News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

April Razor Clam Dates

Started by GregE, March 19, 2018, 03:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregE

Note the times are extended into early afternoon on the last two  Mid day Clamming  :applause:

Tentative razor clam digs in March and April:

April 19, Thursday, 9:46 a.m.; -0.9 feet; Mocrocks
    April 20, Friday, 10:37 a.m.; -0.7 feet; Mocrocks
    April 21, Saturday, 11:34 a.m.; -0.4 feet; Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Mocrocks (digging hours will be extended to 1 p.m.)
    April 22, Sunday, 12:38 p.m.; -0.1 feet; Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Mocrocks (digging hours will be extended to 2 p.m.)

March dates were earlier last week
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

BruceL2_Fish

Greg, I will keep in touch, maybe that first Thursday.
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

GregE

That could be good,  I've never clammed Mocrocks   :arms:
Greg
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

dw

Greg,

The Razor Clam Destroyer and I hit Copalis (Ocean Shores) last weekend. Friday was great. It was warm, no wind, no surf surge, we had our limits in 30 minutes, half were med-large (5 inches), the rest medium, no dinks (I do keep every clam), I clammed in sunglasses, and to end the day, we sat with a cold one and watched the sun set. Saturday not so good. 13 clams after about 1 1/2 hours. The only upside is, they were all about 5 to 5 1/4 inches. We are going to try Twin Harbors in April.

dw
'85 Sea Sprinter
'11 E-TEC 50hp
'06 Yamaha F4

waldocod

We were there last Friday as well! I was sweating in my bibs! That weather was awesome.
2002 Sea Legend HT "Crazy Carol"

GregE

Heading to Twin Harbors Sat and the PSA OCEAN MEETING IN WESTPORT @ 6

Change to the locations- check the reg not my memory

April 19, Thursday, 9:46 a.m.; -0.9 feet; Mocrocks
    April 20, Friday, 10:37 a.m.; -0.7 feet; Mocrocks
    April 21, Saturday, 11:34 a.m.; -0.4 feet; Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Mocrocks   CAPOLIS Added
(digging hours will be extended to 1 p.m.) CAPOLIS Added
    April 22, Sunday, 12:38 p.m.; -0.1 feet; Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Mocrocks (digging hours will be extended to 2 p.m.)
Greg

GregE

Quote from: BruceL2_Fish on March 19, 2018, 05:35:16 PM
Greg, I will keep in touch, maybe that first Thursday.

Did you make it over Bruce?
Greg

BruceL2_Fish

Nope, ended up going gopher shooting in Montana. 
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

GregE

How do you cook your gophers.......  ?   :shrug9:   :biggrin:

We met Hydroman Jim and Hannah at Ocean Shores-  I've never seen such a crowd clamming - close to 2000 IMEstmate

Jim and his friend Gary (and wife ) got their limits or pretty close.....  Judy and I got there at 1015 for a 1130 low and were late. Saw many limits coming out as we walked in thru the gopher holes in the sand.  Ended up with 5
Greg

Kimbrey

Twin Harbors was fairly tough or at least tough where we were digging.  Took a lot of pounding to get our limits Saturday but we didn't have a lot of time between each wave.  Today was tougher.  My brother came down from Olympia so we headed to the same spot as yesterday  but finally giving up with 6 or 7 clams each.  We moved around 0.4 of a mile North.  It was looking a bit grim also until I moved to the East side of the spit.  The shows that came from pounding with our pound sticks were very subtle.  Jim and I finished off our limits fairly quick after we figured it out.  My wife decided today after our slow start at the original spot to stay in the truck so no limit for her.  Regardless it was good to have her along.

I may have to alter the design of my pound stick which is a PVC pipe with a short galvanized close nipple with a pipe cap on the end.  The pipe cap makes a bit too much of a splash when trying to spot shows in the water so I might change the diameter.  Also a bit less weight could be easier on the old arm and wrist.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Craneman

I may have to alter the design of my pound stick which is a PVC pipe with a short galvanized close nipple with a pipe cap on the end.  The pipe cap makes a bit too much of a splash when trying to spot shows in the water so I might change the diameter.  Also a bit less weight could be easier on the old arm and wrist.

Kimbrey, I have the same pounding stick ,I made several years ago. I put some wet sand in the pvc pipe and like you said to much splash. I'm going to put a wood plug in the end and sharpen it to suit I also have a lanyard on it for easy retrieval. Wife and I limited Saturday but wasn't easy

Moe
91 15 ft Sea Hunter
45 hp Honda
4 hp Yamaha

Kimbrey

Yup the lanyard is a must.  I stick it on the belt that holds my bag.
Back in my shovel digging days it was easy to flip the shovel over and pound with the handle but three or four years ago I moved to the gun.....age I guess.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

dw

We were staying at a place, pretty much right across from Ace Hardware, on the beach. We didn't get there until Saturday afternoon but from what I heard, from the In-Laws, it was chaos. The rigs were parked 3 deep. Sunday was just a normal "really nice day" crowd. We got our limits but it took between 1 1/2 to 2 hours. The size was a touch better than good. And it has been a very look time since I have been on the beach for 3 days in a row with sunglasses on!

dw
'85 Sea Sprinter
'11 E-TEC 50hp
'06 Yamaha F4