Author Topic: Anyone running a larger diameter SS, 6-spoke steering wheel with hydro steering?  (Read 1196 times)

Online Fisherdv

Now you’ve got me thinking about a new wheel with the rubber cover and suicide knob. The one on amazon looks decent for only $50, mine is all metal and up until now I’ve just used a finger but my uncles old boat had the knob on it but I wasn’t a fan. If you do buy one, Mount it up higher than not so you don’t rack your knees on it every time you move around. Been there, done that several dozen times  :doh:
The rubberized wheel cover is nice, especially on those cold dewy mornings. Very comfortable too. I really didn’t want a knob either but as stated with hydraulic steering it may come in handy. I have to remove my wheel anyway so I can get my drill in there and cut out the hole for my LED trim tab switch so now would be a good time to try that Amazon wheel or get that knob
2018, Sea Chaser 16, Honda 60HP

Offline Rokefin

I don't know, guys.  I mean.......suicide knob on a boat steering wheel?  Isn't that something like turn signals on a bulldozer? :hoboy:   I don't think I'd want that thing wacking my wrists or knees every time I turned around. 

Yat

I'm with ya Yat - I have never felt a need for a knob, but it sounds like the users like them...
Boatless
Gone - 1989 17ft Arima Sea Chaser 2010 115 Yamaha 1995 9.9 Yamaha kicker - Bodega mostly

Offline Threeweight

When trying to maneuver a larger boat with a hard top into a slip in the wind, being able to go lock to lock on the wheel to bump the motor from forward to reverse lets you sort of "parallel park" and side slip into a space.  Really handy to have one then.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Peddler

I wish I'd added my steering knob a long time-ago!  Love it.  Made a huge difference on my riding mower as well!  :dance:
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Online Fisherdv

Ok, you guys convinced me, I’ll give the knob a try.

Offline J Chaser

You won't be disappointed.  :yeahthat:

J.
Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

Offline diodon

Just like Peddler one on the boat and one on the riding mower, best thing I did. :dance:
2007 21 Sea Explorer.   2007 Suzuki DF140.        2011 Honda 9.9

Offline GHMariner

If you want to decrease your turns lock to lock, swap out the Baystar helm for a higher displacement helm. I'm not sure which helm you have currently, but if you have a 1.1ci helm, you could reduce the turns significantly by going with a 1.6 Baystar helm. If you have the 1.6 already, you'd have to step up to a SeaStar helm. They range from 1.4ci to 2.4.

This is a good reference:
http://www.seastarsolutions.com/support-2/volumes-and-capacities-hyd-steering/

Offline Danno

I’m currently running the stock 13 1/2 inch steering wheel that came with the boat (nice wheel), but it’s small diameter with the Baystar hydraulic steering means lots of turns lock, to lock. It can be difficult in tight areas or docking. I’m just not used to the number of turns vs. cable steering. I was thinking about a larger, 15 1/2 in SS, 6-spoke wheel to offset it a bit. I’m trying to avoid adding one of those steering wheel knobs. Any thoughts? Anyone running a 15 1/2 in wheel on a smaller Arima? Would it even make that much of a difference?

Maybe I missed it but the turns, lock to lock, do not change with the steering wheel diameter.
Previously owned a 1998 19' SR

Lures are designed to catch fishermen not fish.

Online Fisherdv

I think a larger wheel would sort of change the “gear” ratio a bit. Kind of like a larger truck tire/wheel would roll further in one revolution than a smaller diameter one  :shrug9: Or like putting a small diameter steering wheel in a big rig, you would be turning and turning the wheel and not really getting anywhere. Am I making any sense  :shrug9:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 09:04:03 PM by Fisherdv »

Offline La-Z-Buoy

The force required to turn the wheel would change in proportion to the diameter. Turns lock to lock would remain the same.
Richard

1991 19' Sea Ranger HT
DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Offline GHMariner

I think a larger wheel would sort of change the “gear” ratio a bit. Kind of like a larger truck tire/wheel would roll further in one revolution than a smaller diameter one  :shrug9: Or like putting a small diameter steering wheel in a big rig, you would be turning and turning the wheel and not really getting anywhere. Am I making any sense  :shrug9:

No. That's not how it works. In fact, it's sort of the opposite. A larger wheel might slightly reduce the force required to turn the wheel a given diatance (ie, inches around the circumference), but the added distance required to move the wheel would add up to the same amount of effort (a larger diameter wheel has a greater circumference).

Anyway, your chief gripe, as I recall, was the number of turns required to go from lock to lock, which would remain exactly the same (though you would be moving your arm over a larger arc, so I think it would actually exacerbate the problem).

If you want to reduce the turns required, the solution as I posted above, is to go with a larger displacement helm (the pump upon which the steering wheel is mounted). However, you should be aware that this will result in a corresponding increase in the effort required to turn the wheel. The solution to this is to a) install a larger diameter wheel, b) upgrade from the small diameter, restrictive Baystar plastic tubing to larger, more robust SeaStar made-to-length hoses, which allow the fluid to flow more easily, or c) incorporate more upper body exercises into your workout routine.

Online Fisherdv

Haha, actually upper body exercises is/was one of my strong points 💪. I have the Baystar with the Seastar hoses. Turning effort is fine, I’m just not used to say many turns lock 2 lock. I’ve always had cable steering.

Offline Croaker Stroker

I use my Brody knob all the time....for quick slow speed maneuvering over reefs, parallel parking, and centering the boat on the trailer... Mine is built into the wheel.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 08:45:45 PM by Croaker Stroker »
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"If a fish will, he will… if he won't, he won't… and that's about it… except… he may take this when he won't take that."

Online Fisherdv

I use my Brody knob all the time....for quick slow speed maneuvering over reefs, parallel parking, and centering the boat on the trailer... Mine is built into the wheel.

I can get the exact same wheel as I have now but with that knob built in for $52. That nice SS knob alone is $99. I’ll have to add that wheel and knob to my list. The list is already getting pretty long  :hoboy: