Author Topic: Pile Perch?  (Read 311 times)

Offline Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • Fly your flag proudly and thank a veteran!
  • View Gallery
Pile Perch?
« on: March 29, 2018, 10:15:49 AM »
Just wondering if anyone has gone out after Pile Perch (at least that’s what I call ‘em) recently.

I’ve got a hankering for some white bodied fish lately.
My memory is not what it used to be but I think it was about this time of year we used to go catch the big ones around the ferry terminals.
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14’ Sterling
9’ Pontoon (Bismarck)
8’ Pontoon (Hood)

Offline pickles1107

Re: Pile Perch?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 07:45:44 PM »
I’d LIke learn more about this pile perch fishery.

I like to batter And pan fry some sand dabs and rock sole that we catch. Also caught a starry flounder once in 8-2.
It’s hard to find ones big enough to make the labor intensive fillet job worth it though.

Offline Salmon King

• Fisherman
  • Fly your flag proudly and thank a veteran!
  • View Gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 07:56:40 PM »
I’d LIke learn more about this pile perch fishery.

I like to batter And pan fry some sand dabs and rock sole that we catch. Also caught a starry flounder once in 8-2.
It’s hard to find ones big enough to make the labor intensive fillet job worth it though.

the rainbow ones are much better tasting....but yes...you need to ice them but quick or they get mushy.
I always treated them like salmon and bled them and threw them in a bucket of ice water.

The kids and I used to fill up 5-gallon buckets with them off the rocks at the mouth of Deception Pass.

My intention is to give them a go and if not the I’ll run over to Bowman’s Bay and fish the pier for the shiner Perch.

But...I want to do it with artificials instead of going to the trouble of getting those pesky pile worms that bite.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 08:00:35 PM by Salmon King »
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14’ Sterling
9’ Pontoon (Bismarck)
8’ Pontoon (Hood)

Offline Dbobby23

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 08:33:31 PM »
Gulp makes a soft plastic pile worm in various colors. Natural seems to work best for me. I haven’t had great success fishing piling perch but I have put my fair share in the boat using a slip bobber number 4 drop shot hook or number 4 gami glow hook with earthworms shrimp or the gulp worms. I was under the impression real piling worms are illegal to harvest or use for bait anymore. As I understand it they fall under the unclassified marine invertebrates.
1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi

Offline Omega3

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2018, 08:42:41 PM »
Tube worms from under docks that are in the water all year are the best bait I have used.I grew up on Salmon Beach in Tacoma.At low tide we would scrape a bucket full of barnacles.At high tide we would dump the barnacles and spear the big rainbow colored perch that swarm the barnacles.I think they are Flag perch.Speared a couple nice salmon and a 42 lb octopus.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

Offline Zarn

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 03:52:10 PM »
I fish these and bay perch in Netarts Bay when they are running. Hard fighters on light tackle. We use sand shrimp or small curly tails on a double dropper loop, small #4 or#6 hooks and slay them around the high tide from shore or in the channels by boat around the low. I have found if you use sand shrimp cut them in half or thirds so the scent out quickly. When they school by every 10 minutes or so it is generally lights out. Some folks fish them off the bobber using shrimp. We dig them right there in the bay.
SOLD... 87'SR, Blue Stripe/Top & ETEC 90, Honda 8, Arima owner... 11 years. Gonna miss her but I'll still be around here.

Remember....when attacked by a clown posse always go for the juggler first.