News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

2 stroke ban?

Started by FISHSTALKER, January 05, 2012, 09:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FISHSTALKER

Currently there are bans taking place in the Nation. Most of these bans are directed at Personal Water Craft and Motor Cycles.
Lake Powell, Az., Lake Mead, Nv., etc. have now banned 2 stroke PWC's (ski do's). 4 strokes would be allowed.

The US Government is forcing Manufacturers to produce more efficient motors that will meet the pollution standards.

Motorcycling areas and motors are also in challenge.

Essentially to date most all Marine 2 stroke outboard motors will continue to be legal to use until either replaced by the owner with a newer model or the implementation of new Government laws.
91' Sea Ranger 19' cabin 91 Merc 115, 05' Honda 15, Furuno FCV 585, Cannon DT20's, Bert's track sys.

Threeweight

The pressure on older two stroke technology is a mixture of state and federal.  The states (particularly CA and NV, over pollution in Lake Tahoe) moved first, and the EPA had to follow (otherwise the marine manufacturers are left with a hodge-podge of state by state rules).  

Came across a good read a while back on research into the effect of hydrocarbons on aquatic life in Puget Sound.  Worth a read.

Puget Sound Petroleum Poses Harm To Fish
Dec. 5, 2011 | KUOW
http://earthfix.opb.org/water/article/oil-in-the-northwest-fish-health-at-risk/
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

CanvasGuy

Seems that Smokin and drinkn too much  has its Drawbacks :yeahthat:
Kieth's Life as before is Limited? :biggrin:??

via threeweight's gallery..
Gary Smart
boatless  now
http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

croaker stroker

In California, they are also banning fishing in many areas.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

fishing eagle

I understand that CA has banned the sale of 2 strokes as well. Or at least that is an article I recently read.
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

croaker stroker

Some lakes have banned older 2-strokes in California. Otherwise, they are not banned.

http://www.dbw.ca.gov/Environmental/TwoStroke/TSxp.aspx

But, if they continue to close our coastline to fishing (MLPA) there wont be a need anyway.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisharima

Not too long ago Johnson claimed their e-tec OB's were clean burning enough to be allowed on Lake Tahoe. Don't know if this is still true. Also, Lake Tahoe now inspects boats for Quagga and Zebra mussels for a significant toll,!!!This is per one of my fishing neighbors. I don't plan to burn the gas and then pay a tariff as well! Also, of interest for anyone coming to Ca to fish....your drain plug must be removed when entering CA with your boat!I was lucky to have done so before returning home otherwise I could have been fined! Just FYI to you ABOG's,Geo
Geo

Threeweight

We also must have the drain plug removed when trailering a boat in Oregon.  Can get fined for excessive seaweed of vegetation dragging along with the trailer to.

We have had so many invasive species coming out of CA that our state is doing random boat checks on I-5 in the summer months down by the border.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

strokersquid

Boy do we have invasive species here. Hycinith is all but clogging several areas of the delta. These aren't little waterways, but wide areas of the major rivers. You DON"T want that in your fresh water.

strokersquid

Can't find anything new about outlawing old 2 strokes more than is already known here in Ca, which I believe is the state with the most off limit lakes. Are there new limits under consideration ? The direct injection 2 strokes were not taken seriously by car manufacturers in the 90s due to the high amount of NO2 (or was it NO ) one gets with air scavenging. Car 4 stks deal with this using complicated 3 way cats, which nobody is talking about on boats, so I doubt DI 2 strokes are going away soon.