Author Topic: Trim Tabs (Oh My God Not Again!)  (Read 977 times)

Offline metalwrkr

Re: Trim Tabs (Oh My God Not Again!)
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2017, 12:28:20 PM »
My last boat before the Sea Ranger was an Aqua Sport 22.5 Sea Explorer.  Wonderful boat and extremely seaworthy, but I don't hallie fish across to Canada or out to the green dot anymore. 
It had Bennett Hydraulic tabs and in 15 years of ownership they never gave a bit of trouble.  I did not have an indicator but rather trimmed by feel and conditions.  Seemed to work fine for me and is what I am used to so probably won't get the indicator.  For this particular boat I am going as economical as possible so the Insta-trims are indicated.  I had considered the 9W X 12L but upon measurement the 12W X9L will work and still leave room for the electronics I have.  I will fab a SS bracket for the pump in the port side rear locker up off the deck where splash is less likely and it will be easy to clean below.  Thank you Belinda for the Factory size.   My Thanks for all the input on size, electric or hydraulic and suggestions on where to buy.  You Guys and Gals are an excellent source of "Real Time" experience and opinion.  Russ K.       
metalwrkr:  Sent from my rotary phone.  I have two speeds; Dead Slow and All Stop
05 17SR
06 Honda 90
2016  Honda 8 kicker
05 EZloader oil bath

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2017, 12:54:11 PM »
   I'm not so sure you'd want to forgo that indicator, Russ.  You must realize by now that you're talkin' to a crowd of "electronic freakos" right? (yours truly included)  So here's a question for you:  Do you like to know how many RPM's your turning, how fast your going, in which direction your heading, how much fuel your burning, how much fuel you have left, what the bottom looks like under you, whether or not there are any fish..........what color the eyes are on those fish?  (Okay, I went a bit overboard on that last point), but you know what I'm saying, right? 

For me personally, I see that tab indicator in the same light as my outboard trim gauge............absolutely necessary.  When your moving along and playing with those tabs, and your motor is running quietly, and burning about as much fuel as it takes to moisten an oily rag, you might want to know just where those tabs are sitting...........I know I would. 

Yat
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 01:23:39 PM by Yachter Yat »
Dear Arima:  Stretch the Hunter platform by 5. Next, stretch the Explorer by 9 and steal 2 or 3 from the cabin.  Please hurry, I'm getting old.

16 SC/Honda 60

Offline gfakkema

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2017, 02:02:54 PM »
Great discussion about trim tabs

BUT.......

Did anyone else hear TTCustomz say Brand New Boat :dance:

Lets have a look at her Thap!

Carry on

Yeah, Thap got himself a pretty sweet rig! He's shown me pics and I am jealous. He did however, wait for it..... go to the darkside (read: aluminum).

Back on topic though. I believe that many of you are missing a major point about the indicator. I will agree that adjustment of the tabs is all about feel, but like Yat, I like to know where the tabs are at. Say, for instance, that you are in conditions with a following sea. Where are your tabs? I have been guilty a few times of not bringing them up and getting the dreaded bow steer. An indicator would have helped remind me of the tab position in those circumstances. I also retract my tabs before loading on the trailer and the indicator could get me pretty close to where they need to be after i launch again, but before ever getting on plane.

The way I see it, the indicators are just another tool to have in the captain's toolbox. I personally feel like one can never have enough tools at their disposal. $300? That's realistically chump change compared to what it takes to own and care for our boats. Hell, $300 doesn't even fill my fuel tank...

My  :twocents:.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 02:12:32 PM by gfakkema »
2001 22' Sea Legend HT w/Alaskan Bulkhead
2006 Suzuki DF250 / 2004 Mercury 9.9

Offline Fisherdv

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2017, 02:29:06 PM »
I don’t think the LED switch is a must, but, I would still like to have it for a reference point as has been mentioned. The Lencos are my next project for my boat. My boat now is in no way a$$ heavy, no kicker yet, 1 battery, but it’s the porpoising, cutting through chop, low plane speeds and all the things that people comment about that makes me think I could really benefit from them. I had a 17 Bayliner with a whale tail fin on the outboard (boat came with it installed) and it really did make a difference in controling porpoising and cutting through a small chop. I tried the boat without the fin for a few days but quickly put it back on. I do NOT want a fin however for my Arima. I think the trim tabs would be much better. Really going to be hard drilling all those holes in my transom. But I do think it would be well worth it especially considering the areas I mostly fish. I considered smart tabs, but if I’m going to drill all those holes, I might as well do it right the first time and go adjustable from the start. I would hate to get smart tabs only to have to patch those holes and go adjustable. I’m sure the hole patterns would not match
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 02:48:41 PM by Fisherdv »
2018, Sea Chaser 16, Honda 60HP

Offline Ttcustomz

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2017, 10:19:56 PM »
Here you go Nineball!! Lovin it!!
1999 Arima Sea Legend twin Honda 75
2017 Custom Weld 20offshore  Suzuki 200 Suzuki FI9.9

Offline DevMah

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2017, 09:56:17 AM »
   I'm not so sure you'd want to forgo that indicator, Russ.  You must realize by now that you're talkin' to a crowd of "electronic freakos" right? (yours truly included)  So here's a question for you:  Do you like to know how many RPM's your turning, how fast your going, in which direction your heading, how much fuel your burning, how much fuel you have left, what the bottom looks like under you, whether or not there are any fish..........what color the eyes are on those fish?  (Okay, I went a bit overboard on that last point), but you know what I'm saying, right? 

For me personally, I see that tab indicator in the same light as my outboard trim gauge............absolutely necessary.  When your moving along and playing with those tabs, and your motor is running quietly, and burning about as much fuel as it takes to moisten an oily rag, you might want to know just where those tabs are sitting...........I know I would. 

Yat

I have had the same result ..

Before I had the indicators I would be playing around to find the sweet zone... this was expecially the case when I head back from the island passages it the moderate weather.
Now I know exactly where my tabs are at all times so I can  make quick adjustments.
When I first got my boat I was out in moderate weather the wire one of the activating solenoids had a bad connection giving me intermittent control...I had no way no know if they we even moving or how much.

IMO
I find weird...for those that are making comment that they don’t need them but never had them how do you know the difference....  :stirthepot:

All I can say is when you are on the chop and one stops to work or become irratic, it a lot easier to look at the gauge then looking at the stern...

My boat did not have it on original install but I would now not buy one without.

Im with Yat on this one.

Dev
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 06:24:21 PM by DevMah »
2015 21' Sea Ranger
2015 Yamaha F150
2013 Mercury 9.9 Bigfoot 4 blade
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Offline First Cabin

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2017, 05:34:09 PM »
Haven’t had indicators for 10 plus years now so at this point I believe I can live without. I can feel the trim tab position by how the boat is riding.  I don’t need an indicator to tell me the port side is down or the bow is down.

I am considering the auto tabs though...
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Offline Hydroman

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2017, 06:09:20 PM »
As I stated in previous post I do have the indicators.
I rarely look at the indicator unless I am close to end of travel in either position and when I am preparing to load boat on trailer.  I have the auto retract feature that positions the tabs full up when engine ignition is in off position.

Jim

Offline metalwrkr

« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2018, 12:54:25 PM »
Received my boat leveler trim tabs and just finished the install.  No hitches but have not water tested yet.  Next week I will mix some kokanee fishing and a water test on American Lake a mile down the road.  Boat is all squeaky clean, motors have been run out and tires aired up.  I even sharpened all my knives.  Lingcod season will not catch me flat footed this year.  All I need to do is tie a bunch of leaders and throw the poles in the boat.  Russ K
metalwrkr:  Sent from my rotary phone.  I have two speeds; Dead Slow and All Stop
05 17SR
06 Honda 90
2016  Honda 8 kicker
05 EZloader oil bath