News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Decided to repower, 2018 Suzuki DF140a

Started by daheechang, February 09, 2018, 11:58:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daheechang

Hey guys,

Super excited to repower the SR19 with this 2018 DF140a.
Decided to go with the White as i thought it matched our hulls better. Also going with the Color display kit to replace my gauges since i wanted to add fuel gauge, tilt gauge and the difference was only a couple hundred.

I will do a writeup on both the motor and service from Performance marine in Everett as the project gets complete.

So far Bunna (sales manager) has been excellent to work with. Upgrading from a 2000 Honda 90.

Also will be adding Lenco trim tabs once motor is on.

BruceL2_Fish

2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Yachter Yat

Wow!  Looks huge on the side of that boat. This thing is going to fly.  Please allow me to make a prediction:  Top speed should be about 40 MPH, and best cruise MPG about 4.5.  Let's see how close this is.   :biggrin:

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

La-Z-Buoy

I've been very happy with my DF140 (2010) that came on my 19HT. You should be very happy. Congrats........
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

daheechang

just in time for my neah bay trip in march. Can i ask if you have a hydraulic steering setup for your hard top? im contemplating on whether it's worth the money or not. My boat has the zero feedback system that i really do not mind with the 90, however wondering if the increased power will make a huge difference in steering experience

Fisherdv

Quote from: daheechang on February 09, 2018, 01:50:53 PM
just in time for my neah bay trip in march. Can i ask if you have a hydraulic steering setup for your hard top? im contemplating on whether it's worth the money or not. My boat has the zero feedback system that i really do not mind with the 90, however wondering if the increased power will make a huge difference in steering experience

With the motor being setup I would recommend going with hydraulic steering now especially on that size motor. The Baystar hydraulic steering is for motors up to 150 HP and the Seastar system for over 150 HP although the Seastar system should work on your motor, I'm not positive though. May want to ask your dealer or Seastar
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Mooch

Excellent choice on motor and color.  Enjoy!
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

La-Z-Buoy

Don't have hydraulic so I don't have a reference. I did adjust the trim tab on the motor so the boat tracked better. Didn't pull to one side or the other, but steering effort is not unreasonable.
Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Threeweight

Beautiful motor... one of my buddies has an older DF140 on his little 18' Striper lake boat... he loves it! 
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Chief of the Boat

Nice engine I love the white.  IMO the hydraulic steering will compliment your re-power.
Congratulations!!!

Markshoreline

That puppy is going to fly.  I love the light weight of that motor and you'll discover that fuel injection is flawless and provides amazing fuel economy.

One suggestion, instead of attaching it to the side of the boat as in pic #2 ask the shop if they can do a transom mount.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Omega3

Sweet!My no feed back helm and cable work great with my 135.One finger steering and boat tracks straight if I let go of the wheel.Take care or it and save some money for other goodies!
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

Tj805

That's going to be slick.
Those Suzuki s are so quite .
You can barley hear them running .
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

rasslingref

Listening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

Chasin Baitman

That suzi 140 is the perfect motor for the SR19'
2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

wedocq

YES YES YES! hydraulic steering. You wont regret it. That 140 is actually 8 lbs lighter than the 115, because of the bigger bore in the block. I have ridden in a 19 with the 140, and it's a race car...Haha. Fine choice in motors. I think you will be very pleasantly surprised.  The fuel mileage in those DFa motors is insane. I cant wait for the report back.  :biggrin:
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

DevMah

Quote from: Fisherdv on February 09, 2018, 02:13:01 PM

With the motor being setup I would recommend going with hydraulic steering now especially on that size motor. The Baystar hydraulic steering is for motors up to 150 HP and the Seastar system for over 150 HP although the Seastar system should work on your motor, I'm not positive though. May want to ask your dealer or Seastar

On my 150 I have the Baystar, but Arima uses the Sea Star hoses ....
I can drive with just one finger...
Hydraulic all the way IMO

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

daheechang

Bunna @ performance Marine has been more than helpful during the process. He sent me pictures of the 140 finally mounted! Should be picking her up either tomorrow or the day after.  :cha:

Fisherdv

2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Chief of the Boat

Threeweight

Nice!

Now be sure and add "make sure the engine is OFF" to your mental checklist of things to do before pulling the boat and trailer up the ramp!  You will be amazed at how quiet the Suzuki is at idle.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Sparhawk

Quote from: daheechang on February 12, 2018, 04:11:38 PM
Bunna @ performance Marine has been more than helpful during the process. He sent me pictures of the 140 finally mounted! Should be picking her up either tomorrow or the day after.  :cha:

She looks great!!!
"God put me on this Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind I will never die" - Calvin and Hobbes

Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1991 Mercury 60 2-stroke

Hydroman

Good choice I have twin DF 140s on my TJ and they have performed flawlessly. Prior boat SF 21 Skip Tower also has DF 140, perfect combination.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

PugetScott

I'd be curious what your new top speed is. I know these aren't speed boats, per se, but still fun to know. :)
1990 Sea Ranger 19 Hardtop
1995 Yamaha 115 two stroke
2001 Yamaha 9.9 four stroke

daheechang

Picking her up today. Won't be able to do a sea trial until later, but my previous top speed with my 90 was 31, so interested to see how fast she can fly now as well. Gonna have to wait until that precious break in period is over though :)