Author Topic: Outboard Warranties  (Read 191 times)

Offline Chief of the Boat

Outboard Warranties
« on: February 07, 2018, 04:53:00 PM »
I am curious to hear the experience folks have had on warranty repair.  Especially towards the end of the warranty.   :stirthepot:
1994 Sea Explorer 1511 loves whitecaps 2010 Yamaha F-70 2012 Yamaha F-8 with a  Fixed SaltBoss Bracket Lowrance HDS-5 & 7 Gen 2 Standard Horizon Fixed VHF 2150 with AIS

Online Fisherdv

Re: Outboard Warranties
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 05:24:28 PM »
Probably the same as getting many teeth pulled  :doh: :shrug9:
2018, Sea Chaser 16, Honda 60HP

Offline Omega3

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 05:41:43 PM »
John at Inland Boat's and Motors fixed my fuel pump 3 months out of warranty.1 day turn around best service ever.Lighthouse Marine in Gig Harbor tried to charge me for the same repair while still under warranty which they didn't fix.I don't recommend them.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

Offline Threeweight

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 10:03:39 PM »
All comes down to the dealer, IMO.  I have no personal experience beyond recall stuff, but have had friends with the Yamaha 225 exhaust corrosion issue, and a Honda 130 cracked block issue.  Honda stood behind their motor and installed a new power head, the best Yamaha would do was sell the guy replacement parts at dealer cost (I recall around $2k).  Was on his own for labor... ended up doing the install himself rather than pay the shop rate (would have been another $2k to install).

Honda dealer is a Portland institution and one of the oldest Honda outboard dealers in the US, Yamaha folks were a chain not known for their great after the sale service.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Wild Card, Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220, Honda 225 and 9.9

“Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed.”
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Yachter Yat

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 08:13:49 AM »
   My dealer sells both Honda and Yamaha.  Crazy...you might think.  One day while standing and talking to the owner, I asked him:  No BS....if it were YOUR choice, which would you buy for your own boat?  He pointed to the Honda.  I'd consider that to be the "quintessential testimony".   Not trying to start a war..........just sayin'. :shrug9:

Yat
Dear Arima:  Stretch the Hunter platform by 5. Next, stretch the Explorer by 9 and steal 2 or 3 from the cabin.  Please hurry, I'm getting old.

16 SC/Honda 60

Offline Markshoreline

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 08:29:34 AM »
A couple of my neighbors have big Yamahas that were or potentially were affected by the corrosion issue.  One's motor went out while up in Uculet so he had to buy a new Mercury while on his trip.  Another had to pay out of pocket for the repair.  And a third preemptively hauled both of his big motors into the shop and paid for the repair before there could be a problem.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9