Author Topic: Start to the Salmon Season  (Read 342 times)

Offline Salmon Hobo

• Coho
  • “Genius: the ability to prolong one's childhood.”
  • View Gallery
Start to the Salmon Season
« on: February 12, 2018, 11:25:40 AM »
Got the boat out of indoor storage last Sunday and warmed up the engines, new fuel, and put all the crap needed back on the boat.  Tuesday morning the winds really lightened up so figured go for a cruise that morning and get a good shakedown on the engines to start the year. A buddy of mine that recently moved up the coast wanted to come out and check out the coastline. I started noticing I was marking fish quite often. We decided we better put the gear down. Within 10 minutes we had a keeper chinook on and ended up losing it at the back of the boat. My buddy had never fished salmon before..so a few mistakes always happen the first few times.  About an hour later one of the downriggers got slammed and line just started peeling. I knew it was a better fish than the last. My friend wanted me to reel it in since he lost the last, but insisted he had to have a redeemer or he'd lose sleep about the one that got away.  So after I grabbed the rod out of the holder I handed it to him. About 5 minutes later I saw the back for the fish for the first time as it held deep. I didnt say anything to my buddy as I didnt want to him get nervous but I wanted to yell Killer fish when I saw it. Another 5 minutes of runs we got it along side the boat and I netted this nice 19lb hatchery Winter Chinook.  So a good first day to the season..hope it keeps up.  - cheers...

Offline mustang65fbk

Re: Start to the Salmon Season
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 12:05:30 PM »
Wow!  Gorgeous looking fish!
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2004 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

Offline Nineball

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 12:07:15 PM »
Dandy fine job
SC17, 75etec, T9.9

Online Markshoreline

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 12:56:35 PM »
19# is a nice fish!  What area are you in?  Ours opens Friday
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Offline Salmon Hobo

• Coho
  • View Gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 01:18:35 PM »
I am up the BC Coast area is Malaspina Strait.  Fish hit a bare spoon no flasher. I find sometimes in winter with clear water it is worth not spooking fish with a flasher so sometimes run 1 side with bare spoon or anchovy. I guess it worked this time. was using large coyote spoon.

Online BruceL2_Fish

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 01:23:17 PM »
That is a super fish.   Way to go getting your friend back on the rod for this fish.
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Offline Rokefin

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 02:40:34 PM »
Oh yea!  Nice looking salmon.  We have to wait till April and it really doesn't get going till June, sometimes July. Water looked good.

I don't know of too many people down this way (Central Cali) that use spoons in the ocean and I believe in your neck of the woods spoons are common place. I think I better add a few to my artillery. I mostly use bait or the watermelon apex.
1989 17ft Arima Sea Chaser 2010 115 Yamaha 1995 9.9 Yamaha kicker - Bodega mostly

Online rasslingref

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 02:42:14 PM »
Beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 19' SR HT 1999 Honda 90 Yamaha 9.9

Online Chief of the Boat

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 03:10:21 PM »
Nice!!!  :clap:
1994 Sea Explorer 1511 loves whitecaps 2010 Yamaha F-70 2012 Yamaha F-8 with a  Fixed SaltBoss Bracket Lowrance HDS-5 & 7 Gen 2 Standard Horizon Fixed VHF 2150 with AIS

Offline Chasin Baitman

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 03:16:29 PM »
Gorgeous fish!  Bet that's gonna taste gooooood
2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

Offline FWilliams

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 06:01:20 PM »
beautiful fish!!
2007 21 ft. Sea Ranger HT 115 Yamaha 4 stroke  9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke

Offline Rangerman

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 06:06:25 PM »
 :clap: Beautiful fish!!!!!!

Offline Salmon Hobo

• Coho
  • View Gallery
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 09:02:11 PM »
Rokefin,yes I think try some Pacific Northwest spoons. I think if you are just going to get a few try in 4-5" size. Try in a green / chrome or glow versions as those show nicely at 100+ feet deep. I do fish apex's here sometimes but have really only found them effective in top 50 feet for coho and springs sometimes when they are feeding higher in the water column in August-September. Of, course each are and fish will likely have different feeding habits. What are some of you guys other go-to salmon lures/ methods for the ocean season?

Offline blue heron

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 08:14:45 AM »
Nice job, thanks for the story - makes me anxious to get out there.  We usually try to stick with spoons for the ocean salmon because they are easy with no bait mess.  My son only wants to use a spoon and no flasher, but I believe my flasher attracts fish to his benefit.  If the spoons are too slow, I'll try squid behind a flasher.
SR-19
115 Yamaha
8 Yamaha

Offline HemiGTX

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 07:54:41 PM »
I almost always use big Tomic plugs in the ocean, but I haven't tried them in the winter.
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

Offline Salmon Hobo

• Coho
  • View Gallery
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 08:25:43 AM »
I always tow a big Tomic Tubby plug around each trip as I really like playing a fish on a plug. But I looked in my fishing journal and last year the only plug caught salmon I got were 2 in July and 1 in August.  But I do hear of guys catching often in the winter. I'll keep trying. Got a wooden lucky Louise last week at an old boat/ tackle junk show. Even has teeth marks...tempted to rig it up..but most likely just hang it up...I don't see the wooden one much anymore.