Author Topic: Anyone running a larger diameter SS, 6-spoke steering wheel with hydro steering?  (Read 719 times)

Online Fisherdv

I’m currently running the stock 13 1/2 inch steering wheel that came with the boat (nice wheel), but it’s small diameter with the Baystar hydraulic steering means lots of turns lock, to lock. It can be difficult in tight areas or docking. I’m just not used to the number of turns vs. cable steering. I was thinking about a larger, 15 1/2 in SS, 6-spoke wheel to offset it a bit. I’m trying to avoid adding one of those steering wheel knobs. Any thoughts? Anyone running a 15 1/2 in wheel on a smaller Arima? Would it even make that much of a difference?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:12:04 PM by Fisherdv »
2018, Sea Chaser 16, Honda 60HP

Offline Threeweight

Larger wheel gets in the way of operating the electronics in a cramped Arima dash.

Hydraulic steering inherently has more turns to lock than cable.  I used a 13.5" wheel on my boat to... works great.  Invest in a spinner to go on the wheel if you want faster response.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/product.do?part=39893&engine=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI29yVzbKX2QIVBL3sCh1MDQySEAQYASABEgLTlvD_BwE
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Chief of the Boat

The knob puts the icing on hydraulic steering.

1994 Sea Explorer 1511 loves whitecaps 2010 Yamaha F-70 2012 Yamaha F-8 with a  Fixed SaltBoss Bracket Lowrance HDS-5 & 7 Gen 2 Standard Horizon Fixed VHF 2150 with AIS

Offline Yachter Yat

Fisher;  I don't think you want a bigger wheel.  In fact, you actually might want a smaller wheel.  No effort to hyro steering, so I'd go with a Sea Dog 11".  As far as the "suicide" knob is concerned; if you like it, okay.  Personally, I just give mine the middle finger against the spoke.  (Did I just say that?)  I'd bet you a dime to a dollar I could turn my wheel faster with my finger than you could with that knob....especially with a smaller diameter wheel. 

Yat
Dear Arima:  Stretch the Hunter platform by 5. Next, stretch the Explorer by 9 and steal 2 or 3 from the cabin.  Please hurry, I'm getting old.

16 SC/Honda 60

Online Fisherdv

:jester: Yat, you must have a strong middle finger.......you must use it alot :whistle:

Online Fisherdv

The knob puts the icing on hydraulic steering.

Cheif, what size/brand is that 6-spoke? Looks bigger than a 13 1/2. Can I still put that knob on my stock wheel with the rubber grip on the outside?

I didn't like the knob at first until I got in a tight docking situation. 
1994 Sea Explorer 1511 loves whitecaps 2010 Yamaha F-70 2012 Yamaha F-8 with a  Fixed SaltBoss Bracket Lowrance HDS-5 & 7 Gen 2 Standard Horizon Fixed VHF 2150 with AIS

Fisherdv,
OEM 1994 I am sure like Yat's.

Fisherdv,
I think your rubberized wheel would work great to hold the knob.  Look at 3WT's post on the video.

Online Fisherdv

What’s the “standard” (if there is one) clock position to mount that knob with wheel straight? I don’t see that video you mentioned

Offline J Chaser

I have the knob as well.

John
Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

I mounted mine at 1100.

Offline Threeweight

Edson knobs come w/ two different mounting loops, one for bare stainless wheels and one for rubberized.

Stay away from the cheap Sea Dog spinners... they won't fit a rubberized wheel. 

In a pinch, a $20 car steering wheel spinner works just fine, but are a little big and clunky.  I used to use one I got for $15 from Autozone.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 04:02:06 PM by Threeweight »
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Online Fisherdv

Thanks for the info, Yat, I think I’ll try the finger next time out and see if that works well. If not I just may have to try that knob. There is a particular launch I sometimes go to that on a strong incoming tide can be very difficult to navigate the boat to the dock while trying to avoid some dock rash. The tide is pushing the boat from behind making for a tricky approach. Appreciate the replies

Online Fisherdv

Edson knobs come w/ two different mounting loops, one of bare stainless wheels and one for rubberized.

Stay away from the cheap Sea Dog spinners... they won't fit a rubberized wheel. 

In a pinch, a $20 car steering wheel spinner works just fine, but are a little big and clunky.  I used to use one I got for $15 from Autozone.

3WT, that skull knob would go good with a skull and cross bones pirate flag

I run three of these with fender covers from http://www.mecoastmarine.com/index.shtml.  The will protect your boat.

Offline La-Z-Buoy

Bought this from amazon. Much cheaper than just the knob listed above. Knob is incorporated in the wheel, not a separate add on. Works for me. No, I don't have hydraulic steering.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXZ8FE8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Richard

1991 19' Sea Ranger HT
DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

Online Fisherdv

Bought this from amazon. Much cheaper than just the knob listed above. Knob is incorporated in the wheel, not a separate add on. Works for me. No, I don't have hydraulic steering.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXZ8FE8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That looks like exactly the same wheel I have stock, only that has the knob.

Online AJFishin

I saw you go with a classic   :biggrin:

'96 Sea Chaser 1511 - Yamaha 70HP - 2 smoke

! Go Kings Go !

Online Fisherdv

I saw you go with a classic   :biggrin:

:jester: And maybe some spoked rims on the trailer  :jester:

Offline Yachter Yat

Yeah Chief, I've got the 14" factory 6 spoke wheel like yours.  I like it better than the 5 spokers.  Gives me one more "fingering" opportunity. :facepalm:   Truth is, if I ever swap to hydro steering, I'd go with the Sea Dog 11".  Not only could I turn it faster, but it would also give me just a little additional leg room. 

Yes Fisher, I have strong middle fingers.  Must be from being "overworked" in my youth.  :jester:

Yat
Dear Arima:  Stretch the Hunter platform by 5. Next, stretch the Explorer by 9 and steal 2 or 3 from the cabin.  Please hurry, I'm getting old.

16 SC/Honda 60

Online AJFishin

'96 Sea Chaser 1511 - Yamaha 70HP - 2 smoke

! Go Kings Go !

Online Fisherdv

Nice!  :clap: I tow it with my 64’

Offline mustang65fbk

Now you’ve got me thinking about a new wheel with the rubber cover and suicide knob. The one on amazon looks decent for only $50, mine is all metal and up until now I’ve just used a finger but my uncles old boat had the knob on it but I wasn’t a fan. If you do buy one, Mount it up higher than not so you don’t rack your knees on it every time you move around. Been there, done that several dozen times  :doh:
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2004 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

Offline Yachter Yat

I don't know, guys.  I mean.......suicide knob on a boat steering wheel?  Isn't that something like turn signals on a bulldozer? :hoboy:   I don't think I'd want that thing wacking my wrists or knees every time I turned around. 

Yat

16 SC/Honda 60