News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Bait tank operation

Started by daheechang, January 29, 2018, 02:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daheechang

Hello Arima community. I apologize if this has already been addressed and if this is very stupid/obvious question ,however i cannot figure out how these bait tanks work on the stern of the boat. the two 5 gallon bait tanks on port and starboard side.

If these are for bait tanks, is there supposed to be a plug on the inside or outside drain where it drains out to the transom? Perhaps it's because i bought the boat used and they were just missing, however i've just seen these as extra storage in the past and would love to find out the proper use of these bait tanks.

Thank you in advance for the help!

Fisherdv

Storage. Not well suited to a bait tank, but some people probably have tried. Maybe some ice and frozen bait :shrug9: I use mine for fishing lure containers and the other for motor flush muffs, towels, miscellaneous stuff
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

daheechang

thank you for the reply. i figured it was to function as a built in ice box with a drain for melted water. just confused why arima advertised them so proudly as a bait tank.

FishAddict

I use mine for live herring and it does good.  i have never tried anchovies as I have a real tank for that...Most trips I use it for storage or frozen bait
21ft Sea Ranger w/Yamaha F150

daheechang

how do you keep water in the tank without it draining out? is there supposed to be a plug that you can put in and out from inside the tank?

FishAddict

I'm not sure how your tank is rigged, but mine has a plug in the bottom and a overflow in the top.  I actually run my pump all the time so that my bait has nice fresh water, but I could definitely just put in the little drain plug.  I can go take some pictures if that helps.
21ft Sea Ranger w/Yamaha F150

StreamFixer

Mine feeds from the bottom and drains near the top...  Good enough to keep crab and Kokanee alive (NO!!! NOT at the same time HemiGTX--)   :hoboy:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

BestBoats

On my 21 they are 11 gallons each....I have mine set up for live bait and they will handle one scoop of anchovies each.
2007 21' Sea Ranger Hardtop "THE A-TEAM"
150 Evinrude Etec
9.9 Susuki EFI

croaker stroker

I think the amount of anchovies in a "scoop" is different in different parts of the country.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Mine are only five gallons each, but there is a launch ramp I sometimes go that sells live anchovies per each. So maybe I can keep 5 anchovies in each side  :whistle:

daheechang

@Fishaddict if you dont mind uploading a picture of your setup that would be very helpful. i'll try to grab a picture of mine as well to show where i'm confused in operation. My tank has 1 hole on the bottom which drains out through the transom. No air source to keep water pumping and fish alive, nor a plug on my hole. Im thinking it was either installed as a ice box type hold so ice melting would drain out or it's just missing a plug that was originally there. My boat is a 1999 19 SR if that helps. Thank you for all your replies and suggestions!

Yachter Yat

Hi daheechang;   Just wanted to tell you that those (so-called) bait boxes don't make very good coolers.  There's no insulation and they're not very air tight.  Don't ask me how I found this out.  :doh: 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

StreamFixer

Ya gotta be quick Yat.   If you had drunk your beer faster, you would never have known those spaces did not work well as 'coolers'   :whistle:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

diodon

Best use is for storage IMO :twocents:
2007 21 Sea Explorer.   2007 Suzuki DF140.        2011 Honda 9.9

Fisherdv

jamaica

When I'm not using mine (starboard only has pump) for live bait I throw all my salty gear in it 'till I either use it again or rinse it when I get home.
1994 19' Sea Ranger 150hp Merc 2stk 9.9hp Yam

Diablo

I store my down rigger release, extra rod holders, etc in there. My first Arima did have some snap handle drain plugs like this

https://greatlakesskipper.com/lund-moeller-marine-brass-7-8-inch-boat-snap-handle-baitwell-livewell-drain-plug
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Yachter Yat

Fixer, that's funny.......and you may be right, but let me tell you:  One day (years ago) we were to go out with another couple.   So..........I thought I'd be nice and bring some extra cold drinks for everybody.  I made-up a bunch of ice and loaded it in the bait boxes along with the beverages.   By the time I got to the marina (about an hour away), you can imagine my surprise when I opened the hatches to find those drinks rolling around in a small pool of water.  :hoboy:   What was I thinking?  This is New England and it's summer.  I guess you could say it was one of those many moments in my life when I wanted to look in the mirror and screech like a donkey.  :jester:

Luckily, I haven't had the urge to "donkey screech" lately..........but I know it's coming.  :doh:

Yat

History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Yat, with the temps you guys have been having lately you don't even need ice :jester:

Yachter Yat

True, Fisher............true, but did you forget............Arima is "not" an ice boat?   :jester:

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)