News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

New (to me) canvas top fitting help

Started by baddawg, February 25, 2018, 09:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baddawg

Purchased a used canvas top (Thanks Daheechang!) for my 17SR.  Got it put on and all the snaps positioned in the right spots.  When I put the side curtains on the curtain is a bit too high and won't attach to the lower anchor.  It is about 3/4" short on both sides.  Tried moving the top supports up and down to change the angle and loosened the straps holding the top supports but couldn't find a combination that would work.
Looking at this I see 2 options to make this fix:

Option 1:  Take the end piece off the main support tube and cut it down a little bit on each side, then replace the end tube, lowering the back of the canvas and thus lowering the bottom of the side curtain enough to attach to the anchors.  This seems to me like it would work but I don't want to go cutting something and regret it later.

Option 2:  Move the anchors up.  This seems the most logical, but I really hate drilling new holes in the boat and would like to avoid that if possible.

Am I missing anything?  Anyone have an idea I should try before I go off drilling and/or cutting??

Chief of the Boat

Are you doing this in a garage?  I have heated up the shop with my buddy heater and I was surprised on how much it stretched.  :twocents:

La-Z-Buoy

Ahhhh, the decisions we Arima owners wrestle with.  :stirthepot:

My first thought is I would cut down the support tubes. If you have to you can always go to a canvas guy and get a new support. But once you drill new holes you pretty much can't go back unless you are talented enough to do a good hole filling job. And the old holes are right there where you will see them every time you get in the boat.  :bigshock:

OR, you could go to a canvas guy to start with. He may be able to get you fixed up without too much trouble and expense. Depending on how close one is that would be my first choice.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

E-TEC Pacer

I put my side curtains in a cloth laundry bag and run them in the dryer on low heat for a few minutes and that seems to work nicely. Just long enough for them to warm up.
17' '05 Pacer
2014 E TEC 90
I'd get rid of my wife before I'd get rid of my
E TEC and I really love my wife.

Yachter Yat

Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Nice find Yat, hopefully those would work for him. I guess that would be the easiest option
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

baddawg

Quote from: Yachter Yat on February 25, 2018, 09:50:21 AM
   Would something like these help?  www.boat-snapextenders.org/

Yat

Unfortunately not, it attaches to an oblong anchor and not a snap.

baddawg

Quote from: Chief of the Boat on February 25, 2018, 09:35:56 AM
Are you doing this in a garage?  I have heated up the shop with my buddy heater and I was surprised on how much it stretched.  :twocents:

No garage and since I have to remove the side curtains and lower the top for the boat to fit under the portable garage where it is stored I want to find a solution that allows me to raise the top and put the side curtains on at the boat ramp.

Chief of the Boat

When I bought my 94 SE in December 2010 the side curtains and back drop were never installed and were in the original plastic wrap.  I tried to install in December and had the same results you are having.  I left the sides and backdrop spread out on the carpet in a warm room overnight and I was able to stretch it back into shape. IMO what ruins canvas is how it is stored rolled up wet and dirty. :twocents:

Omega3

If everything else on the top fits good I would figure out how much that small section of side curtain needs to be extended.Take the curtains to a shop and have them extend that area.On my curtains that area is all top material not plastic window should be fairly simple.The last thing you want is to be fighting that thing all the time.It will stretch in the heat but it's colder more often than warm here in Washington.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

Yachter Yat

baddawg;    If I get you correctly, you need extensions equipped with the swivel lock and corresponding eyelet.....correct?  If that's the case, you might be able to have those made.  Maybe check with Canvasguy.

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

58Johnson

Any boat canvas shop can easily make those canvas extender straps custom for you. That would be my choice in this situation.
2002 Sea Chaser 15 11
Yamaha F70 Yamaha F8

Yachter Yat

16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Hydroman

I wouldn't make any major modification until you have the opportunity to check the fit when it is warmer. I know from experience that it is muck easier to put the tops up in the sunshine and warmer weather. You will be surprised on how much it will stretch.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

diodon

2007 21 Sea Explorer.   2007 Suzuki DF140.        2011 Honda 9.9

neild

I'm echoing the others here but I was in your exact place last year. I bought a used top off another Arima for my Sea Ranger. The critical measurements were all the same but when I was home in cold weather I couldn't fit the side curtains to the lower snaps. I left the top unrolled inside and refit it on a sunny day. The fit was tight but it I could get it to connect and a few hours in the sun helped it stretch out.
Allons-y!
1991 19' SR
2017 140 Suzuki

StreamFixer

Hmmmm   Air temp in the high 80's (F) and I am about 1/4 of a snap off using the fancy snap applicator...  And of course it is a corner that really needs to be snapped to keep spray out. 

If I use the extenders, the canvas would flap on the highway, and leak like a sieve .  I don't dare take the canvas/window off or I would likely need to replace the whole thing as it would not go back on most of the snaps on one side...  Much of the piece I am having problems with is the front window. 

Any recommendations?

Streamfixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Salmon King

PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

baddawg

Thanks everyone for all the ideas.  I tried warming everything up and was still wasn't close to being able to attach the lower anchor of the side curtain.  I also took the main support tube out of the mount and moved it around to simulate shortening that tube. That would have worked to make the side curtain anchor at the bottom but it changes all angle of the side curtain along the top of the side window so that idea was scrapped.  I looked at the different options for extenders but all of them would have been too long by the time you put both pieces needed on a strap.  Finally I bit the bullet and drilled some holes and put new anchors on.  They work and hold the side curtain in place and I also didn't have to remove the old anchor so no holes to patch. 

La-Z-Buoy

See, we knew you could figure it out despite our help  :biggrin:  :applause: !
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8