News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Battery Help

Started by Holokai, February 03, 2018, 02:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holokai

Looking to replace my starting battery for the first time (4yrs old).  I have the original battery when I bought the boat new from defiance.  It is a centennial Deep Cycle / DP24MF / CCA 775.  I went to Costco since they have interstate and those are the ones I put into my vehicles and they are a good price and return policy is the best anywhere but they only have a CCA 550 for the same size battery. The guy there said it will be fine. Is this going to be an issue or should I shop around and look for one that has a higher CCA?  I have a Honda 90hp motor.

First Cabin

My experience says 550 is more than enough.  I use the Costco battery for my Yamaha F100 and a friend uses one for his Honda 130. 

Might be in your owners manual though....
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

First Cabin

Just checked the owners manual for my Yamaha F100.  Minimum CCA required is 380.

Looks like you are good to go!

Holokai

If I go with the Costco Battery are they also good enough to use as a house battery also?  I didn't see anything to say that they are a deep cycle battery.

Fisherdv

If your only running 1 battery you may want to get a dual purpose battery 
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

First Cabin

Quote from: Holokai on February 03, 2018, 02:25:40 PM
If I go with the Costco Battery are they also good enough to use as a house battery also?  I didn't see anything to say that they are a deep cycle battery.

Their Marine battery is a hybrid starting/Deep cycle.  Unless you have high loads, it will probably be more than sufficient.  They've always lasted 5 plus years for me.

The key to Long life for any battery is making sure they are stored fully charged or on a battery maintainer.

Fishin Machine

I have two interstate batteries and have no issues. Costco batteries will work just as good since they are both made from Johnson Controls. Most likely the same factory.

FM
DDT
2003 19' Sea Ranger

ATGEP

I managed to kill my 2 yo costco house battery.  Start battery is doing great, but I think I camped one too many nights and she gave up the ghost.  I am replacing it with a duracell AGM battery. It at least has a 30mo warranty.

Dbobby23

Super happy with both my Costco batteries in my boat. Going on year 3
1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi

Fisherdv

I had an AC Delco voyager marine battery on my last boat that lasted 10+ years

Markshoreline

Time for a new one :biggrin:
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Fisherdv

When it finally gave out, guess what I replaced it with? Another one!  :jester:

Markshoreline

Hydroman

Costco now carries Interstate Batteries.

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

croaker stroker

I bought Interstate from Costco.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Diablo

Here is an article on marine batteries that clears up many issues.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/boat_battery_basics.htm
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Threeweight

Re: cranking... Batteries Plus can order Duracell branded units with higher CCA's (I have a 850 cca Series 27 for my big Honda.)  I have Costco Interstates in my truck, and I've had good luck with Exxide AGM's in my old Arima.

All those battery name brands you see area really just Johnson Controls or East Penn sold under different labels.

IMO, batteries are a regular replacement item, and a basic safety item.  Electrical loads are pretty light on an Arima, so you can get away with stretching them a little longer.  I swap flooded cells out every 3 years.  With AGM's, 4.

The loudest sound in the world is the "click" a boat starter makes out on the ocean when the battery is dead.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

Saturday, my wife left the door in her car open. The 2 year old Costco Interstate battery went dead overnnight so I charged it with my Westmarine "smart" battery charger. The charger reported that her battery had a shorted cell. She took it back to Costco to buy a new one and was told that they no longer install the batteries....also, They also told her that since she didn't have a receipt, she would not get the pro-rate.

When I removed the old battery, there was a sticker that clearly indicated the date we bought it and the Costco logo. I was certain that Costco still must have the record of our purchase.

I told her to take it back and go inside the store and ask for the manager of the store. Long story short, she got all of the money back on the new battery. The store manager said that they are guaranteed for
. 4 years...full replacement. He apologized for the issue she had with the personnel in the tire department.

Right there is the best reason to buy Costco Interstate.  👍🏻

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

You can answer by PM if necessary, but how do you 1. get her to go to Costco to buy a battery, and, 2. get her to go back?  Doesn't she point out that you are retired and do guy things?

jamaica

Always good to send the swat team...always works for me. When the manager realizes he's talking to someone who is simply pissed off and doesn't really understand the dynamics of batteries in this case or whatever other case it's easier for them to simply do what we want anyway. Good job!

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on February 05, 2018, 05:46:20 PM

I told her to take it back and go inside the store and ask for the manager of the store. Long story short, she got all of the money back on the new battery. The store manager said that they are guaranteed for
1994 19' Sea Ranger 150hp Merc 2stk 9.9hp Yam

croaker stroker

Quote from: Markshoreline on February 05, 2018, 08:55:43 PM
You can answer by PM if necessary, but how do you 1. get her to go to Costco to buy a battery, and, 2. get her to go back?  Doesn't she point out that you are retired and do guy things?

Well, she is much prettier than me. She has much better success convincing the manager at Costco 1. To have somebody carry the old heavy battery into the store, and the new one out to the car.  And 2. Convince him to give her money back.

Hahaha. Jamaica....high five !

And Mark, I just made the mistake of reading your post to her.   :doh:  ...she gave me the "evil eye" and said Yeah!

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Holoholo808

Costco/Interstate Group 24 works fine with my Honda 90.
For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"

Fisherdv

Are those Costco Interstate dual purpose batteries?

Hydroman

I will have to check my Costco ones tomorrow, I believe they are group 27 dual purpose'

Jim
17 Sea Chaser (sold)
21 Skip Tower (sold)
27 Thunder Jet OS (sold)
22 Thunder Jet OS

Holoholo808

Quote from: Fisherdv on February 05, 2018, 09:37:10 PM
Are those Costco Interstate dual purpose batteries?

Both Group 24 and Group 27 available at my local Costco are listed as Deep Cycle as the Group Size is followed by "DC" on the label. If it matters, the cranking amps are actually higher than the Dual Purpose batteries that Interstate has listed on their site.  Only the Heavy Duty Cranking model of the same size has a higher cranking amp rating.  IIRC, the CA/CCA ratings are done under a very specific set of parameters that don't exactly mimic most of our starting situations so they may not be as vital unless your engine requirement is near their rated amp limit.  Your power/ground cable sizing is probably a lot more important and often overlooked.

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/recreation-vehicles/marine-batteries

Not sure you're going to find a consistently better deal than Costco if you have your battery mounted in the sponson and aren't looking for AGM batteries.  If, anything run them for a couple years and exchange for new; you only may get a pro-rated percentage of the original cost but at least it's something back so your net cost is lower.
For easier searching go to Google and type "site:www.arimaowners.com (search term)"