News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Starboard edges

Started by davidsea, March 12, 2018, 09:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidsea

Any helpful hints for cleaning the porous, router-cut edges on the white Starboard panels in a '96 Arima?  A pressure washer seems to do the best of anything I've tried so far, but if anyone has a better method, I'd love to hear about it.
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

croaker stroker

Welcome.

Sorry. I don't have a better solution. Your method is the best I've heard.

I hope Arima has changed to the standard non-porous King Starboard on the new boats.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

Maybe a bleach solution brushed on... but you're probably doing the most possible.   However, at some point you just have to let the boat be what it is and enjoy it. 
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Hunter

Maybe a buffing wheel and some polishing compound. 
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Yachter Yat

Perhaps those edges could be sealed, in some way, to prevent this from happening.

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

StreamFixer

Keep in mind that Starboard is HDPE and NOTHING adheres to it.  The only way to seal that material is with heat (melt it)

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

AlexB

I wonder if hydrogen peroxide or oxy clean might do it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ramblin' Rose - 2018 SC19 w/ Honda BF150 and BF8

Fisherdv

It seems like mold and dirt can sure stick to it  :shrug9:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Diablo

That's right nothing sticks to starboard except dirt and blood.  :doh:
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

AJFishin

I use a surface cleaner named Spray Nine (from Home Depot), and a good quality bristle scrub brush. Works well on cleaning the starboard to remove grease, dirt, dried up fish blood, etc. It doesn't work if the starboard has a discoloration stain that has been sitting for years.
I also use the spray and a microfiber rag on the fiberglass to clean stuff off.

From what I understand spray nine is kind of like 409, but a little stronger.

Also if you have a clothes steamer, a clean bristle brush, and white towel, that has worked for me too.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Tunacious

Ive learned that over time you start to not notice things like that.  Just fish  :cha:

croaker stroker

I don't have the edge problem because I used the Standard Starboard. But, the Spray nine does work good for cleaning.

***I will probably clean my boat if I ever have to sell it.

Quote from: Tunacious on March 13, 2018, 09:37:41 AM
Ive learned that over time you start to not notice things like that.  Just fish  :cha:

haha. So true !!!

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

dbhazjack

Mr Clean Magic Erasers and 409 works pretty good.
2013 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker. SOLD

StreamFixer

Like many folks on here, I most often use my boat to fish, not eat off of...   :whistle:   Just sayin'

As far as dirt and mold sticking, I doubt it is, just looks that way while hiding in the pores of the material...

StreamFixer 
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Markshoreline

I'm sure my boat is a lot dirtier than I think it is!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

davidsea

Thanks to all for your input.  The best combo so far - and the last one I'm going to try - is this:   
  1)  wet down the panel so it doesn't streak    2)  brush on a 60/40 mix of bleach and water, let sit for 3 min.   3) scrub edge hard with a very short-bristle brush, then use Spray Nine  (good call, AJ)   4) remove the whole mess with a pressure washer
  I'm not trying to be super-picky about all this, but I'm re-doing a 21 year old boat ( SeaRanger 19 Hdtp. w/bulkhead).  There are LOTS of cruddy exposed edges, and since I have the boat apart anyway, why not clean it up?
1996 SR19 Hdtp. - 2018 Honda  BF115D
2009 Duroboat 16 CC, Honda BF50  -  SOLD
and 19 other boats (I think, lost count)

Yachter Yat

Not sure if I like that stuff.  If I ever bought another Arima, I'd be looking into having the factory install teak-veneered marine plywood panels instead of starboard.  Subjective (I know), but I think it would look a helluvalot better. IMO, starboard is.....BLAH!  Way too Spartan for my taste.   Can't say for sure, but might even be stronger.  My 2 Yen.

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Omega3

I am wondering if once the edges are clean if they could be burnished?A polishing wheel to semi melt the edge to eliminate some of the porosity?
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

croaker stroker

Quote from: Omega3 on March 18, 2018, 07:54:37 AM
I am wondering if once the edges are clean if they could be burnished?A polishing wheel to semi melt the edge to eliminate some of the porosity?

Try it on a piece you don't care about.

I have the solid, non-porous Starboard and was only trying to clean up the machine marks. Polishing wheel didn't work for me. Torch also didn't work.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Yachter Yat

Why is it that I'm beginning to think putting starboard in a boat is something like wearing a white tuxedo as a contestant in a pig wrangling contest?  Hey.......it's just a question. :whistle:  Really though, I hate to say this, but I've seen a couple of Arimas here on the East Coast with starboard, and yes, there was dirt and mold clinging to that stuff.  And yes, they were boats that appeared to have spent a fair amount of time out in the elements.   Now tell me, does anybody think teak-veneered marine plywood wouldn't be more durable, or perhaps any more expensive than starboard?  :shrug9: 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

Just buy the regular Starboard like Boston Whaler and most other manufacturers. Stay away from the "lightweight" Starboard filled with bubbles. It's not that much lighter anyway.  :twocents:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Omega3

Quote from: Yachter Yat on March 18, 2018, 12:34:33 PM
   Why is it that I'm beginning to think putting starboard in a boat is something like wearing a white tuxedo as a contestant in a pig wrangling contest?  Hey.......it's just a question. :whistle:  Really though, I hate to say this, but I've seen a couple of Arimas here on the East Coast with starboard, and yes, there was dirt and mold clinging to that stuff.  And yes, they were boats that appeared to have spent a fair amount of time out in the elements.   Now tell me, does anybody think teak-veneered marine plywood wouldn't be more durable, or perhaps any more expensive than starboard?  :shrug9: 

Yat
Starboard will outlast any marine plywood especially if it is left out in the elements.There is a reason most boats and ships are not made out of wood these days.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8