News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

The stock market

Started by Yachter Yat, February 08, 2018, 12:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yachter Yat

Anybody following the market?   Yes......we're all hemorrhaging money.  Nevertheless, keep an eye out for the low. Buying time has a way of sneaking-up on you.  I'm going for the dividend paying REITS. 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Mooch

Quote from: Yachter Yat on February 08, 2018, 12:42:14 PM
Anybody following the market?

I'd rather be fishing in da Nile.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Yachter Yat

Aaah..........okay!

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Wiley

Dunno about back east but out west in ca. We're building like there's no tomorrow. Trouble is commercial vacancy rate also appears to be climbing. Scares the heck out of me. Lost everything in last " Great Recession "  hope those reits pay off for ya.
86 c Dory 22' new 90 hp etec (sold)
96 sea explorer 15'-11" new 90 etec named (wutz wuzn cuzn)
10' Don Hill Pram
Respectfully, Build, Buy, Be American
Please bring back logging, we can't afford to keep burning up our country!!!

croaker stroker

The market is going back up in after hours. Time to buy more. The day traders are probably making a fortune.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Yachter Yat

I happen to have a couple of REITS that focus mostly on Health care real estate.  Some acute care stuff along with long term elderly facilities.  They do consistently well in terms of dividends.  (I guess people are going to continue to get old)  Now, I don't know about out West, but here in the East, there's a waiting list for most elderly people trying to get in to these facilities.  Remember, with these classes of securities, you don't want to just look at the market value of the stock; they've taken a hit recently, just like everybody else.  Instead, pay attention on their enterprise value.  Keep in mind, some of these REITS can have enterprise values twice (or more) that of their market values.  That's real brick and mortar stuff they happen to own that never goes down.  Granted, some venture started by two college flunkies on a laptop in a basement might prove to be profitable.....but it's risky.  The way I see it is; the older you get, the more important it becomes to go for the solid stuff. 

Yat

BTW, if your older, and in mutual funds............you shouldn't be.   Take a hard look at dividend yielding ETFs.

16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Rokefin

Don't forget the real long shot - lottery :facepalm:

Yachter Yat

That's pretty funny.  You'd have a better chance wishing upon a star.  :jester: 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Markshoreline

Reid's are a good component to a diversified portfolio.  Interesting ideas, Yat.  Also, buy on the dips.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on February 09, 2018, 12:22:42 AM

The market is going back up in after hours. Time to buy more. The day traders are probably making a fortune.

Too late.    :jester:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Yachter Yat

"Diversified" is right, Mark.  That's the key word we should always keep in mind when investing.  "Strategy" is another.  Part of that strategy should be to know when to shift your investments as you age.  I've always maintained that, investing in a "start-up" company with a "bright future" (that pays "0" dividends) at the age of 64 might not be a good idea.  What good would that do you when your 6 feet under and your heirs discover that boatload of stock you purchased for 2 bucks a share is now worth 200?  High dividend yield in old age can make life a lot nicer.  In addition to that, it can also serve to offset the amount of capital you have to cash-in, in order to live, as well.

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

Croaker Stroker's stock tip of the day....

"Don't buy stocks with more money than you can afford to loose."

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Yachter Yat

Croaker, I'm not sure I know what you mean.  If your saying you have nothing to invest; that's one thing.  If, on the other hand, you have securities that are....say, "growth stocks", then that's another.  If it's the latter, and you are quite elderly, I'd say, get out, and get into some bond ETF funds or REITs and start realizing a little income. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

I'm just saying that any investment in the stock market is a gamble. Don't bet the farm.

Pay off your home....put 80% of your cash in the bank. Gamble the rest.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

pgbrown

My 2 footitis is currently on hold.
2014 17' Sea Ranger
90 hp Honda
9.9 hp Honda

Yachter Yat

Croaker........WHAAAT?  80% of your cash in the bank?  Are you kidding? Don't ever do that!  If your the kind that messes your pants about investing, then look at stocks like AT&T.  It pays $2.00 a share per year, and right now it's little down (like everything else) so you can pick-it-up for about $35.  In case your bad at math..........2 divided by 35 is about 5.7% per year.  Compare that with your bank rates.  AT&T?  You almost can't get any more "blue chip". 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Threeweight

The flip side is that for average Joes, the market tanking at the same time you need your 401k for retirement, or a catastrophic illness, is financially devastating.  A lot of people got hosed the last time the Wall Street/big bank bubble burst, and will now be working into their 70's instead of retiring with a nest egg. 

We have had 9 years of economic growth (albeit with stagnant wages), and now we have a ballooning federal deficit and raging dumpster fire of a federal government, casting doubt on the strength of US bonds and the dollar, and a lot of global instability to boot.  We are overdue for a major correction, and I don't think we've had it yet.

I'd play it safe on the stock market for a while, and look for investments more likely to survive a downturn. 
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Yachter Yat

With the threat of interest rates rising, you'll see the bond market begin to spike.  That said, not much survives in a true crash.  When investing for yield (as you should be doing in old age), be sure to research that dividend history.  In that respect, the payouts of stocks like AT&T have weathered quite well

Yat.
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

Quote from: Yachter Yat on February 09, 2018, 12:20:58 PM
   Croaker........WHAAAT?  80% of your cash in the bank?  Are you kidding? Don't ever do that!  If your the kind that messes your pants about investing, then look at stocks like AT&T.  It pays $2.00 a share per year, and right now it's little down (like everything else) so you can pick-it-up for about $35.  In case your bad at math..........2 divided by 35 is about 5.7% per year.  Compare that with your bank rates.  AT&T?  You almost can't get any more "blue chip". 

Yat

I mess my pants when I loose money.  5.7% is a good yield, but not good enough to make up for the stock price drop of 20% ??

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Tj805

An old cowboy showed me how to double my money.

Right before your about to buy something cool and great that you absolutely need.

Fold the money over and stick it back in your pocket.
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

Yachter Yat

Let's see if I can help. Okay......... the "old cowboy" leaves the money in his back pocket?  Here's what happens:  Years later he's an "older cowboy" with much less money in his back pocket.  LESS MONEY, you ask?   Yes!.......It's called "DEflation" by way of "INflation".

Meanwhile, a man known to many as "Yat", removes money from his pocket and invests in........you guessed it......dividend securities.  Although he doesn't ride a horse........he does drive a "Beetle".  Years later he goes from that "Beetle".........to a "Mercedes". 

I just love stories with happy endings.

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

headduck

I like happy endings too... :cha:

Thanks for the insight Yat.
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Fisherdv

Yat, I think I need to set up a "free" consultation with you to go over my future retirement strategies and goals. :shrug9: :jester: You sold me with that "beetle to Benz" line  :jester: Oh, not to mention all that land :jester:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Fisherdv

Quote from: Tj805 on February 09, 2018, 06:44:59 PM
An old cowboy showed me how to double my money.

Right before your about to buy something cool and great that you absolutely need.

Fold the money over and stick it back in your pocket.
I guess that cowboy never owned a boat :shrug9:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Markshoreline

Back in the day many companies provided a retirement plan which coupled with Social Security could lead to a comfortable retirement.  However, many employers have dropped costly retirement plans in favor of a match for employee contributions into a plan such as Fidelity offers.  It's a pretty easy way for working guys to develop a sizable retirement, especially if you start early so your money has years to grow.  You can also contribute to your own retirement plan (such as a Roth IRA) in addition to the one sponsored by your employer.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9