News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

2 batteries on the starboard side SR 17

Started by SB Steve, February 20, 2018, 04:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SB Steve

Pulled my Port side battery to clean up the sponson on that side, and I am considering moving it to starboard.  There appears to be enough room.  That puts roughly 120 lbs. on the starboard side in batteries compared to a 70 pound kicker plus mount on the port.  I am also thinking about putting 3 gallon auxiliary tank also on the port side too...probably another 15-20 lbs. when full. 

Where are the batteries on your SR 17s?

Also I have to replace both the  battery trays.  I could not find any that match the existing Arima mounting holes.  I am assuming I will be filling those and drilling new ones unless someone knows a match.

Holoholo808

Not exactly the same setup but I have a 17 SC with two Group 24 batteries in the starboard sponson with a 9.9 Honda 4 stroke kicker on the port side and it balances out well. My fuel is supplied by the main belly tank (in place of the fishbox) and an auxiliary 12 gallon tank where most have the 27 gallon tank. Seems to balance out pretty well for the most part.

I didn't use battery trays; used battery boxes and had to drill new mounting holes for the straps.
For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

SB Steve

Quote from: Holoholo808 on February 20, 2018, 07:21:27 PM
Not exactly the same setup but I have a 17 SC with two Group 24 batteries in the starboard sponson with a 9.9 Honda 4 stroke kicker on the port side and it balances out well. My fuel is supplied by the main belly tank (in place of the fishbox) and an auxiliary 12 gallon tank where most have the 27 gallon tank. Seems to balance out pretty well for the most part.

I didn't use battery trays; used battery boxes and had to drill new mounting holes for the straps.
I am thinking my boat will balance out well too.  My kicker doesn't weigh as much as yours, but I thought it felt a little heavy at times on the port side.  I have an original 23 gallon tank, but I like to keep a 3 gallon spare onboard.

I was planning on replacing the battery trays, but battery boxes are worth some thought.

troll4fish

To lighten the rear I moved my batteries to the front where the porta potty was in my 92 SC17. I have a Honda 8HP full remote power tilt kicker on the salt boss style Arima bracket and a Merc 90hp EFI 4 stroke so the back end was a little low in the water and that is why I moved my batteries. I do now have 2-3Gal tanks on each side in the rear for the kicker fuel. Boat is better balanced now and planes nicely with little effort.
92 Sea Chaser 17
2004 (2015 total rebuild) Mercury 90 EFI 4 stroke
2014 Honda 8hp full remote power tilt!

SB Steve

Quote from: troll4fish on February 20, 2018, 08:13:07 PM
To lighten the rear I moved my batteries to the front where the porta potty was in my 92 SC17. I have a Honda 8HP full remote power tilt kicker on the salt boss style Arima bracket and a Merc 90hp EFI 4 stroke so the back end was a little low in the water and that is why I moved my batteries. I do now have 2-3Gal tanks on each side in the rear for the kicker fuel. Boat is better balanced now and planes nicely with little effort.
I can't move my batteries up to the cabin at this point.  For now my 2-strokes have less weight than their 4-stroke replacements will eventually have.  The boat hasn't felt ass heavy as of yet, but I think SRs have a little more weight up front anyways because of the cabin?  Still hoping some SR 17 owners will chime in where they keep their batteries before I make the switch.  Hoping to put a 3 gallon tank and fuel filter setup in that port sponson.

fishmiester

I have both batteries (Interstate 1000 cca marine/rv) on the stb side on my 17 chaser. My kicker is an electric start Honda BF15 on a fixed bracket on the port side. However there is not enough room for both batteries behind the starboard so one is in a battery box just in front of the removable panel. It's really not in the way, and I can still get to the D.R'. and bait compartment without tripping on the battery. Cables are routed back behind the panel.
If it swims, Ill  chase it
84 17' Seachaser, 2010 90hp Tohatsu tldi, BF15 Honda Custom welded kicker bracket.#lovethisboat

headduck

I split the batteries on each side with 9. 8 kicker...weight difference between my self and co pilot is about the weight of the kicker...fairly well balanced and no signs of listing

If I always fished with another my size, I would have placed both batteries opposite the kicker.

I use the fore storage for overnighting etc so batteries can't go forward.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Ssericz

I had 2 group 27 in the stb side on my 17 no kicker no problem

tc808

I've had one battery in each sponson with a Honda 9.9 kicker on a fixed bracket on the port side no balance issues.  2 group 24 batteries are a tight fit in either sponson of my 99 vintage chaser would love to know how folks are doing theirs.  I assume dimensions of these batteries haven't changed over the years.

Secret Spot

My 1991 17SR with Yamaha F90 has both batteries in the starboard side sponson.  I upgraded the original 23 gallon main with a 27 gallon tank.  I also carry two 2.5 gallon Scepter Cans for additional fuel in the port sponson.  I don't have a kicker. 

I have set up my Boat for 75 to 100 mile runs and need to carry additional fuel.  The Scepter 2.5 gallon tanks were a little tall at the handle so they didn't fit originally and I had to take a heat gun (before the tanks ever saw gas) to soften the handles and push them down a bit to fit.

With Lenco trim tabs, I have no problem with aft weight or getting on plane.  I've attached a picture of the cans that I have fit into my port side sponson.

Ssericz

Secret spot your boat couldn't do a 100mi run on the gas tank alone??  :wink:

I use to keep 4 (2 on each side) 5 gallon tanks wedged between the rail and sides of the boat perfect fit

Secret Spot

27 gallon main
2 - 2.5 gallon = 5 in port side sponson
1 - 5 gallon placed in the hole in front of the porta-pottie at the cuddy entrance.

Total 37 gallons with my Yamaha F90

Running 100 miles I typically get home with approximately 8 gallons depending on conditions.

GregE

Darn Eric, you must glue those tanks in..........

Port storage seat hold batteries, charger etc with a little room left  for stuff.  PO ran 3  lighter duplex wires and did use a buss distro in the back.
Always something to fix/ upgrade.

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

SB Steve

Thank you guys for all the advice!  :beerchug: Moving the battery over this weekend.