Author Topic: 2 batteries on the starboard side SR 17  (Read 92 times)

Offline SB Steve

2 batteries on the starboard side SR 17
« on: February 20, 2018, 04:50:03 PM »
Pulled my Port side battery to clean up the sponson on that side, and I am considering moving it to starboard.  There appears to be enough room.  That puts roughly 120 lbs. on the starboard side in batteries compared to a 70 pound kicker plus mount on the port.  I am also thinking about putting 3 gallon auxiliary tank also on the port side too...probably another 15-20 lbs. when full. 

Where are the batteries on your SR 17s?

Also I have to replace both the  battery trays.  I could not find any that match the existing Arima mounting holes.  I am assuming I will be filling those and drilling new ones unless someone knows a match.

Offline Holoholo808

Re: 2 batteries on the starboard side SR 17
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 07:21:27 PM »
Not exactly the same setup but I have a 17 SC with two Group 24 batteries in the starboard sponson with a 9.9 Honda 4 stroke kicker on the port side and it balances out well. My fuel is supplied by the main belly tank (in place of the fishbox) and an auxiliary 12 gallon tank where most have the 27 gallon tank. Seems to balance out pretty well for the most part.

I didn’t use battery trays; used battery boxes and had to drill new mounting holes for the straps.
1611 SC Honda BF90D

For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

Offline SB Steve

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 07:54:54 PM »
Not exactly the same setup but I have a 17 SC with two Group 24 batteries in the starboard sponson with a 9.9 Honda 4 stroke kicker on the port side and it balances out well. My fuel is supplied by the main belly tank (in place of the fishbox) and an auxiliary 12 gallon tank where most have the 27 gallon tank. Seems to balance out pretty well for the most part.

I didn’t use battery trays; used battery boxes and had to drill new mounting holes for the straps.
I am thinking my boat will balance out well too.  My kicker doesn't weigh as much as yours, but I thought it felt a little heavy at times on the port side.  I have an original 23 gallon tank, but I like to keep a 3 gallon spare onboard.

I was planning on replacing the battery trays, but battery boxes are worth some thought.

Offline troll4fish

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 08:13:07 PM »
To lighten the rear I moved my batteries to the front where the porta potty was in my 92 SC17. I have a Honda 8HP full remote power tilt kicker on the salt boss style Arima bracket and a Merc 90hp EFI 4 stroke so the back end was a little low in the water and that is why I moved my batteries. I do now have 2-3Gal tanks on each side in the rear for the kicker fuel. Boat is better balanced now and planes nicely with little effort.
92 Sea Chaser 17
2004 (2015 total rebuild) Mercury 90 EFI 4 stroke
2014 Honda 8hp full remote power tilt!