News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

First gen sea explorer repower options.

Started by amazing grace, March 11, 2018, 09:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amazing grace

I am wondering about a repower for a first gen sea explorer. Probably used as I do not have $6-8k for a new one. I would love a four stroke or e-tec. Even a two stroke yamaha would fit the bill.
I am just wondering what the collective thinks. I am pretty open and thinking a 50hp or 60hp.  Hoping someone here  has one maybe or knows where a gem might be hiding.  :smile1:

Thanks
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

polarbill1999

Would think you could get a 50/60hp merc command thrust for around that new?  Also, the 60hp tohatsu is just a rebadged Honda.  They make a low gearing version of that.  The Suzuki 60hp would be a great option as well. 
Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

amazing grace

Thanks PB, so many great new options for sure. But even in 50hp with controls and install I am sure I would be pushing $7k.
I am hoping to find a quality used unit for half of that.

I would love to go new. But just don't have the budget for it unless something changes. Should I buy a lottery ticket? Where is Woody's old lottery ticket? Russ, you still have it? shrug9:    :smile1:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

polarbill1999

I totally misread your post.  I thought you had a budget of 6-8. 
Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

ohmytodd

I've been eyes open for something similar for about a year now to no avail. The closest I've come are Mercs in the 4500-6k range. Anything sub-$4k is either a mechanic's special or it's gone in hours. But the good news is my old Johnson was just serviced and runs great, so I'll just suck it up for another year of mixing fuel and huffing oil fumes and save for a '17 Chaser next Spring.
1997 Sea Ranger 19 Skip Top Hey Nineteen, 2021 Suzuki DF140, 2019 Suzuki DF9.9

Habberdasher

I have been on the same quest in Canada 🇨🇦 and am going trout fishing in my row boat ! the best I could find is a new Honda 50 as it comes with controls and prop.
1988 Sea Hunter 60 Suzuki 5hp Mariner
1958 9 ft moulded birch 1958 3 hp Johnston and a 30 pound electric

amazing grace

habber, don't like the e-tec 60hp? Maybe we should try to work something out.  :whistle:

I have a commercial C115 Yamaha two stroke I was keeping for a project boat but that is not going to happen so I will be looking to move or trade it so I can get the motor I want for this Arima. 
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

BRETT

my 1988 Johnson 60 is being removed form my 1988 SE as we speak. It has been a great motor I just wanted to re-power with a 4 stroke.
1989 2018 f70, 9x9 Lenco TT