News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

New Pup

Started by Hunter, March 11, 2018, 07:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter

"Please allow me to introduce our pup, he's a man of health and grace".... 

3 weeks old on Friday..   We bring him home on April 7 at the ripe old age of 7 weeks.    Name is Jagger.   Yes......after Mick....cause even when he's in his 70's (in dog years)...he'll still be Bring'n It!!

MOM

DAD

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

GregE

That's great!!  Lab ears are very therapeutic

NOw, you could name him Jaeger (pronounced Yeager in German  = Hunter ) and still call him Jagger   :biggrin:  There's a double play on names
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Markshoreline

2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

BruceL2_Fish

Congrats, Labs are great dogs. 
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Kimbrey

Love the labs.  We've had/have three through the years.  The black one "Char" was the calmest and loved her morning rub/massage.  Then along came "Sage" a couple of years later to keep Char company.  She was yellow and somewhat whacko...all about having a good time and always demanding attention.  Char lasted around 12, Sage 13 and now we have another yellow "Tater" who just had her 10th birthday.  We were hoping she would outgrow some of her whacko-ness but sigh....must be the yellow or blonde in them.  I just wish she would sleep in once in awhile.

When we got Char several years ago we were thinking short haired dog not much hair to deal with.  Boy were we wrong.  Labs shed and shed and shed.  Gotta love them though.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

Wiley

Fortunate is the man that's honored with the company of a dog and he looks like a beauty. Fortunate is the dog with a good home and owner. Congrats to both of you.
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

Hunter

Quote from: Kimbrey on March 12, 2018, 10:14:34 AM
Love the labs.  We've had/have three through the years.  The black one "Char" was the calmest and loved her morning rub/massage.  Then along came "Sage" a couple of years later to keep Char company.  She was yellow and somewhat whacko...all about having a good time and always demanding attention.  Char lasted around 12, Sage 13 and now we have another yellow "Tater" who just had her 10th birthday.  We were hoping she would outgrow some of her whacko-ness but sigh....must be the yellow or blonde in them.  I just wish she would sleep in once in awhile.

When we got Char several years ago we were thinking short haired dog not much hair to deal with.  Boy were we wrong.  Labs shed and shed and shed.  Gotta love them though.

For us.... it's the Chocolate that's nuts.....but we still love her.   Right now we have her (12 years old) and a 14 month old black 3/4 Lab 1/4 Chesapeake Bay....   We run a real tight ship when it comes to our dogs as they are restricted to the loveseat or apparently anywhere else other than the expensive dog beds we have for them!!   Plus, lots of other neighbor labs around here that all like to come over when I have a dog class in session..   

All Garmin Electronics

Hydroman

Not sure how you got them all to sit at the same time. 

Our current lab is yellow and 12 years old and she is the first one to be a house dog, previous ones were 1 yellow, 2 black and 1 chocolate, the chocolate one was LOCO.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

dbhazjack

Hunter! You are a good man, at least the dogs think so, and that's saying saying something! I remember seeing something that has always stuck with me that went something like, "Try to be the person your dog thinks you are!"

I miss my chocolate lab Gracie, passed in 2013. Seeing your pup has the wheels turning......
2013 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker. SOLD

amazing grace

Life changing, for about 3-4 years :bigshock:. Hope you are up for it. They bring a lot of joy too :applause:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Hunter

Quote from: amazing grace on March 12, 2018, 10:32:11 PM
Life changing, for about 3-4 years :bigshock:. Hope you are up for it. They bring a lot of joy too :applause:

Actually......life changing for me and my wife would to be without dogs in all varying stages between pups and seniors.   A dogless home is just a house for us. 
All Garmin Electronics

amazing grace

We have dogs too and love them both. But the older you get the harder it is to do the puppy thing. That is reality.
Wish you a long healthy life together. All of you.  :smile1:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Yachter Yat

My wife grew-up in a family with a much-loved dog.  I swear, that thing lived to be a hundred....in doggy years, at least.  When she died, they cried for weeks.  My wife said she can't go through that again.   These days, we've gone with "Teddy Bears".  A lot easier to clean-up after. :jester:

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

AJFishin

Quote from: Hunter on March 13, 2018, 06:30:22 AM

Actually......life changing for me and my wife would to be without dogs in all varying stages between pups and seniors.   A dogless home is just a house for us.

Well said Hunter  :applause:

Also congrats on your new family member and those are some well loved dogs.   :smile1:
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Hunter

Thanks for all the great comments and it's always great to know how many "dog" folks are out there.   

As hard as it is to go through losing one, and the total unfairness of the short lives that they have, I wouldn't trade the world for the fulfillment of the 100% unconditional love that these critters grace us with.   I actually was really sad when I heard that Chasin B had to say goodbye to Riggles.  Even though I never met either of them....I kinda felt like I lost a good friend that I had come to know through the posts on this forum.  Those of us that know, get it.   And those who don't get it, will never know.   It's the hardest part of the deal.... but it is a responsibility that we all take on when we make the deal.

As far as the puppy thing goes...yeah it can be trying...but we wouldn't trade that part for anything.   The rules and socializing to the pack that comes in those early weeks and months are so important to the lifelong happiness of the pup and the pack.  Jagger, just like all of his previous pack members will know the love and the rules and the security and the happiness of family from day one.   We've gone through this many times and have it pretty much down pat.   It's a formula of positive reward reinforcement and crate training that works for us.   Our last pup (Cody now 14 months) had less than a handful of accidents in the house and was out of the crates and fully housebroken at 4 months.  The "accidents" were our fault for not paying attention. 

Anyway.....rambling on here but its a subject that I love.   

This new pup will be rid'n in the truck everywhere we can take him from day one.  He'll be in the boat at 8 weeks old on his first cruise.  He'll be on the beach and watching his big brother and sister swimming at 10 weeks and when he's ready, he'll have his first swim.  That will be his decision.  He'll be trained on the gun and shot over at 10 - 12 weeks.  We have our own custom program for this and so I'll tell it here because it's how I've always done it and it's always worked for us. 

I bring the 12 gauge and a vest pocket of cheap bird shot loads.   We walk out back to the DNR logging roads and wife has pup on a lead at about 200 yards away but clear line of sight.  I fire off a round, pup gets mucho praise and a treat and both move 20 paces closer.   Another round and 20 paces closer.   Repeat about 20 times and then pup and wife on lead are finally standing right next to me and I'm firing off rounds and pup is happy, getting treats and good with the gun.  Anyway... that's how we do it.

I could go on all night and probably write a book on love of labs...... but I 'll finally end this diatribe with this pic of our front door entry which really tells the story...  If you come to our house and don't like dogs....then it's a real easy solution.... don't come to our house.

All Garmin Electronics

Markshoreline

Nice story, Hunter!  Really enjoyed reading it.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

AJFishin

That's a funny sign Hunter and I can picture what happens  :jester:
Excellent story :smile1:

Kimbrey

Big thumbs up for the crate method.  It just plain out works.
2005 Sea Legend --Sold--replaced with 26' Duckworth—Sold—replaced with 28' Farallon Walkaround

rclark4179

Hard to believe this pup is of the same species.

Got her in January after we had to put down my wife's lap dog.(Pancreatic cancer). She was inconsolable for two weeks so this "Maltypoo" fit the bill as a lap dog and companion for our Shnauzer.( who was also inconsolable). Probably not the smartest circumstances to acquire a new dog. Regardless, she has fit right in, seems smarter than most puppies I have dealt with and has sprouted up to 3.1 pounds.
Fish do not fear my name...crab however, do, and should.

81 15' Hunter "SKUA", 40 hp MERC, British Seagull kicker (SOLD)
85 17' Chaser, "SKUA II"' 90 hp MERC,9.9 Yamaha

Kimbrey

Quote from: rclark4179 on March 16, 2018, 08:52:13 AM

Got her in January after we had to put down my wife's lap dog.(Pancreatic cancer). She was inconsolable for two weeks so this "Maltypoo" fit the bill as a lap dog and companion for our Shnauzer.( who was also inconsolable). Probably not the smartest circumstances to acquire a new dog. Regardless, she has fit right in, seems smarter than most puppies I have dealt with and has sprouted up to 3.1 pounds.
Actually I think it's one of the best ways to get over a loss of a dog.  Our first dog Keta a Cocker was 17 when we lost her.  The wife was a wreck but a week later we had Char our 1st lab.  It helps having a fur ball around to bug you. 

AJFishin

Quote from: Kimbrey on March 16, 2018, 11:26:32 AM
Quote from: rclark4179 on March 16, 2018, 08:52:13 AM

Actually I think it's one of the best ways to get over a loss of a dog.  Our first dog Keta a Cocker was 17 when we lost her.  The wife was a wreck but a week later we had Char our 1st lab.  It helps having a fur ball around to bug you.

:yeahthat: I agree, it definitely helped us and our German Shepard after our Pug passed away.