News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Springfield M1A

Started by Hunter, February 25, 2018, 04:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunter

So....I've convinced myself and my better half that we need a new addition to the family.

So I'm finally..... and literally..... pulling the trigger on a rifle that I've wanted for the past 10 years after firing a friends up in the clear-cut behind our property 10 years ago. 

Springfield M1A- Loaded - in 7.62X51MM NATO (.308WIN).   

I have always loved the simplicity, durability, reliability and aesthetics of the M14 platform... I'm not at all interested in the Scout or SOCUM..  I most definitely am going with the walnut stock.  I also am going with the Parkerized carbon 22in barrel rather than the SS as I really want the full classic M14 look.   The only real change from the full M1A platform is that the "Loaded" model option has the match grade barrel and sights. 

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/m1a-loaded/#MA9222
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

croaker stroker

You get three free mags.    :party:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

BruceL2_Fish

The M1A has been on my wish list for a long time.  I'm jealous, good for you. 
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Markshoreline

Those new, modern rifles are price competitive with the old ones the CMP sells...
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

GregE

9.7 # empty for the m-14 model that followed if memory serves.  Fired the B-4-1 company record fire high score with one back in summer of 1966 @ Ft Polk LA..  Pop up targets out to 300 meters with iron sights. 8 of the top 10 scorers were from the NW go figure.
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

jamaica

I've had mine for years. Super accurate at short and very long range but quite heavy, that's probably why the military left it (except the Navy). I think he military should have never gone to 5.56 platform. I don't believe in the concept of "keep spraying and keep um ducking". A rifleman should be able to place a shot.
1994 19' Sea Ranger 150hp Merc 2stk 9.9hp Yam

Redhawk

Quote from: Hunter on February 25, 2018, 04:03:10 PM
So....I've convinced myself and my better half that we need a new addition to the family.

So I'm finally..... and literally..... pulling the trigger on a rifle that I've wanted for the past 10 years after firing a friends up in the clear-cut behind our property 10 years ago. 

Springfield M1A- Loaded - in 7.62X51MM NATO (.308WIN).   

I have always loved the simplicity, durability, reliability and aesthetics of the M14 platform... I'm not at all interested in the Scout or SOCUM..  I most definitely am going with the walnut stock.  I also am going with the Parkerized carbon 22in barrel rather than the SS as I really want the full classic M14 look.   The only real change from the full M1A platform is that the "Loaded" model option has the match grade barrel and sights. 

http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/m1a-loaded/#MA9222
The M1A is a wonderful gun to shoot, Springfield has done a good job keeping it reliable and accurate over the decades.
Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke

Hunter

So it finally arrived and I did the transfer at my local FFL (Granite Falls Hardware).  Beautiful piece..   Has the tag that say's "Not Legal in California".     So......going to California in September for some open range time with good buddy that lives Grass Valley.   

All Garmin Electronics

GregE

CA X for the removable magazine?  or just CA.......   :nono:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Wiley

Has the tag that say's "Not Legal in California".     So......going to California in September for some open range time with good buddy that lives Grass Valley.   

Yup yup, just rub our noses in it why don't ya... hope that new pup gets better treatment than us Californios
Love the state, hate the politics....
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

Markshoreline

My understanding is that removable mags in Cali require a tool rather than a push button to remove them in order to be legal...

Rifleman

I think it also has a sticker that says its made from materials that causes Californians to get cancer or something to that
effect.  Great firearm, have fun.  Rifleman

HemiGTX

Congratulations!  Let us know how she shoots. 
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

Hunter

I've been reading up a bit on the M14 forum (M1A is the same weapon without the fully auto selector switch) and the main issue seems to be that certain rifles now have to be registered as Assault Weapons in CA as defined below..

SECTION 1. Section 30515 of the Penal Code is amended to read:
30515. (a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, "assault weapon" also means any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that does not have a fixed magazine but has any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.

CA Legal M1a rifles have none of the above.

My new M1A has the factory Springfield Flash Suppressor so apparently this is what makes it non CA compliant.   If I removed the FS and replaced with a muzzle brake, than apparently it would be CA compliant.   Really gets confusing.

All Garmin Electronics

StreamFixer

I found the ban on thumbhole stock silly...  Really???  The thumbhole makes a difference?  I have only seen them on the occasional target rifle with a bull barrel...  And lord knows, you would want a bull barrel on an "assault" rifle...   :hoboy:

Alas, we are talking California here  ---  silly me   :doh:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Yachter Yat

Oh Fixer............you bad boy, you!  Wait till the "big one" comes to Cali. and they wind-up buying Oregon.  Then you'll see. (haha)

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Hunter

Quote from: Rifleman on March 16, 2018, 08:41:54 PM
       I think it also has a sticker that says its made from materials that causes Californians to get cancer or something to that
effect.  Great firearm, have fun.  Rifleman

Not sure about the cancer thing....but I do know that the M14 platform has caused death from acute lead poisoning on many occasions...

I think pretty much everything causes cancer in CA.   

"Continued and prolonged ingestion of small quantities of ones own saliva for extended periods of time has been shown to cause cancer in the State of California".   
All Garmin Electronics

Yachter Yat

Hunter:   That's scary!  I would not go there if I were you!  I'm telling you......stay away.  You're going to feel like a Raccoon in a Pig pen......Quasimodo  on the runway........the janitor at the Prom.  You know what I mean, right?   It won't be nice.  Just trying to help.  :facepalm:

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Redhawk

Quote from: StreamFixer on March 18, 2018, 10:41:02 AM
I found the ban on thumbhole stock silly...  Really???  The thumbhole makes a difference?  I have only seen them on the occasional target rifle with a bull barrel...  And lord knows, you would want a bull barrel on an "assault" rifle...   :hoboy:

Alas, we are talking California here  ---  silly me   :doh:

StreamFixer
I am still deciding which is more hilarious: the fact that they banned thumbhole stocks or that they believe handguards and adjustable stocks make a gun more lethal.
Sparhawk:
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke

jamaica

They will do anything to mess with us.
1994 19' Sea Ranger 150hp Merc 2stk 9.9hp Yam

Markshoreline

They don't seem to know that AR doesn't stand for assault rifle...

Yachter Yat

That's right!   If I'm not mistaken, I think it came from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArmaLite    So, "AR" isn't assault rifle, it's ArmaLite rifle. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Redhawk

Quote from: Yachter Yat on March 23, 2018, 05:52:27 AM
   That's right!   If I'm not mistaken, I think it came from here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArmaLite    So, "AR" isn't assault rifle, it's ArmaLite rifle. 

Yat
You are correct sir!
Sparhawk:
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke

Hunter

Now if it was an ArimaLite....then we'd really have something to talk about...   
All Garmin Electronics

Markshoreline

Given the climate today, that discussion would probably run afoul of our site's policy about no political postings!