News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Truck - Gas or Diesel?

Started by Chasin Baitman, February 04, 2018, 10:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yachter Yat

I had a Tundra before getting my 2015 4wd Tacoma TRD access cab.  That Tundra could have pulled my house off the foundation, but as you might expect, MPG wasn't anything to brag about.  I must say, I love my Tacoma.  So far, nicest truck I've ever owned. 

BTW, Croaker.............14 MPG with your "2wd" Tacoma? :hoboy:   That doesn't sound right!  Although I haven't taken the time to check my "4wd" Tacoma, I know for sure I'm getting way better than that.  Your not driving with the handbrake on again.......are you?  :jester:

Yat

Edit:  BTW, I just fueled-up my truck this morning.  Current prices at our local station in Windham are:  $2.49 for reg. gas and $2.99 for diesel. 
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Yat, $2.49??? It's more like $3.75-4.00 a gallon here :doh:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Yachter Yat

WOW!  That's unreal! 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Maybe I should tow my boat with a Volkswagen Beetle like in that old Arima add :shrug9: :jester:

Threeweight

I was in your boat a few years ago.  I've owned gas and diesel rigs, and I'd offer a few thoughts...  In a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, the downsides to diesel are greater cost to purchase, and greater cost to maintain vs. gas.  Upside are typically greater longevity + resale value, and better fuel economy (just came back from a weekend on the coast where my Duramax averaged 21.5 mpg, hand calculated from fill ups at the pump).  I would set aside comparisons to half tons for now...

If you are buying a used diesel, do your homework.  Some year/model diesel engines are fantastic (1999 to early 2003 Ford's with the 7.3, Dodge 5.9's, GM 6.6 "LBZ" Duramax in the 2006-2007.5 vintage) and command extremely high resale values.  Some are a ticking time bomb and should be avoided like the plague (*cough* Ford 6.0 *cough*).  Some transmissions are awesome (2006+ GM's with the 6 speed Allison auto) some are awful (early 5.9 Dodges with the 545RE).  You can build up a transmission relatively cheap, engines are another matter.  The quality of the rest of the truck is worth noting too... Ford interiors hold up better than GM/Dodge... GM's layout is pretty comfy and simple and the Duramax's are relatively quiet and refined, old Dodge's are full of squeaks and rattles, etc...)

I have one of the "holy grail" trucks (2006 GMC 1 ton with the Duramax 6.6 and Allison 6 speed) but I searched for 2 years for it, and it wasn't cheap.  I could have bought 3 used Ford 6.0's for what my truck cost.

To gas vs. diesel... in a 3/4 or 1 ton, the truck makers are going to use "heavy duty" gas engines designed for commercial use.  The upside is longevity, the downside is they typically don't make as much power as the 1/2 ton "light duty" gas engines.  In older Ford rig's you'll see the anemic old 5.4, and a few with the gas guzzling V10's (decent power, horrible mileage).  On GM's, the venerable old Chevy 6.0's run forever but are pretty mild on power.  Without the Cummins diesel, IMO Dodges are not worth looking at... Hemi 5.7 is a guzzler not known for longevity, and expensive to fix.  Torque in these HD engines tends to be decent (and remember that torque is what moves heavy loads, not horsepower).   They will pull, they just won't get you there very fast.  They are overwhelmed with really big loads (over 10k) and gas mileage will be horrific both loaded and unloaded.

Now for half tons... they are plenty to tow most boats up to 7500# or so, but if you plan to tow heavy in the future IMO they fall short (especially if you ever desire a camper).  Lighter brakes, frame, transmission.  Payload and axle ratings are typically 1400 pounds (total passenger, cargo, tongue weight, etc...).    Brake calipers and discs are smaller than heavy duty trucks, suspensions are soft and squishy for comfort more than capacity and controlling loads, and transmissions just designed more for fuel economy and smoothness than for longevity when towing heavy.  I love Toyota's, but the current Tundra 5.7 has a 1400# payload and 400 pound feet of torque in a 4 door, 4wd configuration.  My 12 year old GMC is rated for 3600# payload, and puts out 650 pound feet of torque... current generation diesels are approaching 900 pound feet of torque, stock.  I put 30,000 miles on my truck in 3 years, almost all of it with a 7500# boat behind it and a 2000# camper in the bed... I don't think any half ton is going to last very long used that way.

The big advantage of the half tons is how manageable they are in the city... decent comfort, easy to drive and park.  I love my truck, but I would hate it as a daily driver in the city.  I drive around my wife's old VW Jetta for that. 

Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Yachter Yat

Haha.  You guys are going to laugh, but I've owned 5 "Beetles".  In fact, my wife and I went to Woodstock, in 1969, in one.  I could never imagine towing anything like that with one of those.  Cant' say for sure (without looking back), but I'd be willing to bet, that Arima you see being towed doesn't have a motor.

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Wow Yat, 5 beetles, Woodstock? I guess you could tow this with that beetle  :jester:

Yachter Yat

:jester:  Ya...............but not with that "passenger" in it.  :jester:

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Rokefin

Threeweight - as usual a thought out very well written post, spot on except the part "I'd offer a few thoughts"....

Threeweight

I think it was Mark Twain who once said "I'd have written you a shorter letter, but I didn't have time."

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Fisherdv

For those who have 1/2 ton, older trucks adding an engine oil cooler, and a transmission fluid cooler is a good idea if not standard equipment  :twocents:

headduck

Quote from: Yachter Yat on February 05, 2018, 11:32:57 AM
   Haha.  You guys are going to laugh, but I've owned 5 "Beetles".  In fact, my wife and I went to Woodstock, in 1969, in one.  I could never imagine towing anything like that with one of those.  Cant' say for sure (without looking back), but I'd be willing to bet, that Arima you see being towed doesn't have a motor.

Yat

Any pictures to support said beetle and the summer of love... :stirthepot:
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

Markshoreline

I was wondering if Yat still smokes pot...
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

That would explain some things
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

La-Z-Buoy

Meanwhile, back to the main subject:::::::::

I'll try to keep it short.

Never owned a diesel. I'll put that out first. I do believe they have their place. If you're heavy hauling or working it they're probably worth it.

I have an 2012 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost. 70K miles on it. One issue with an O2 sensor. Plenty of power to haul any Arima with maybe the exception of the 22SL. If you want a daily driver, ability to pull the Arima, I put my vote on this combo. I'm very happy with mine. Used market, if you don't want new, probably has a good selection by now.   :twocents:

Richard

2001 21' Sea Ranger HT
2017 DF 140 Suzuki, Honda 8

croaker stroker

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

I saw that commercial during the Super Bowl

Fisherdv

Quote from: headduck on February 05, 2018, 07:40:55 PM
Quote from: Yachter Yat on February 05, 2018, 11:32:57 AM

Yat

Any pictures to support said beetle and the summer of love... :stirthepot:
I found that pic, it's true he was there, I guess he smoked too much before the show!  :jester:...........sorry Yat, I couldn't help it....... :biggrin: That's actually pretty cool that you were there. Some great bands

Threeweight

Quote from: Chasin Baitman on February 04, 2018, 10:42:49 AM
I'm passively shopping for a 3/4 ton truck.  My 2010 F-150 went bye-bye and I'm thinking I should future-proof a larger boat purchase and make sure I have the towing ability.

I think he has something bigger than an Arima in mind for his eventual future boat...

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Chasin Baitman

Quote from: Threeweight on February 05, 2018, 08:46:32 PM
Quote from: Chasin Baitman on February 04, 2018, 10:42:49 AM
I'm passively shopping for a 3/4 ton truck.  My 2010 F-150 went bye-bye and I'm thinking I should future-proof a larger boat purchase and make sure I have the towing ability.

I think he has something bigger than an Arima in mind for his eventual future boat...

Right, there is likely a bigger boat in the future.  Maybe not this year or even next.  But every time I go down that road I end up with the truck problem.  PLUS, my current truck has 230k on it and doesn't even tow my 19SR boat that well.  So I need a new vehicle regardless.  I really liked my 2010 Ford F150 but I think it had just been ridden too hard in its prior life.

I think another 1/2 ton would be fine if my next move was going to be a 21' SR (which is a possibility), but my current mindset is something in the 22'-24' range like a hewes, defiance admiral, parker 2320 or even a grady or osprey of one should pop up.  If I acquire the proper towing power now, it won't be a constraint if and  when I do start shopping.

This new truck would not be a "daily driver".  Our current vehicle doesn't get used on a daily basis.  And when I say "going to seattle" I mean visiting friends in shoreline or something...I don't even go into the city with my current truck.  City folk scare me :P 

Appreciate all the thoughtful feedback, it's SUPER helpful!
2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

Threeweight

My take... if you are looking at stuff in the Parker 2320/Osprey 24/Grady 232 weight class (8000# or more for a loaded boat+trailer), go for a 3/4 ton.  If you think you might want a truck camper, 1 ton.

Diesel vs. gas... if it isn't going to be driven much, that kind of argues for gas.  Do you have the Tuna! bug and plan on trailering to Westport regularly?  Or would you mostly be towing local?  In order to pencil out, you need to put enough miles on a diesel to enjoy the fuel economy/longevity benefits. 

If you like Fords, I'd keep an eye out for a low miles F250 with the 5.4 gasser.  The big V10 will tow better, but expect 12 mpg on the highway empty at 55 mph with a tail wind.  The newer trucks with the 6.2 gasser are better, but pricey.  Any of the GM's 2500 series with a 6.0 gasser would be another option.  The gassers are going to be slow, and may struggle a bit with a big boat on hills, but they should get the job done.

In the tin can boats... a Hewes Ocean Pro 22 or 24 is in the 7500# range on the trailer fully loaded and fueled... a newer 1/2 ton would suffice for it.  IMO, I don't think they'd be a good choice long-term for a big glass boat.  I know a guy who towed a Parker 2320 with a Tundra 5.7... it did it, but he had to add air bags to the rear suspension, and emergency stops were exciting. 

--- Hunter S. Thompson

Yachter Yat

Fisher;  I think I do have one picture that caught a small portion of my green Beetle we took on the road heading in.  Think it's somewhere stored over the garage.  BTW, I showed that picture you posted of the bug with people on it, to my wife.  We both laughed out loud.  This is a true story; as I live and breathe:   The night we left that place, we got jammed to a stall in traffic.  Some girl came up to our window and asked if she could sleep on my roof.  I said yes, and she did just that.........she crawled up from the rear bumper. We were all half asleep, but I vaguely recall hearing her "debark" after a couple hours.  All and all, a crazy experience.  :jester:

Oh yeah.....should also say, I never smoked pot (or anything else) at Woodstock.   For a while, we where sitting under this "makeshift" platform they had built to support some camera equipment.  This thing was kind of centered in the field, and it seemed like everybody around us was smoking one thing or another.  At times the air seemed to be completely filled with smoke.  So, I guess you could say I "did" smoke some kind of second hand substance.........but only by "proxy". :jester:

Yat

16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Chasin Baitman

Thanks 3wt, always appreciate your thoughtful input. Yes I am thinking towing distance will be necessary due to rapidly shrinking opportunity here in MA7. 

I am leaning slightly towards gas. But am taking a look at a 2015 ram 2500 with 6.7 cummins today. And also a 2013 ram 2500 gas drinker.
2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

croaker stroker

The Ram cloth seats are much more comfortable than the leather.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸