News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Batteries

Started by Rokefin, October 23, 2017, 12:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fisherdv

2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

croaker stroker

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Every time I'm in West Marine they quote my a different price for annual service. I have to look into it again

Fisherdv

If you don't have a membership then it's big $$$$$$$. I need the salt and fresh membership

croaker stroker

Not big money for just towing.  You can buy it from the link I posted.

They are probably quoting you an insurance package.  My insurance is through Progressive.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

I mean if you call a tow and you don't have the membership. Then I heard it can run $800+ for a tow. Thanks for bringing it up. I need to sign up

GHMariner

Quote from: DevMah on February 14, 2018, 10:16:58 AM
Guys
IMO
I don't think you need to carry a jump pack if you have a two battery system, why not just add the ACR so that there is no possible way to discharge the start battery and make it automatic... For the added price of a ACR or battery kit  and having this switching being done automatically... I would seriously think that common sense kicks in and that you check your batteries/fuel before you head out. 

If that's the case then better keep 2 jump packs in case the one you brought was not charged...

The only way this would make sense if  you had a single battery system, but I would recommend that you add a second battery... if your charging system was to ever fail while you were out, once the start battery was depleted you would be dead in the water, the jump pack would do nothing for you (as it has a short duration of charges). This also goes if your battery all of a sudden shorted, so you can start your motor to get running with the jump pack but strain/possibly damage your charging system.
This is when you would switch to your second deep cycle and have a better chance to make it back to the nearest dock, or be able to use your good battery to radio for help.

If you have a 2 battery system here is what I would do in the event the start battery failed
-Switch to battery 2 only try to start
-If a no go as a "Hail Mary" combine the battery's and try again.
If both battery's combined wont start the engine then you have a possible charging/connection/battery/fuse or starter issue...
-Try to pull start or if you have a kicker use it.

If you want to combine batteries manually to charge, please install Voltmeters to check each batteries voltage before combining. Make sure you have over 12v per battery, the worst thing is to combine a good and bad battery and cause further damage.

Once again this is just my  :twocents: the decision is always yours.

Dev

Sure. But why NOT carry one?

I mean, they cost $60 and take up as much space as a bottle of water. It's not like it's a big investment or hassle to bring along. Plus, if you run into another boater in need of a jump, you can use it to help them. Heck, the moment I realized I needed one was when I was camping and my car battery died and I asked someone if they could give me a jump. He walked down to his boat at the dock and pulled out the jump pack.

DevMah

Quote from: GHMariner on February 14, 2018, 12:58:56 PM
Quote from: DevMah on February 14, 2018, 10:16:58 AM
Guys
IMO
I don't think you need to carry a jump pack if you have a two battery system, why not just add the ACR so that there is no possible way to discharge the start battery and make it automatic... For the added price of a ACR or battery kit  and having this switching being done automatically... I would seriously think that common sense kicks in and that you check your batteries/fuel before you head out. 

If that's the case then better keep 2 jump packs in case the one you brought was not charged...

The only way this would make sense if  you had a single battery system, but I would recommend that you add a second battery... if your charging system was to ever fail while you were out, once the start battery was depleted you would be dead in the water, the jump pack would do nothing for you (as it has a short duration of charges). This also goes if your battery all of a sudden shorted, so you can start your motor to get running with the jump pack but strain/possibly damage your charging system.
This is when you would switch to your second deep cycle and have a better chance to make it back to the nearest dock, or be able to use your good battery to radio for help.

If you have a 2 battery system here is what I would do in the event the start battery failed
-Switch to battery 2 only try to start
-If a no go as a "Hail Mary" combine the battery's and try again.
If both battery's combined wont start the engine then you have a possible charging/connection/battery/fuse or starter issue...
-Try to pull start or if you have a kicker use it.

If you want to combine batteries manually to charge, please install Voltmeters to check each batteries voltage before combining. Make sure you have over 12v per battery, the worst thing is to combine a good and bad battery and cause further damage.

Once again this is just my  :twocents: the decision is always yours.

Dev

Sure. But why NOT carry one?

I mean, they cost $60 and take up as much space as a bottle of water. It's not like it's a big investment or hassle to bring along. Plus, if you run into another boater in need of a jump, you can use it to help them. Heck, the moment I realized I needed one was when I was camping and my car battery died and I asked someone if they could give me a jump. He walked down to his boat at the dock and pulled out the jump pack.

Nothing personal... I just giving my opinion...
Lets not compare being stuck on land vs water or car to a boat.
I'm sure I can ask the same questions...
-Why not add the ACR so you don't have any of these issue?

FYI the cost for mini ACR is approx $60 also .
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00DQ9PU7U/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Sea-7601-DC-Mini-ACR-Automatic-Charging-Relay-65-Amp-/112321371163?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

You can carry a jump pack.. its up to you.

It is very common in forums to discuss what the Pro's and Cons are, at the end of the day we can only recommend things... it up to the user to decide.

:beerchug:
Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold

Fisherdv

Would leaving a ff/gps on while drifting or anchored with the motor off cause a significant battery drain on a single battery?

Threeweight

Not unless you are running a monster 1 killowatt transducer.  Or have a weak battery.  More typically I think issues that arise on the water are from tired old batteries, or a short that causes a severe draw.  Both are good arguments 2 battieries + a good switch that isolates the two circuits, and an auto charging relay of some kind.

I don't have an issue with the lithium jump packs at all, but IMO they are an emergency backup item, not a replacement for redundant systems.  30 miles offshore, I'd prefer to have 2 batteries than 1 and a jump pack (but maybe 2 batteries + a jump pack isn't a bad idea).
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

DevMah

Quote from: Fisherdv on February 14, 2018, 11:46:37 AM
Emergency start rope  :shrug9:

Fisherv

If you have a Yamaha here is how to pull start.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SvPCPBIJ8w8

Dev
2015 21' Sea Ranger w 150 Yammy  (Tight lines) Sold
2012 Lund 1650SS  w 2012 60HP Mercury-Sold