News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Fix or replace

Started by Habberdasher, January 27, 2018, 06:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habberdasher

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on February 01, 2018, 04:32:39 PM

I am curious what caused that. Lean burn caused by bad injector?  Previous owner ran the oil dry ? Overheat ?

The printout should tell the story ??
The printout that was just before the last failure didn't show any problems I think you are right that he feels it was a bad injector don't think the oil was ever dry or ever overheated as that would have shown in the printout?
1988 Sea Hunter 60 Suzuki 5hp Mariner
1958 9 ft moulded birch 1958 3 hp Johnston and a 30 pound electric

Omega3

Etec will go into fail safe mode if oil is low.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

Habberdasher

Well the Etec is hooped bearings and possible warped block anyway the mechanic says it is not rebuidable.
Now I have to decide between the two Yamaha 50's one with 200 hours and one with no hours but been for a swim but will have a written warranty. Or either a new Honda or Yamaha 60 the new ones are about the same price with controls etc at 8700 Canadian and the fifty's about 62-6500 ? I have lately driven Acuras and Hondas with no problems so I am leaving toward the Honda like Yats

Fisherdv

That seems to be a good price for the Honda 60. I have that motor also. Weight is about 250#
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

croaker stroker

Geez. That had to be a catastrophic failure. Hot enough to warp the block ? You would think that would show up on the print out ? 
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Omega3

Rebuilt powerhead from Crowley is $2200.Basically a new block bored .020 over.Might want to take a look at them
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

Threeweight

If you can afford it, I'd go with either the new Honda or Yamaha.  Good motors with full warranty and known reliability.

Which brand would come down to me on which dealer has a better service department and rep.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

The old motor is worth $$$. Lots of usable parts there. The EMM, The injectors, the lower unit, the cowling, flywheel cover, intermediate cover, starter, etc.etc.etc.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Habberdasher

I am just about there in my quest to make the right repowering decision the cheapest motor is the dunked
50 Yamaha but I am ticked with the salesman who I asked for a firm quote three days ago and I am still waiting. Then I come to the 50/60 Hondas the 50 is 1200$ cheaper than the 60 quite a bit lighter and comes complete including prop . My only concern is my etec was a 60 and I worry I might miss the 10 HP ? I don't load up the boat too much and my get home motor is very light ?

Fisherdv

My  :twocents:, will you miss the power you had? Probably. It's always more noticeable going from more to less HP than less to more. I think the Honda BFP60 power thrust, with the larger gear case and lower gear ratio would be perfect on your boat. I have that same motor on my 16 SC and I would not want any less. On my 16 with a 4-blade prop and light load I can get on plane in 6 seconds and WOT at 30 mph. The Honda BFP60 also runs larger size props than the BF60 so you get more torque down low where it's most needed. A 13.25x13 4-blade prop should be perfect. Weight difference between it and the 50HP is about 40 or so pounds. The BFP60 also has more charging output than the BF60

Yachter Yat

Habberdasher: 

If you will, let me offer some advice on the Honda choices as well.  The 50 and 60 are quite different motors.  In reality, the 10 horses is the least of the differences.  Before the 60, I ran the Honda 45 for over 20 seasons.  Despite the fact that it struggled a bit when we had 4 people on board, it actually did quite well with just my wife and myself. Being a "square" engine, (with both the bore and stroke at 2.8 inches) resulted in a smooth running motor; something you don't often see in the newer models.  As we all know, the new 50 is fuel injected.  Being so, it should provide a "slight" improvement in performance over the 45 in some respects.  That said, it's still the same block as the 45, with the same 49.3 cubic inches.  The 60 (with a displacement of 61 cubic inches) is a different animal.  Although we have no factory specs by which to compare, there's no doubt the 60 has a considerable amount of additional torque...and torque is what you need in a boat like the Arima.  As I've said many times:  HP is something you brag about...torque is something you feel.  If you ever had the occasion to run the two blocks, as I have, you'd see what I mean. For me, going from one to the other was quite surprising.......kinda like night and day, as they say.  Despite the fact that the 60 is just a tiny bit noisier than the 45, it was a small price to pay for the enormous increase in overall performance. 

Yes, I'm running the 16 SC, but if I had a Sea Hunter, I would still opt for the 60 Honda.  I think you'll find that additional torque will make things a lot more pleasurable.  You'll have a much greater RPM operating range and won't find yourself playing "throttle jockey" with every other approaching roller.  Not only that, but as with my experience so far, you'd be surprised to discover a slight improvement in fuel economy over the smaller block. 

Yat 
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

If you plan on keeping that boat for a while the extra $1200 for the 60 would probably be worth it. You could easily spend over $1200 on other boat related accessories. Either of the Honda 60's would be a great choice.