs to hear about the water reduction use tax... you Californians are ahead on everything!  :wink:
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

AJFishin

Quote from: Markshoreline on April 12, 2018, 01:58:13 PM

In Seattle, Mayor Durkin is figuring out ways to tax folks for driving in the city, and a "carbon" tax.  Maybe she needs to hear about the water reduction use tax... you Californians are ahead on everything!  :wink:

Right now our great politicians here want to dump the gas tax for a per-mile fee because cars use less fuel  :facepalm:  :hoboy:

Fisherdv

They're going to get us one way or the other.  :hoboy:

AJFishin

Fisherdv your lawn looks great, great job :clap:  I've been there and done that weed pulling and it is not fun.  Growing form seed is the way to go.
As for your dogs, I have a male and a female dog that do their business in the backyard and so far just watering the grass daily for about 2 minutes has seem to kept the burn spots down.
We also had the mandatory 30% and our bills went up as well. :facepalm:

When I redid my lawn, I rented a 16 HP rototiller and pulled everything out, all the way to the dirt and filled a 20 yard roll off dumpster. Then got the bed ready and I grew everything from seed, well worth it, but never again.
Old dead grass

The aftermath

New grass growing

AJFishin

Quote from: Fisherdv on April 12, 2018, 12:11:17 PM

Fisherdv did you end up making a wash down ?

Fisherdv

Not yet, I didn't get to it today. I will make one soon though.