News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Nautical Terms

Started by Markshoreline, March 28, 2018, 03:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Markshoreline

Boats have lots of unique terminology due the their long history.  Here's a pretty good list to refer to if you want to look up an odd term that someone posts, like freeboard or painter.
https://www.christinedemerchant.com/nautical-terms-hull.html
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

StreamFixer

Those are easy ones Mark

Painter:  Someone who paints houses, or one who claims to be an artist looking for Freeboard
Freeboard:  What your kids usually expect after leaving school and moving back into the basement or extra bedroom, often associated with the term freeload

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Diablo

Very basic list for people who weren't in the navy.

Just the "A"s, where is athwartships, or avast?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_nautical_terms.   :shark:
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

GregE

Hmmmm  scanned thru the Ls

Glad I was Army   Fall In was given on land     :wink:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

StreamFixer

'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Markshoreline

How did my post attract all the jokers???  :jester:

Hunter

Quote from: Markshoreline on March 28, 2018, 10:29:22 PM

Simple.... you posted on this forum and members answered.   Elementary my dear Watson!
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Yachter Yat

Tumblehome..............I shouldn't have to tell you guys, but it has something to do with alcohol.  :hoboy:    Obviously, that list is nowhere near complete. I don't even see "knuckle"........you know, that thing most Arima owners call "chine".  :shark:

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

StreamFixer

How did my post attract all the jokers??? 

Does anyone know what this is in reference to??? :shrug9:

All I am seeing is good information...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Mooch

Swabs we be, me hearty. 

Seriously, Prismatic Coefficient oughta impress a few mates over some grog.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

croaker stroker

Most of the Naughtycal terms I learned as a sailor can't be shown on this website.  :hoboy:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

Yat, please see "Chine" in the list.

Croaker- but we can list the definitions, for example:

-the thing you stubbed your toe on

- when the anchor won't release from the bottom.

- a large boat that has overtaken you too close creating a large wake

- the 4th fish that spit the hook

And so on...

StreamFixer

Markshoreline

In order those are #@$#%$^, )()&^%#, *((*&&$$ and ^%$%@$KIU#

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Yachter Yat

Mark, Mark, Mark........  What are we going to do with you?

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Yachter Yat

16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Markshoreline

Yat, I just wanted to see if you were paying attention!   :jester:

http://www.newavesys.com/glossary.htm
knuckle
This term refers to an abrupt or hard edged change in the shape of a curve or a surface. The point at which the hard change is located is called a knuckle point or a breakpoint on the curve. For surfaces, a knuckle line or curve usually forms the hard edge between two surfaces. (Most people call this a chine!)

Yachter Yat

"Paying attention"?........Let me tell you:  After the past few year's expenses, including (but not limited to) new car, truck, cedar roof, outboard motor, Sub Zero refrigerator, Wolf stove hood, dishwasher, kitchen and bath faucets, wife's dental work, etc., paying attention seems to be the only thing I can afford.   (haha)

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Markshoreline

Nice when the expenses are all discretionary, not like having kids!

Yachter Yat

What's that Mark?  Discretionary?  Let's see........where to start.  Okay, I'll make it simple:  The roof and faucets were beginning to leak, the car and outboard were 20 years old, the truck was 14 and needed repairs, the dishwasher was making a grinding noise, the fan in the hood was down to one speed and when the refrigerator frosted-up, the service tech said; "Don't bother, it isn't worth fixing, and besides, we don't use that kind of refrigerant anymore."  Dental work?.....what can I say about that?    I don't even want to mention my 30 year old oil furnace that's been "kettling" for the past year.  Discretionary you say?   By the end of this year I should have a whole new house. :hoboy:  Now you know where those dividends go.  :jester:

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Yat, well the dishwasher didn't "have to" be replaced. There are these things called sponges and dish soap  :rimshot: Just sayin :jester:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Yachter Yat

Fisher;  We have so much to learn...........now don't we.  :jester:   BTW, I almost forgot; the washing machine started leaking oil last fall.  That's right!.............Got a new washer and dryer also.  :doh:   So, in "nautical terms", you could say I'm "Fit to be brought-about".

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Markshoreline

On the bright side, now you're all caught up for the next 20 years!

croaker stroker

Quote from: Yachter Yat on March 31, 2018, 05:59:13 AM
     "Paying attention"?........Let me tell you:  After the past few year's expenses, including (but not limited to) new car, truck, cedar roof, outboard motor, Sub Zero refrigerator, Wolf stove hood, dishwasher, kitchen and bath faucets, wife's dental work, etc., paying attention seems to be the only thing I can afford.   (haha)

Yat

I've got contractors tracking dust all over my house right now. Replace this knock down that. New tile, new pipes, new floors. The Home Depot parking lot has been full for weeks now.

Yat, I think it has to do with old age. 20 years ago we bought all new stuff for the house...now it is all going bad....wearing out. Gotta renovate again.  :hoboy: 

Just when you think you are all done, you start over.   :doh:

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Yachter Yat

Yeah, I hear you.  You're right.....owning a home is a never ending project, but I wouldn't have it any other way, I guess.  Love my home, property and the privacy it affords me. I also like nice stuff and try to buy the best that's out there in order to avoid having to replace it too soon, but who knows.  Time will tell.

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Yachter Yat

Oh yeah........just in case some of you are wondering........the above information we've provided to our members came straight from the Arima factory.  :facepalm:  (haha)

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)