News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Truck - Gas or Diesel?

Started by Chasin Baitman, February 04, 2018, 10:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chasin Baitman

I'm passively shopping for a 3/4 ton truck.  My 2010 F-150 went bye-bye and I'm thinking I should future-proof a larger boat purchase and make sure I have the towing ability.

It probably would be our only vehicle.  I work at home and the wife walks to work, so mileage on the truck would be low.  It would be used for around-town stuff, occasional trips in the region (seattle or BC), and of course towing the boat. It's likely I will need to tow the boat longer distances because of the upcoming severe restrictions on fishing my home waters, which at this point I think are inevitable :(

Anyway, whatr your guys opinions about gas vs diesel?  In terms of diesel (which is probably better for towing), here's what I see as the pros and cons:

Pros:

- better low-end towing power
- tend to last longer
- slightly better gas mileage
- higher resale value

Cons:

- noisier
- pay $5-$10K more on the used market
- pollution: future restrictions potentially impacting the vehicle itself or its resale value(?)
- may be overkill because my current boat is only 19' and it's unlikely any future boat will be gigantic
- towing won't be its only function
- not all filling stations have diesel

Thoughts and opinions appreciated!

2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

Yachter Yat

You said it would be used for "around town stuff" and occasional trips?  Then I'd say GAS!  If you lived in New England, I'd also say GAS!  There's no economy in diesel around here.  Diesel fuel is considerably more expensive than gas in this part of the country so that mileage thing goes out the window.  Not only that, but by the time the motor gets broken-in, the truck is usually rotted-out.  :jester:

Yat   
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

I bought a Ram 1500. I can tow a 9200# trailer. (My travel trailer weighs about 8000# loaded) I have pulled this trailer up and down the steepest grades traveling around the West. The only limitation on this truck is the carrying capacity. (Much like the smaller Arimas  :jester:)

It has a 3.0 VM Motori Diesel engine which I have seen 28 mpg a couple of times unloaded on straight highway driving at 50mph,consistent 19 mpg around town, 16mpg Pulling the trailer. They come with two gear ratios in the differential. I have the lower gearing.

A HUGE benefit of the fuel mileage that I really never thought about, is the distance I can travel between fuelings.

Another HUGE benefit is the ride (rear coils)  and cabin comfort....that is what sold my wife.  :wink:

To overcome the carrying capacity limitation (1200# including passengers), I installed "Airlift" airbags in the rear coil springs. These work great and were easy to install.

I have put 25,000 miles on this truck and have yet to take it to the dealer for anything at all (Knock on wood)

However, this year California has added a 15% tax on diesel fuel making the current cost just under $4.00 per gallon. (More than premium gas)

...and this truck is not cheap.  :facepalm:
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Tom Mac

Con
Diesel, maintenance and repairs more money on the engine
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

Tj805

I have an older dodge diesel I tow my boat with.
Love it a lot .
But I'm only 7 miles from the launch ramp.
Plus it's a manual and not everyone can drive it nor do I let them try.
If I had to do it again I would get a 6.0 gas Chevy 2500 with an auto trans.
The diesel is awesome for power and what not I can easily get 18 mpg towing.
But the gas trucks are good drivers and more comfortable overall.
At this point I've gone threw my whole diesel and selling it would be stupid .
At the 1000 miles a year I put on it . I'll own that truck till I die .

2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

Diablo

DIESEL
Overall 55% of stations have diesel. Fewest on East coast, 51%. 69% in Canada. It is not really a problem finding diesel. Much easier than finding ethanol free gas. Diesel prices bounce around above and below regular gas but the fuel economy still wins out.

They cost more but hold their value well like Arimas.

An old saying "You buy horse power but you drive torque". You notice the torque of a diesel especially going up hill etc.

We have a diesel truck, my car is a diesel as was my last car, and we have two diesels in the big boat. You change oil and filters every year and that's about it for maintenance.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

troll4fish

For towing longer distances, heavier loads and to have more than adequate stopping power I have a 2002 F250 7.3 and just about to have an ATS 4R100 stage 3 super transmission installed. I have 133K (only 1/3rd life on the motor). For my money you cannot beat a diesel motor (ford, dodge or chevy for longevity). A gas motor will never last anywhere near as long as a diesel when asked to perform the same duty! My last gas truck a 1995 f250 had motor issues at 67K so I sold it and bought my first diesel and have never even considered a gas truck since.  :twocents:
92 Sea Chaser 17
2004 (2015 total rebuild) Mercury 90 EFI 4 stroke
2014 Honda 8hp full remote power tilt!

Hydroman

I'm glad I purchased for 02 Chev 2500 with the Duramax  diesel new in 01.  At that time I was towing a 17' SC SR and never thought much about a larger boat shine then I have had a 21' SR and now a 27' TJ, guess you have no control over 2 foot disease.

If you plan on purchasing a late model diesel, do you home work because some of them have known to have issues.  I have two friend who had major engine failures.

Unfortunately the manufacturers no longer offer big block gas engines, so if you need the towing power you will be looking at a diesel.

I recently read an article that routine maintenance cost for diesel engine is about double for the diesels, $.04 for gas vs. $.08 for diesel.

I don't believe my cost are that high, however I do my own work.

Good look on your search.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

croaker stroker

My last truck was a one ton 1993 Chevy with a 6.5 turbocharged Detroit Diesel that ran 250,000 trouble free miles before I passed it to my son who drove it for another year before trading it in for a Jeep.

My 3.0 Motori has the same horsepower and torque as the 6.5 Detroit had.  :beerchug:

I change my own oil and filter every 5000 miles. Cost is around $200. The oil filter is around $50, and it takes 11 quarts of synthetic. Recommended interval is 10,000, but I believe in changing more often.  :wink:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

desertdog

I went round and round with the same questions last year. I ended up getting a 2017 Ram 2500 crew cab diesel and can't be more happier. Average 19 around town and 21 on freeway. I figured it was going to be the pickup truck they bury me in. Now looking for a travel trailer and no worries on what we can tow. Bigger boat would also come into play and no worries there either.

croaker stroker

That's what I would have bought too, but my wife fell in love with the EcoDiesel truck.   :shrug9:

It's all about the ride for her.   :biggrin:  and as I get older, I guess a cushy ride is my preference now as well. :doh:

....you can't go wrong with that Cummins. It has been around for so many years.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

milos dad

We have had 2 diesel trucks back to back, both 1 ton Chevy's.  We had a number of emission control/def issues with our 2011, and traded for a new 2015.  On our way home to BC, check engine light in northern Az, resulting in a one day layover in Las Vegas for a regen sensor.  We had a defective fuel pressure regulator, a failed weld on a egr crossover (6 days in Crescent City, CA), so we are not big fans of the reliability of the new trucks.  We wanted diesel for our heavy fifth wheel trailer, but would consider gas next time.

M D
Rick
87 Sea Hunter with 94 Honda 45
2009 6 hp Merc kicker

J Chaser

I just bought a 2016 Silverado one ton. I went with gas because I do a lot of short runs and diesels don't like that.

J.
Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

Omega3

I will never buy another diesel.2007 Ram 2500 was the worst,least dependable truck I have ever owned.If you don't tow heavy all the time go gas.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

ATGEP

I have been pondering the same question about gas/vs diesel for my next truck.  I am leaning towards the Ford 6.2 in the 2500/3500 truck. The 6.2 has a great reputation and I like the f-series trucks. ALL of the diesels have some major compromises to meet emissions and repairs are stupid expensive.

BruceL2_Fish

I like diesel.  You can't bet the torque.   Better fuel mileage as well.   Maintenance is a bit more.   Towing, with diesel truck is so much easier on the running gear. 
I am now running a newer 6.7 power stroke, much quieter then my old 97 7.3 powerstroke.   That old truck ran for 17 year flawlessly for me. 
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

familyrig

We went from F150 that performed great for 6 years to a new 6.7 diesel F250 in 2011.  I will never go gas again.  It is my wife's daily driver and she loves it also.  No more white knuckle driving and absolutely love pulling the boats or trailer straight up a hill passing everyone!!  My vote would easily be diesel.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1999 Sea Explorer 75hp Yamaha 6HP Suzuki/ 1990 Sea Ranger 17' 90 hp Honda

polarbill1999

If I was stepping up to a 3/4 ton I would jump to the diesel.  That said, if I had a 19 arima to tow and was going to use a truck as you say I may opt for a used low mile half ton.  Cost, cost of maintenance and lack of maneuverability and not having a need for a 3/4 ton in the first place would have me shy away from going g that route. 
Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

Chasin Baitman

Interesting perspectives, as usual!  I'm definitely white-knuckling now with my old 2003 f-150. 
2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

Omega3

My Tundra pulls the boat like its not there.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

amazing grace

Unless I missed something, and I usually do. You need to enlighten us about a future bigger boat. Right now you have a 19SR right?

I do not think,, not sure though that the Tundra is considered a half or three quarter. Probably in reality more like a 2/3rds :doh:

But unless going really big on a different boat. I would vote gas and Toyota first. I you are a Mechanic by trade. Maybe find a good diesel and work on it as needed. 

Keep in mind, mileage is going to suck in any of these larger gas trucks. But in reality operating cost is going similar all things considered gas or diesel.

:twocents:
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Markshoreline

I sure wouldn't want a big truck for a daily driver, especially for trips into Seattle.  I don't think you could find a large enough street space and it wouldn't be able to maneuver in most parking lots.  I hate taking my Ridgeline into town but love the Prius for that duty!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

croaker stroker

My 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 2WD got 14mpg around town, 10mpg Pulling the trailer. Even if you don't mind the bad gas mileage, the range pulling the trailer was intolerable. Only 100 to 130 miles. (depending on how low you let the tank get.)

It was powerful quick for a six cylinder, but it gulped gas.

Did I tell you how much I like my Ram1500 EcoDiesel ?   :jester:

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

AP

I've bounced this question around for a while and have talked to a lot of people about it.  You can find a lot of people that really love their diesels (just like this thread).  I certainly don't doubt their experiences and opinions.  BUT... I've now talked to so many people that have horror stories about various diesel engine and fuel delivery issues that have cost them absurd amounts of money to fix.  And these aren't high mileage or abused trucks. 

Fairly certain my next truck will be a Tundra but the gas mileage isn't good and they haven't modernized the (incredibly reliable) engine in a long time.  The positive side of that is that, if you don't need all of the luxury that comes with the newer trucks, you can get a slightly older one and get the same "performance" as a more recent one.  For me, i still haven't pulled the trigger because it is tough to justify the $20k-$50k upgrade cost when my current POS always gets me to the ramp and back.