News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Lowrance HDS-7 gen 3, vs. Simrad G07 XSE?

Started by Fisherdv, March 04, 2018, 07:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

If anyone has experience with these units which one would you prefer and why. I'm looking into both of these units to replace my older 5" Lowrance I have now and also for the NMEA 2000 capability to get engine data. I like the looks of the Simrads screen a bit better, (to me it looks a little more professional) I believe they are both made by the same company. Also, which one has the better maps and faster refresh rate for the maps? I really need good, accurate bottom contour lines and depth. Thx

I should also mention that my Standard Horizon VHF has GPS and DSC built in.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

FishAddict

If you want the ability to add more to your system such as a second screen, radar, auto pilot and other gadgets then the Lowrance gen3 or a Simrad NSS Evo 2 or 3.  I went with the Lowrance network capable units and love it.  My uncle went with a Simrad GO7 for his stand alone sonar and my old gen 1 lowrance for a gps map and he has been really happy with it.  If he ever decides to add radar or auto pilot he will need another head unit  so the bottom line is how much if any do you want to be able to expand your system in the future?
21ft Sea Ranger w/Yamaha F150

FishAddict

If you get head units with the insight maps it should be the same on both units.  I have looked at areas I normally fish on both and they were the same for map details.
21ft Sea Ranger w/Yamaha F150

Fisherdv

Ya, your right, the map details probably have more to do with the mapping software/card vs. the unit. On my current unit I think I have navonics gold and I have no problems with it. If I come up on a shelf on my mapping screen as soon as my boat hits that contour line the depth drops. Pretty accurate. I could make due with my current unit for a while but I really need the NMEA 2000 capability to have the engine data. My Honda Faria tach quit working so currently I have no way to read engine RPMS. I waiting for a new gauge to arrive. Ultimately I want to link engine data and the HDS-7 and the Simrad GO7 XSE are the 2 units im considering in that price range

Diablo

Either unit will work. The Simrad would probably be more $$ for the same capabilities. The built in maps are not useful except for knowing you are on planet earth. Your gold map probably would work in the new unit. Then again you could upgrade to the current navionics map for 50% off. If you don't have a map version that has Sonar Charts then you should definitely upgrade. I'll add a link below so you can see the difference.
Now let's spend more of your money. You will need a NMEA 2K cable for your motor. Connect that to your new, if you don't have one, NMEA 2K backbone. That backbone connects to your new multipurpose display and can connect to your radio and maybe to your older sonar unit. Simple as that.  :biggrin:

Navonics
https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@12&key=k%7DbaHldljV
In the lower left of the map there is a symbol to turn on and off the Sonar Charts.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Fisherdv

Thx, Diablo. Yeah I was factoring in all the associated costs including engine cables and NMEA 2000 backbone. About another B.O.A.T. buck all said and done with a new unit :doh:

Fisherdv

It appears that my nav gold I have now (over 5 years old) does show that sonar chart. When I zoom in it has the depth in numbers on all the contour lines. Are you saying if I buy a new unit with Insight USA that it won't show those depth numbers in feet, on the contour lines without adding a sonar chart on top of the chart that comes with the unit?

ATGEP

My new carbon HDS has the insite charts and they are quite nice. My charter captain friend likes the insite charts better than the navionics.

Diablo

Quote from: Fisherdv on March 05, 2018, 03:17:29 PM
It appears that my nav gold I have now (over 5 years old) does show that sonar chart. When I zoom in it has the depth in numbers on all the contour lines. Are you saying if I buy a new unit with Insight USA that it won't show those depth numbers in feet, on the contour lines without adding a sonar chart on top of the chart that comes with the unit?

OK. Apparently I never downloaded insight maps to my unit which is a HDS 9 gen3. The generic map that is built in isn't useable. On the gen 3 I can have two SD cards/maps. You can only use one map at a time.
Any map you have should show the depth contour line with numbers. Navionics Sonar Charts show contour lines up to one foot. Insight might also. So not every line is numbered, there are just too many and can be very cluttered in areas with a lot of structure or depth changes. You can turn off the Sonar Charts which I do most of the time.
FYI You can also change the depth to meters. I found that useful when using my electric reel which reads in meters.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Fisherdv

It may be hard to see in this photo but here is what my navonics gold card looks like. If you look really close you can see all the depth numbers. I really need to have a mapping card that shows like that. It's also not all cluttered with stuff. The bay can go from deep to really shallow real quick and I look at those numbers a lot. I also rely on the numbers for fishing too. Maybe my good old nav gold card would work in one of those new units :shrug9:

Threeweight

They both show it... Sonar charts show a lot more detail.

Standard Navionics+ chart: 

Same location with Navionics Sonar chart:

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Fisherdv

Thx for the pics. After looking at the difference of a few different charts I think I like the Nav + the best. West Marine had 2 HDS-7's in stock a few days ago for a reasonable price and guess what? They are gone now :doh: Looks like they are getting hard to find anywhere at a decent price now. The Simrad is still available and a lot cheaper and I just saw that they are running a $100 rebate for a while. I don't think I would ever add radar on a 16 ft boat and as long as I have a good chart and engine data maybe the Simrad GO7 would suit my needs as a stand alone unit. My VHF already has GPS built in.

Dbobby23

Quote from: Fisherdv on March 06, 2018, 02:45:25 PM
Thx for the pics. After looking at the difference of a few different charts I think I like the Nav + the best. West Marine had 2 HDS-7's in stock a few days ago for a reasonable price and guess what? They are gone now :doh: Looks like they are getting hard to find anywhere at a decent price now. The Simrad is still available and a lot cheaper and I just saw that they are running a $100 rebate for a while. I don't think I would ever add radar on a 16 ft boat and as long as I have a good chart and engine data maybe the Simrad GO7 would suit my needs as a stand alone unit. My VHF already has GPS built in.

I just went through this same process trying to buy a raymarine axiom at west marine. First look on eBay and find the gen 3 or whatever specific unit you want. Then right down the numbers, model etc. then go back to West marine and most likely they will have that package for the same price or price match but not on the shelf for that price. Sounds crazy but it's true. Most company's like Lowrance hummingbird and raymarine are directly listing on eBay for much cheaper prices than in the brick and mortar stores. West marine was sold and the new owner really wants to be competitive. Here's just one gen 3 I found in 30 seconds on eBay.
1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi

Fisherdv

I ordered a Lowrance HDS 7 gen 3. I found a good price with free shipping and no sales tax. I also ordered a NMEA 2000 starter kit and the Honda cable. Can't wait to hook it up. For now I'm going to try my HDI 83/200, 455/800 chirp and downscan transducer I currently have. I think I may go with a TM 150 chirp transducer next. It comes loaded with Insight USA, so will see how I like it. I may just upgrade my Navionics gold card to Navionics+ and get the half off discount. Gonna be cool to finally have the engine data  :party: