News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Fishing Blackmouth's

Started by Dhil12, February 21, 2018, 04:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhil12

One of my fishing buddies and I went back out today and got two. A 23 inch and a 25 inch. We released 3 that were just over 22. My buddy lost one with all his gear to the pesky seal right at the boat :facepalm: we were at Jeff head all day. The fish and bait today were at the southwest side of the shelf. Sorry no pictures today
Darrell
2018 Sea Legend ht with bulkhead
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

rasslingref

Took my two boys and 2 of my grandsons out today for a little 83 mile ride. We had 0 shakers, 1 rockfish, 1 sand dab and got luck with a 32" BM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

Mooch

RR,

Wow.  Nice BM.  :bigshock:

Even nicer to share it and a boat ride on a nice sunny day with the G-Kids. 
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

ATGEP

Chief of the Boat

Rasslingref,
Very Nice!!!
:applause:

BruceL2_Fish

David, was a great day yesterday to spend time with you kids.   That is a great winter Black Mouth!
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Dhil12

Nice fish! I didnt know they made  them at big anymore! :jester:
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

rasslingref

We got lucky on this one.  Anyone ever watched the circus clowns perform?  There were 3 of those clowns on board and 2 in training when the Blackmouth decided he wanted to watch the floating goof balls.  We started fishing an area we've never been before and were doing some recalibrating a downrigger and noticed the other pole was dancing.  No need to set a hook as this guy did that work for us. Fighting the fish and letting the downrigger bring itself back up and I knew both the fish and ball were getting close to the boat.  Boys running around the boat getting the net ready and getting the boots on the grandkids.  Picked up the rod tip to keep the tension on the fish and watched the downrigger ball hit the downrigger and the cable snap. DARN or some word close to that , and then the fish took off on another run. Net gets wrapped around downrigger, youngest clown slips on the cold deck and pushes some bottles of scent off the back hatch into the water.  Oldest clowns reaches over for the bottles and almost slips into the water. Kicker still moving us forward and away go the bottles and a hat.  Fish brings his mouth out of the water and is laughing. This went on for about 10 minutes and finally we were able to get things straightened out and heads right.  Fish swims into the net and as we are pulling it from the water, says "now that was worth the fight."  Great memories and this adventure will stay will the grandkids for a few years.

Kitsap County, WA

GregE

Clowns to the left of me..........
Jokers to the right
Here I am,
Stuck in the middle with you   :jester:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

finfinn

Sounds like Dhil and maybe rasslingref have heard what I have tried to tell my kids all along: good luck happens when thorough preparation meets an opportunity  :jester: . Results are always earned.
Had a glorious SR19 Finnesse.
You can not change the length of your life, but boating does increase its width and depth.

Dhil12

GREAT STORY! Enjoyed it! Where were you fishing? I'm in search of learning some new spots
Darrell
2018 Yamaha 200
9.9 yamaha kicker

Diablo

First story I'm thinking what an awesome fisherman you are.

Second story I'm thinking  :stooges:

I still think you are an awesome fisherman.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

rasslingref

Hehe. If you can't be a good fishermen than you better be a good storyteller.  Dhil12, we were directly east of Sparhawk and his dad's place.   The sad part of the whole clown story is I'm responsible for raising them and I'm afraid they didn't fall too far from the tree.  GregE you made me break out into a grin and singing, Stuck in the middle with you.

Kitsap County, WA

Mooch

Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Fisherdv

2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Markshoreline

RR, Awesome story, thanks for the grins!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

FWilliams

2007 21 ft. Sea Ranger HT 115 Yamaha 4 stroke  9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke. sold

Rokefin

Good story, that's a typical salmon fire drill on my boat. I love the organized chaos on a boat when a salmon hits, I never tire of the emotions and it is totally acceptable to go nuts on my vessel - too much fun.

Bummer about the rigger cable, I'd rather lose a rigger weight than a fish any day of the week.

Salmon Hobo

Thanks for sharing your story. Great you got one in the net there. Now with the downrigger ball hitting the downrigger and snapping..how did that happen..do you know have a trip bead or swivel about 3-5 before the ball...so it trips..and stops our dowrigger motor? On my down riggers I have them set up so they stop with the ball just below the water surface. That makes it safe and no lost balls. What kind of riggers are you running? cheers

Markshoreline

The downrigger shut off is a minor adjustment for RR to make.  Sounds he has the rest of it figured out!  I remember a similar fire drill with my boys.  When we got the fish squared away and were setting the gear back up I started searching around the boat.... Where's the other rod?

rasslingref

We have scotty's but I noticed the counter was off on the one we were adjusting and then I remembered that the stops I had put on the fish side downrigger had slid down and probably weren't going to stop the retrieve before the ball hit the arm.  I'm not the best when it comes to scheduled maintenance but I'm pretty good at break down maintenance.  When will I learn.
Mark now that missing fishing pole is a new one to me.  Tell us more!
Kitsap County, WA

Markshoreline

I would have liked to know what happened- no one did or were playing dumb.   Oh, well, that's why we need so many!

Omega3

My son knocked the net in the water when he was younger and didn't say anything.I saw it behind the boat and realized it was mine!By the time I turned around it was gone.I now completely fill the handle with foam so the net will float,not sure why they don't come that way.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

Fisherdv

2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60