News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Truck - Gas or Diesel?

Started by Chasin Baitman, February 04, 2018, 10:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rokefin

Quote from: Fisherdv on February 05, 2018, 11:50:15 AM
Wow Yat, 5 beetles, Woodstock? I guess you could tow this with that beetle  :jester:

Back to this guy...."does this boat make me look fat"

Love this pic

Rokefin

Threeweight

If you are looking for newer diesels, you want one new enough to use the DEF fluid for emissions control, not the old DPF catalyst and filter systems with regenerative cycles.  Fuel economy was awful on the 2008-2013 or 14 rigs, and the emissions system was not know for lasting.

Have a buddy with a 2015 Dodge with the 6.7 Cummins... the engine is a towing monster.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Chasin Baitman

2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

Fisherdv

Good luck with your truck purchase. 3WT has all the bases covered. By the way, those are some nice future boats your considering. I really like those Ospreys. I see them on the water quite a bit. High sided, high, raised bow, great cabin. My buddies uncle has one on a triple axle trailer
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Yachter Yat

Baitman;  Didn't I tell you........I own land.........."and" a chainsaw?   :jester:

Yat
You'll know your married, when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Quote from: Yachter Yat on February 06, 2018, 07:32:55 PM
   Baitman;  Didn't I tell you........I own land.........."and" a chainsaw?   :jester:

Yat
BUT, after seeing that video you would NEVER use that chainsaw :jester:

croaker stroker

AAAAAAAAGH !!!  AAAAAAAAAAAGH !!  😫
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

Yat- you're supposed to say you didn't inhale!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Ssericz

I'm looking at adding a diesel Colorado zr2 to the fleet now I have a couple diesel trucks and the new stuff is much quieter than old diesels. Power is much nicer than gas imo

croaker stroker

The zr2 doesn't have much towing capacity.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Ssericz

Don't need it for towing mark... I have a old 2500 and a new 3500 for those purposes. Andi likes the zr2 duramax I like the fuel economy of it

tsquared

I'm in the market for a new truck as well. It's time I stopped trying to squeeze my money out of my 97 f150 :twocents:. I'm looking at gas f150 s with the 6 cylinder ecoboost, maybe 2014 or 2015. The heaviest thing I pull is our 19 ft SC so it should be good for that. Most of our day to day driving is done with our Honda and the truck just sits in the driveway. Baitman: are you going to try Sidney waters again this spring?
Tom
Fish worship---is it wrong?

Chasin Baitman

T2, you bet I'll be in sidney! Look forward to it every year.

Footnote: I ended up getting the 2015 ram 6.7 cummins diesel. I'm a real friend of the earth! :P bout to do the inaugural tow.

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

Threeweight

Congrats!

As far as the environment goes, the diesel is actually vastly more fuel efficient than the equivalent 12 mpg gas rig, and if the truck is new enough to use the DEF fluid for emissions it runs fairly clean while still getting good economy and great power.

I run B20 in my old girl (20% bio-diesel).  Cheaper than dino diesel in Oregon, runs cleaner and it has greater lubricity so it's better for the injectors.

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Hydroman

Quote from: Threeweight on February 10, 2018, 08:51:07 AM
Congrats!

As far as the environment goes, the diesel is actually vastly more fuel efficient than the equivalent 12 mpg gas rig, and if the truck is new enough to use the DEF fluid for emissions it runs fairly clean while still getting good economy and great power.

I run B20 in my old girl (20% bio-diesel).  Cheaper than dino diesel in Oregon, runs cleaner and it has greater lubricity so it's better for the injectors.

Do you run BIO in your Duramax, my '02 says it a No No.
Does the BIO affect you MPG?

I have 240k on my rig with no issues other than injectors, replaces 2 at 112k and replaced all 8 at 216k,there are supposed to be a new improves design.

Each time I had a failure I filled the crankcase with diesel,  never has smoking exhaust.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

Diablo

Quote from: Chasin Baitman on February 10, 2018, 08:25:40 AM

Footnote: I ended up getting the 2015 ram 6.7 cummins diesel. I'm a real friend of the earth! :P bout to do the inaugural tow.

Congrats, you will be happy with all that power. Cummins makes great diesels.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Threeweight

The fear of bio in the older trucks is that they didn't want to warranty the trucks for people using home-brew, or fuel from questionable sources that may be full of impurities.  Biodiesel is also a mild solvent, and it will "free up" the goo left behind by years of running dino diesel and send it running through the fuel system.  If one were going to run it in an older truck with a lot of miles, I'd want to run a tank or two of it then change the fuel filter.

Down here you can find B20 here at Shell stations, Safeways, Astro's, etc... and I suspect many, many trucks are running it without even knowing it.  I believe all the newer trucks (since 2010 or so) are approved for B20.

My 06' Duramax and 06' Jetta TDI both recommended nothing greater than B5 back in the day, but both have run tens of thousands of miles of B20 with no issues.
I've just used fuel from reputable stations, and stayed on top of my fuel filter changes.  I haven't noticed any significant change in fuel economy... Jetta still gets 40+ mpg on the highway, the big red truck still gets 21 empty.

I believe your 02' is an LB-7 engine... first generation Duramax and the injectors were the weak point, and the design required a major tear down to access and replace. 

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Diablo

Quote from: Threeweight on February 10, 2018, 10:12:08 AM
The fear of bio in the older trucks is that they didn't want to warranty the trucks for people using home-brew, or fuel from questionable sources that may be full of impurities.  Biodiesel is also a mild solvent, and it will "free up" the goo left behind by years of running dino diesel and send it running through the fuel system.  If one were going to run it in an older truck with a lot of miles, I'd want to run a tank or two of it then change the fuel filter.

Down here you can find B20 here at Shell stations, Safeways, Astro's, etc... and I suspect many, many trucks are running it without even knowing it.  I believe all the newer trucks (since 2010 or so) are approved for B20.

My 06' Duramax and 06' Jetta TDI both recommended nothing greater than B5 back in the day, but both have run tens of thousands of miles of B20 with no issues.
I've just used fuel from reputable stations, and stayed on top of my fuel filter changes.  I haven't noticed any significant change in fuel economy... Jetta still gets 40+ mpg on the highway, the big red truck still gets 21 empty.

I believe your 02' is an LB-7 engine... first generation Duramax and the injectors were the weak point, and the design required a major tear down to access and replace.

Any diesel can run on bio diesel. Older diesels need to replace all the rubber hoses in the fuel lines which is what causes problems in the old diesels running bio diesel. Bio diesel gets about 20% less mpg so B20 is not a very big hit on economy. I also like B20 and have used B100. The lubricosity of bio diesel is higher. That's a good thing because when they developing low sulfur diesel low lubricosity was a problem. That makes me think B20 is an excellent mix.
Diesels will run on many alternative fuels like:
Synthetic diesel fuel.
Waist oil.
Vegetable oil.
Dimethyl ether (DME) and other heavier ethers.
Alcohols, i.e. ethanol and methanol.
Methane, i.e. natural gas, biogas and synthetic natural gas (SNG)
Hydrogen.
Blended fuels.
Some of these are referred to as bio diesel by some but are not. Biodiesel, i.e. diesel fuels derived from "renewable" feedstocks.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

croaker stroker

Quote from: Threeweight on February 10, 2018, 08:51:07 AM
Congrats!

I don't smell or see anything but fresh air coming from my Ram exhaust....pretty amazing to me after having owned a '93 6.5 Detroit.

That DEF system really works ! 

Chasin, that is a badass truck!  My son has the same truck.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Chasin Baitman

Here she is. A little overpowered for the current job, but maybe in the future she can realize her full potential! Thanks for your help guys.

Rokefin

Sweet set-up Baitman :applause:

Markshoreline

Awesome truck!  But does't it need bigger wheels and tires????  :jester:
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

ATGEP

Quote from: Markshoreline on February 10, 2018, 08:28:08 PM
Awesome truck!  But does't it need bigger wheels and tires????  :jester:
And a 6" lift!

Fisherdv

I say leave it stock but put some more aggressive tires on it. Like some of the new BFG all terrains one size larger than stock tires :twocents: Nice truck!