News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Best choice for charging batteries?

Started by newbieb, February 23, 2018, 08:35:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newbieb

Hello again Kind People of the Internet.

What's the best choice for charging my batteries, while my boat is parked in the driveway all winter? :shrug9:
I have:
- dual Optima deep charge batteries (bought both ~3 years ago),
- these are set up on a Blue Sea "add a battery" on-off switch kit (kit 7650), for dual charging when motor (90hp Suzuki) is running...and isolating one of the batteries, yada, yada.

I'd like to just be able to run an extension cord out to the boat, and plug-er-in and forget it for the winter (it's not usually freezing here...).
-what's the 'best' choice for this?

Or, should I perhaps just rip out the Blue Sea 'add a battery' kit and put in some product that also has ability to plug in an extension cord?...if so which kit?

I'm fairly sure this question has been asked many times, but here it is yet again.
- mainly because when I start my research for the proper product, I find a plethora of products and choices for charging boat batteries, many of them seem fairly new,
...and I just don't want "buyers remorse" of installing some-product-or-other, and then have someone knowledgeable say: "Oh, you should have just got blah-blah-blah product XYZ...or just done ABC.

Also, another question:
I already have an Optima 'Digital 400' battery charger in my garage, that I use to keep a 3rd Optima battery charged/conditioned that I use with an electric trolling motor (on another little inflatable boat: a Zodiac).
...the question is:
-Can I simply clip on the Optima charger to one of the batteries in my Arima, without disconnecting anything on the Arima battery (or batteries)?
...would I need to turn the Blue Sea switch to on?...or leave the switch on off?...or turn the switch to "combine batteries"?

In any event, any/all suggestions would be super appriciated.

thanks in advance

La-Z-Buoy

I don't have the "add a battery" set up.

On the last two boats I've had I installed a battery maintainer. It allows you to keep the boat plugged in all the time. I've been very happy with it/them. My current boat has a single unit made for two batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NCOKV0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

GregE

this is the charging set up I've had on several boats.  the charging unit cord is visible that I plug in to the extension cord.

Later boats I've changed the Perko switch to Blue Sea

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Threeweight

Keep the Blue Sea system.  It works great and interferes in no way with a charger.  On my boat, I wired the + leads for the ACR off of the output side of my battery switch, so that it is only operating when the switch is "on". 

You can use your existing charger just fine.  With your current set up, the ACR will bridge and split the charge of your Optima charger if the battery it is connected to reaches its threshold (13.5 volts, I believe).  Since both of your batteries are AGM's and matched, this likely isn't a problem.  Still, I prefer to have the ACR set up so it is only connected when my switch is "on".

There is no reason to turn the main battery switch to anything but "off".

If you want a simple solution that saves you the most hassle, I'd get a 2 outlet Marinco on-board charger like this one, and mount it and connect it to my batteries.

http://www.marinco.com/en/28220

Plug it in and forget it.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

newbieb

Hi Threeweight...mucho thanks for the suggested product...that's exactly the type of advice I was fishing for :-)

58Johnson

You can use most modern traditional battery chargers. I suggest you leave the switch to the off position and charge each battery individually. Attach the charger clamps to the correct posts. Charge starter battery until fully charged. Leave switch in off position. Switch clamps to house battery posts. Charge till fully charged.

A Marinco type on-board charger is the normal permanent installation solution.

The elegant solution is this: A Blue Seas kit with both ACR and on-board charger

https://www.bluesea.com/products/7655/Mini_Add-A-Battery_Plus_Kit_-_65A_%5BNorth_America%5D
2002 Sea Chaser 15 11
Yamaha F70 Yamaha F8

neild

I'm in the same boat as you newbieb, I'm planning on adding a two bank battery charger/maintainer this winter in an 8 or 10 amp model. I'm just waiting for the right product and the right sale price. This is the set and forget option.

Right now I just use an old battery charger on one battery at at time, once both batteries are charged I leave it off for a few weeks then reassess. If your charger has a trickle charge or maintenance mode it can just be left on, but still needs to be switched and checked every so often.
Allons-y!
1991 19' SR
2017 140 Suzuki

First Cabin

I have the 2 bank 10 amp Guest on-board charger just like Greg shows in his picture.  Great to be able just plug it in at home.  I keep the battery switch "OFF" when charging.

My first on-board charger was Marinco.  I found the wire quality was poor(not Marine grade) and my charger failed after one year.  Just my experience, but compare the wire and terminal connections on the Guest versus Marinco.

This is my previous boat install.  Wiring wasn't the prettiest, but it worked.  I like the on-board charger located here.  I can see the status lights of the charger through the holes in the rear panel.

First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Hunter

Decided on the NOCO Gen 2 for my maintenance / charging system when the boat is in the shop.   Also installed the plug port for super ease of use.  Both the plug port cap and the entire solid state smart charger / maintenance unit are 100% waterproof and there is no "thinking" involved other than to unplug it before I pull out of the shop.   Also really nice to be able run the Espar and stereo, etc..... without worry of running down the batts.   Also hoping that this will help battery longevity.    I guess time will tell if this was a good decision.     PS....   Made in USA

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GEN2-Waterproof-Battery-Charger/dp/B003JSJS5I

2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Fisherdv

I also just recently purchased a NOCO charger/maintainer. Like you said, I plug it in when I get home, and unplug when I leave. Very happy with it
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

DevMah

I have the same Guest 2 bank hooked on the battery side of the switch also.

I would recommend any good multistage marine battery charger.

Guest, Marinco, Promariner, Blue Seas....

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Threeweight

I  believe Marinco bought Guest... same units are now sold in black as Marinco.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

tc808

I have the NOCO charger also, no complaints it has maintained my starting and deep cycle battery since I got the boat.

DevMah

Quote from: Threeweight on February 24, 2018, 11:09:33 AM
I  believe Marinco bought Guest... same units are now sold in black as Marinco.

Yes you are correct

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold