News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

My analog Honda tachometer/hour meter quit today?

Started by Fisherdv, February 19, 2018, 06:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

My Honda tachometer with built in hour meter quit today. It lights up, the hour display works, just the needle doesn't move. When I switch it on, the needle moves a tiny bit from the stop but that's it. I checked the wire connections and the fuse. Any ideas what's going on?
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

DevMah

How old is your boat.

Is it a Nema system or hard wires ?

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Fisherdv

Boat is only about 6 months old, 2018 model. Here's the gauge. It lights up and the digital hour meter works but the needle just moves about a quarter inch and that's it. No response to motor throttle

DevMah

Here is the install manual

http://faria-instruments.com/site_manuals/IS0183_B_Honda_Faria_5Gauge_set.pdf

I would check the back of the meter signal wire then any harness connections.
If they all look good put a voltmeter between the GND and signal you should have a ac voltage present and it should increase as you rev the engine up.
If everything checks  out you may have a bad gauge.
FYI
The hour meter and light just work off the ignition switch voltage.

Dev

Fisherdv

Ok, thanks Dev. I'll have to wait till I take the boat out to the driveway so I can test it with the motor running

DevMah

Fisherdv

The motor has to be running otherwise your gauge will just read zero. There may be nothing wrong with the tach

Dev

Fisherdv

I was out on the water today when I noticed it didn't work. My boat is back in the garage so I'll have to test it later. While I was out I tried playing with the wires (they are all connected tight), and I checked the fuse. All good as far as I can see

Omega3

Let's see how long it takes for Chief to chime in.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

Redhawk

Maybe the needle is stuck or a faulty sensor? Stranger things have happened.
Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1995 Mercury 60 2-stroke
1984 Evinrude 6 2-stroke

La-Z-Buoy

6 months on a new install. No warranty? That new the installer/dealer would be the first place I'd go. Even if I thought I could fix it. At the very least call.  :shrug9:
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Chief of the Boat

It sounds like a bad tach and should be covered by warranty.  I can't speak for Defiance since I don't work there anymore.  :shrug9:

Hunter

Same exact thing happened to the multi-gauge / Tachometer for my BF Honda 250.......rigged last February.   The digital readouts worked fine...but the analog "needle" on the tach quit working.   I took it into the dealer and they said the gauge was bad and replaced it at no charge with a new one under warranty.    Maybe there was a bad batch.   

I do have my Garmin 7610xsv networked in via NMEA 2000 so I still have access to the rpm's...... but that takes up room on my display.   I really like having the analog tach working because I've already determined that my sweet spot for economy is right at about 4,100 to 4,200rpm which makes for about 33 to 34 mph on clean water...depending on current and wind.   
2001 Sea Legend 22 (Gone But Not Forgotten)
2017 Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 ET-HT - Honda BF250 & Honda 9.9 Power Thrust
All Garmin Electronics

"ALWAYS QUESTION AUTHORITY!!"

Fisherdv

Quote from: Chief of the Boat on February 20, 2018, 07:52:07 AM
It sounds like a bad tach and should be covered by warranty.  I can't speak for Defiance since I don't work there anymore.  :shrug9:
Who at Defiance should I contact?

La-Z-Buoy

Quote from: Fisherdv on February 20, 2018, 09:04:51 AM
Quote from: Chief of the Boat on February 20, 2018, 07:52:07 AM
Who at Defiance should I contact?

Belinda
belindadefiancemarine@gmail.com
360-813-3600
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Hydroman

Some Honda Tachs have a rotary selector switch under a round rubber plug, and the contacts get dirty.  Just take not of the as found position, with a small screw driver rotate the switch several time then position the switch in the original position. 

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

Fisherdv

How do I know how many pole my alternator is on my motor to set that dial on the tach? Motor is 2017 Honda BFP60. It shouldn't be dirty yet as the boats only about 6 months old and stored in garage. I'm wondering how my poles on my alternator so I can set up the new tach if needed.

Yachter Yat

Chief..........What?   You no longer work at Defiance? :shrug9:   Just when I was getting ready to send you plans for my stretched Arima.  :doh:

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Hydroman

Quote from: Fisherdv on February 20, 2018, 09:34:26 PM
How do I know how many pole my alternator is on my motor to set that dial on the tach? Motor is 2017 Honda BFP60. It shouldn't be dirty yet as the boats only about 6 months old and stored in garage. I'm wondering how my poles on my alternator so I can set up the new tach if needed.

There should be an arrow on the end of the shaft that you turn that points to the numbers.
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

Fisherdv

Quick update: Belinda at Defiance sent me a new tachometer. All is good now. THANKS Belinda!