News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Wiper/bilge/light Switch Panel Help

Started by AJFishin, February 04, 2018, 06:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

AJFISHIN, hows the re wire coming along?
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

AJFishin

It's coming along.
I have this horn button (momentary push button switch) and I can't figure out if I need to connect 2 hot wires, or 1 hot and 1 ground, or what  :shrug9:

'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Fisherdv

AJFISHIN, I think that's going to be in the middle of one hot + wire, basically like a switch. Contacts when, pushed, cuts power when released

Fisherdv

I believe that button is going to go in between the horn and the fuse box positive lead with one, single positive wire. One end of the wire to the horn, the other end to the fuse box, that button in the middle

Fisherdv

I couldn't find my stylus pen so it's kinda sloppy but like this

AJFishin

Quote from: Fisherdv on February 08, 2018, 09:55:58 PM
I couldn't find my stylist pen so it's kinda sloppy but like this

:jester: when I first that I thought, when did I write on the box, my brain is fried.  :facepalm:

Second question, what is a good gauge wire for the wires coming from the battery to the fuse block?
I read 10 awg is good, so I bought that. But now I just read 8awg is the way to go :doh:

Fisherdv

Is it a long run from the battery in the back, to the fuse box in the cuddy? Then I would say the 8 gauge. The longer the wire run, the heavier the gauge

AJFishin

Heading to the shop today to pick up some 8 gauge wire and hopefully I can finish it up by Sunday.
But first it's Vegas for some throws of the dice :biggrin:

Thanks for the help Fisherdv :beerchug:

Fisherdv

Fisherdv

One more thing to consider which I think someone else mentioned earlier is to match the fuse size to the components. Most will be between about 3-5, maybe a few 20's, you can check the owners manual of your devices to get the recommended fuse sizes. Also, you may want to run the VHF radio and your bilge pump directly to the battery with a fuse about 6 inches from the battery post. And keep an assortment of dry, spare fuses in your tool kit. Have fun in Vegas! Hopefully you can win a few BOAT bucks!

AJFishin

Quote from: Fisherdv on February 09, 2018, 10:22:49 AM
One more thing to consider which I think someone else mentioned earlier is to match the fuse size to the components. Most will be between about 3-5, maybe a few 20's, you can check the owners manual of your devices to get the recommended fuse sizes. Also, you may want to run the VHF radio and your bilge pump directly to the battery with a fuse about 6 inches from the battery post. And keep an assortment of dry, spare fuses in your tool kit. Have fun in Vegas! Hopefully you can win a few BOAT bucks!

My VHF has a inline fuse and is connected to the fuse bloack. My pumps are are connected to a fuse in my switch panel, not sure if that would be adequate? But that is how it was originally wired.

This is what I have as for fuses and I think this is all good:
- Bilge pump 2.5 AMP
- Bait Pump 2.5 AMP
- Fishfinder/GPS 3 AMP
- VHF Radio (inline fuse) 7 AMP
- Wiper 2 AMP (future part)
- Horn 4 AMP
- LED Volt Meter/USB/12 Volt Lighter Socket Panel - 20 AMP

Thanks again Fisherdv.

I just need my YO's to come up often and I will be happy  :biggrin:

Fisherdv

The reasoning why the VHF and bilge pump are recommended to be isolated, and wires straight to the battery is that in the event of a problem or short circuit with your fuse panel, your two most important safety items would still work. You still use the inline fuses, but try to keep the fuse as close to the battery as possible

AJFishin

Quote from: Fisherdv on February 09, 2018, 02:52:55 PM
The reasoning why the VHF and bilge pump are recommended to be isolated, and wires straight to the battery is that in the event of a problem or short circuit with your fuse panel, your two most important safety items would still work. You still use the inline fuses, but try to keep the fuse as close to the battery as possible

Makes sense.
I just need to do a little reconfiguring of the bilge and add a fuse near the battery.

As for my VHF radio, it's connected to my fuse block, and not to a inline fuse anymore, as of last night. But I always carry with me a handheld VHF radio, which has a pretty good range, just in case of an emergency.

Thanks again.

Fisherdv

My VHF is to the fuse box too. I haven't had a chance to re-wire it yet

DevMah

Quote from: AJFishin on February 09, 2018, 04:26:33 PM
Quote from: Fisherdv on February 09, 2018, 02:52:55 PM

Makes sense.
I just need to do a little reconfiguring of the bilge and add a fuse near the battery.

As for my VHF radio, it's connected to my fuse block, and not to a inline fuse anymore, as of last night. But I always carry with me a handheld VHF radio, which has a pretty good range, just in case of an emergency.

Thanks again.

My lines are fused directly from the battery using the Blue Seas MRBF fuse holders then from there the acc wire feeds a rear fuse panel (I have a safety hub 150). My second battery switch is after the hub so I have two lines B+ that feed 2 fuse panels one is switch one is not at the helm.

I do not recommend just guessing wire sizes please use the Blue Seas wire wizard.

As for the horn connections they are correct but looking at that switch make sure you install it in a dry location as is dose not look look like the water resistant type.

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

AJFishin

Finally finished, well pretty much, just have a few small things to do.
Thank you fisherdv, Dev, CS, Hydro, and Jamaica, for help, totally appreciate it. :beerchug:

Fisherdv

Hydroman

17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

DevMah

AJFishin

Thank you for the compliments. :smile1:

@Dev,  yes definitely they need labels, which I will be doing tomorrow. I have a handheld label printer that I'm going to use to print my labels, but if I don't like the way mine look, I really like the look of the panel labels you posted the link of, those are nice.

It's funny how this hole thing happened. Originally I was only going to take off the black vinyl stickers off the dash boards. But that rolled into upgrading my switch panel, hence my title. But then that rolled into a complete rewire job.
At first I was hesitant on doing a rewire, thinking it might be to much to do. But after I cut the first wire, unplugged my switches, and separated the wires, it's wasn't that bad, pretty straight forward.
I would say the 2 most difficult things was working in the cuddy and laying on the floor in the back, messing around with the bird nest of wires near the battery, but all worth it.

I know one thing, my back and neck are glad this is done.

Fisherdv

I hear ya AJ, I hate working upside down

DevMah

LOL...
I have used the offshore labels they work well.. just make sure the surface is clean. The blue seas ones actually fit the recesses in the fuse box cover.

Don't worry your back and knees get use to it.... Once you start wiring and see the money you saved you can use beer therapy to help with the discomfort ...

:beerchug: :beerchug:

Dev

AJFishin

Quote from: Fisherdv on February 11, 2018, 07:50:14 PM
I hear ya AJ, I hate working upside down
At times you need to be like a contortionist to do a rewire on these smaller boats :jester:

Quote from: DevMah on February 11, 2018, 08:16:50 PM
LOL...
I have used the offshore labels they work well.. just make sure the surface is clean. The blue seas ones actually fit the recesses in the fuse box cover.

Don't worry your back and knees get use to it.... Once you start wiring and see the money you saved you can use beer therapy to help with the discomfort ...
  :beerchug: :beerchug:
Dev
Definitely beer therapy helped :jester: And some of that money saved went straight to some good beer :biggrin:

Fisherdv

I'm partaking in a little "therapy" as we speak  :beerchug:

Rokefin

AJ - great job! That really looks clean.
I have been following this thread and other wiring threads as I need a complete rewire, I've done some partial work but I need a complete redo to get rid of the inherited rats nest.
Yes, many thanks to the wiring pro's that are sharing their knowledge - it really helps us amateurs that do our own work - we can be dangerous :biggrin:

Fill up your spare fuse holders....hopefully you wont need them though, after 4 years I finally blew a couple down rigger fuses this past year.