News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Started by Fanny Bay fisher, February 10, 2018, 08:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparhawk

Quote from: Mooch on February 18, 2018, 10:15:44 PM
Quote from: GregE on February 18, 2018, 07:43:33 PM
Put a prop guard on the kicker

Something I've been meaning to add.  Any recommendations?

Been looking at a Mac's Troll Prop Saver:
http://propsavers.com/troll-prop-saver/
I personally never seen the need for one as I usually operate in water deep enough to stay out of weeds and I have never had an issue with lines getting caught when trolling. I can see how it would be helpful though.
"God put me on this Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind I will never die" - Calvin and Hobbes

Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1991 Mercury 60 2-stroke

Omega3

There is a thread on how to make your own in tips and tricks.I made mine at a cost of 30 bucks works great.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

GregE

Weeds aren't the issue
Kicker prop guard is needed more when the DR mounts are forward like those pictured.  When things get busy its easy to get the cable angle under the stern.  My last prop repair was $140 
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

StreamFixer

I successfully made on from 2" aluminum strip I picked up at Home Depot years ago.  You will need to brace it from the kicker skeg and make sure there is plenty of room between prop blade and guard.  Way less than $30.  You will need to find a shop that handles sheet metal to roll the diameter for you.  They usually do it for free around here.

I had a 3 blade high thrust prop the 'just' cleared the guard.  A small stick got stuck between the prop and guard resulting in a spun hub ($70 +/-).  Replaced 3 blade with 4 blade and now have plenty of clearance and never had a problem with debris in the water since.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Mooch

What prompted this was I fouled the kicker last time i was out on my other boat hugging the bottom at 140'.  Fortunately, the wire did not wrap and i was able to funally free it, but only after precariously leaning over my kicker while drifting a bumpy rip seam.  Since then I switched to the starboard rigger, but i much prefer to fish off port side when fishing solo.  I also prefer to never foul my kicker again, as my butt's still puckered.  Hoping a prop guard will do the trick.  Sorry to hijack OP thread.  Appreciate the tip SF.  Welcome aboard Fanny Bay.  Stay safe out there los amigos.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

mustang65fbk

Fanny Bay, welcome to the forum. I'm sure others will chime in but what kind of prop do you have? Different fins, pitch and so on will make your top speed higher or lower as well as your time to get up on plane. Maybe look into that first as it's much cheaper to buy a different prop than it is a different engine.
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

GoodDays

Welcome !! Great to have another Canadian on the Forum !    Im in Campbell River so if you are up this way.....  You can buy me a coffee and I Might let you in on a few secrets about this bunch of reprobates  ! 

GoodDays Greg