News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Favorite all purpose boat knife

Started by headduck, March 21, 2018, 11:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

headduck

2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Threeweight

The one that is handy.  On my old Arima, I kept a Dexter Russell net and twine knife mounted to the starboard beside the spot I typically anchored from.  $15 bucks and the serrated blade will slice through rope under tension like butter.  I kept a Frost divers knife mounted on a panel near the transom for rope in the prop/trim tab issues, and then a 6" Dexter bait knife with a spoon handle for general cutting bait/gutting fish duty.

All those blades you listed are great, but when you really really need a knife (you get tangled in a crab pot or anchor rope, you get rope in your prop during a bar crossing, etc...) I don't think you want to be digging in your pocket for a folding knife, or trying to get the blade open.

On the tin can, I mounted another Dexter net knife on my bow rail by the anchor pulpit, and the same Dexter bait knives at the stern.  I keep a Gerber River Shorty fixed blade on the belt of my inflatable PFD's.  I use the Gerbers because I already had them from whitewater rafting days... were I buying new knives for the vests, I'd probably go with the Grundens Gauge serrated knives (really Swedish Frost knives).
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

First Cabin

I zip tied this to my life jacket.  It locks into the case and securely hangs upside down.  I can release it with one hand and cut away.   Benchmade knife.

First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Kimbrey

Victorinox serrated.  http://www.b2b.seamar.com/WVVAI/wvo?qid=InventoryInq2x&ItemNo=FOR40603
This is the main deck knife used by us Alaska commercial fishermen.  Cuts through line, twine and whatever else like butter.  The guys on deck wear it in a sheath on a belt so they can get to it quickly.  It's a cheap knife but one of the best for our deck work, net repair et cetera.  I used to wear it on a belt or tape the sheath on my rain bibs suspender. 
Here's a link.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

headduck

I like the idea of knives mounted where they will most likely be needed as well as one on the person.

The fold could add complications in emergency situations and I like the added confidence of strength a straight blade would have.

The benchmades seem like very nice blades.

Kimbrey. Are those consider disposables or do folks sharpen and hold onto them?

Do any of these float? That was another worry with the expensive folder...losing it in the drink...

Rokefin

Whoahhh 3Wt - you are over prepared for a knife fight.....

I need to catch up with the knives, I have one filet knife on board. I have yet to anchor in 5 years but I agree with the strategically placed knives - I need to pick up a couple more.

Fisherdv

Some very nice knives mentioned. For those who anchor frequently in a river current as others have suggested, is the most important areas to have a good, sharp knife ready to go that will cut that anchor rope in a hurry. Also no matter what kind/brand you have be sure to keep the knife oiled regularly including a thin coat on the whole blade
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Kimbrey

Quote from: headduck on March 22, 2018, 08:04:32 AM
I like the idea of knives mounted where they will most likely be needed as well as one on the person.

The fold could add complications in emergency situations and I like the added confidence of strength a straight blade would have.

The benchmades seem like very nice blades.

Kimbrey. Are those consider disposables or do folks sharpen and hold onto them?

Do any of these float? That was another worry with the expensive folder...losing it in the drink...
We sharpen them with the little X-type of sharpeners but basically for us in our operations they're disposable as they see heavy use as a lot of grit gets into the ropes and twine.  On a sport boat.....they would probably last close to forever.  If you drop it over the side no big deal.  100 years ago before I started using them when cutting a taper in a wing of a net or just plain mending a hole I'd place the bar of a mesh between by thumb and the knife blade and then pull with the knife to cut the bar.  My 1st experience with a Vickie doing the same was a chopped up thumb and I didn't even realize it.  Needless to say I learned to cut a different way.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

headduck

Yow...keeping my thumb and fingers intact would be a personal goal.

Do you just find a generic sheaf? Any benefit to sheepsfoot tip of the same blade?

Kimbrey

Quote from: headduck on March 22, 2018, 08:53:07 AM
Yow...keeping my thumb and fingers intact would be a personal goal.

Do you just find a generic sheaf? Any benefit to sheepsfoot tip of the same blade?
I think most of the commercial type of marine stores (Lumi, Seamar et cetera) have generic sheaths.  Victorinox has a canvas style sheath that fits them but there is a plastic sheath that is easier to pop the knife in.  We used the sheepsfoot type of tip before we started using the Vickie.  I think the serrated blade is what makes this such a good deck knife as it seems to cut through lines and twine much easier than a straight blade. 

Threeweight

My beef with the little Vicotrianox is the lack of a good, secure sheath.  I get nervous about having it fall out, get snagged on something, etc... and cutting me (or my pfd).  The more diver/whitewater oriented knives have sheaths that are a little more secure.  They do make great bait knives, though. 

You can buy that Grundens knife I mentioned for far less money under the "Morakniv" brand, but the sheath sucks.  Grundens put some thought into a very secure sheath for their version of it.  There are a lot of really nice knife makers out there, but I find the best bang for the buck is often cheap Dexter Russells, Frost/Morakniv, and Victorianox units.

May wife says I have waaaaay too many knives, but we see stuff like this all the time in the Columbia... a 20' Willie boat that flipped after it got it's anchor rope in the prop in a strong current.  Fortunately, no one died in this incident.

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

OnA

Quote from: Kimbrey on March 22, 2018, 07:22:56 AM
Victorinox serrated.  http://www.b2b.seamar.com/WVVAI/wvo?qid=InventoryInq2x&ItemNo=FOR40603
This is the main deck knife used by us Alaska commercial fishermen.  Cuts through line, twine and whatever else like butter.  The guys on deck wear it in a sheath on a belt so they can get to it quickly.  It's a cheap knife but one of the best for our deck work, net repair et cetera.  I used to wear it on a belt or tape the sheath on my rain bibs suspender. 
Here's a link.
Yep, agree 100%.  Use them on the boat, at the house, and they make great dive knives (although as dive knives they have a small handle, so if you have gloves, it can be hard to grasp).  Plus, you can buy them buy the case; so when done, just chunk it.  Or if it slips from your hand and falls overboard, you're not cursing yourself for losing an expensive knife.
My favorite story about a vicki:  A fisherman hopped into his truck and vicki was wedged between the seat cushions, with the tip facing out.  The blade made it all the way to the bone!  Just saying...

GregE

Oh Yikes!!   :bigshock:

Thanks for That mind picture     :facepalm:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

StreamFixer

When you drop a benchmade over the side those will be real crocodile tears at $100+ per copy.  Great knives, wonderful warranty, but you have to get the knife back to them before they will replace or fix it ---  Just sayin'   :whistle:

I carry a Frost/morakniv  on my PFD,  They run about $15 and seem to cut through anything I need to cut with very little effort.  I try to keep my flesh out of that mix, sometimes with better luck than others.  Nice tight sheath too...

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

croaker stroker

Benchmade?  Boy SF, glad to see you got rid of that knife you had that was only sharp on one side.  :whistle:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

I have 3 benchmade knives. Problem is, they are so nice, and so expensive that I don't even use em :facepalm: I use the cheapies.

First Cabin

Quote from: First Cabin on March 22, 2018, 07:04:32 AM
I zip tied this to my life jacket.  It locks into the case and securely hangs upside down.  I can release it with one hand and cut away.   Benchmade knife.

I think I paid $80 for it.  I don't plan to ever use it.  If I have to use it, the $80 was a bargain.  I've got a half dozen cheap knives in easy reach on the boat.  If I go in the water or need a knife quick while on the bow...it's there.  I bought it as much for the sheath as the knife.  It's secure, but comes out with one hand.  I also like that I'm not going to stab myself as I flail around.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Benchmade+Water+Knife&&view=detail&mid=154BB87F255A94622D81154BB87F255A94622D81&&FORM=VRDGAR

Fisherdv

FC, that is a nice knife. Where did u find it for $80? I keep this Gerber knife handy for rope cutting duty if necessary. This knife has been on my boat for over 10 years. Notice how the blade has NO rust at all on it after all that time around water because I kept the blade coated with a layer of oil. I also have a knife on my person at all times and a few in various locations on the boat.

First Cabin

Sportsman's warehouse on clearance.  It's discontinued.  I see they are $102 on the auction site.  Benchmade 112 H2O

headduck

StreamFixer

The one you have referenced will work fine.  This is the one I have on my PFD.  I found it at Englunds for less than $20 several years ago.  I am still quite happy with it.  It does not get used much, but is there if I need it..  Get the stainless, worth the $$$

https://morakniv.se/en/product/fish-slaughter-knife-1030/

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Threeweight

The "Companion F" model you linked is the one designed for cutting rope/line.  That's what I'd go with if you want it for a safety knife on a pfd or mounted near your anchor area.

Grundens variation of it with a little beefier sheath:  https://shop.grundens.com/shop/accessories/gage-deck-knife/

Dexter Russell has a similar knife that is inexpensive with a more aggressive serration, but the blade is a little shorter:  http://www.fishboneknives.com/dexter-russell-sani-safe-3-1-2-utility-net-knife-with-sheath-15353-s151sc/

This is the cheapie Dexter I mounted on my old Arima, and I also have one zip tied to the bow rail of my tin can up by the anchor bracket:  https://www.tackledirect.com/dexter-russell-3in-sani-safe-net-knives.html

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Fisherdv

The Grudens gage deck knife you mention is only $17.99 at TackleDirect. I like how you can wear it on your bib straps. I have the Grudens gage bibs and with that knife I would have a nice "matching" outfit  :biggrin:

GregE

Tackle Direct ships for $3.99.  This will match my RED Gage rain gear  NOt these Orange ones
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

headduck

Funny...I guess I didn't think too much about the knife being a fashion accessory... :fishing: