News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Wdfw buying Olson’s Resort?

Started by Dbobby23, January 27, 2018, 10:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dbobby23

1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi

dbhazjack

Well doesn't that figure, since they put them OUT of business?  :shrug9:

Sometimes..........
2013 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker. SOLD

BruceL2_Fish

2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Markshoreline

I guess that's better than the property becoming private condos, but what an irony!
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

StreamFixer

I note they (WDFW) are only discussing the ramp and associated parking...  What of the store and accommodations??? 

Mason's will have a tough time making it on just accommodation traffic, however, off loading the marine maintenance costs might better help them make that nut...

Too bad Big Salmon/Makah's cannot come up with a way for WDFW to compensate them for screwing up their businesses with the odd ball season scheduling presently in place.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Markshoreline

If the Macahs can't make Neah work we Arima Owners should buy and then operate it.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

headduck

Who's going to shuttle you to the remote parking spaces? Are they going to remove camping for parking...could actually be a very good thing..no?
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

gfakkema

Quote from: headduck on January 29, 2018, 02:27:51 PM
Who's going to shuttle you to the remote parking spaces? Are they going to remove camping for parking...could actually be a very good thing..no?

I'm struggling to think of JUST ONE TIME where WDFW did something that turned out "good". Look at the rest of the launches that they own. Almost all of them are run down with docks falling apart etc. I'd imagine that WDFW will just "operate" (meaning buy and do absolutely no maintenance or oversight) the launch, parking and docks. The store, fuel etc will be gone. Clallam Bay will soon be a ghost town.
2001 22' Sea Legend HT w/Alaskan Bulkhead
2006 Suzuki DF250 / 2004 Mercury 9.9

headduck

Maybe you're right...the only  publicly run ramp I had in my mind was Everett...which is one of the best ramps on the west coast...a far cry from others...

Maybe they subcontract the fuel and store...but who wants to run a business for 4 days a year...  :shrug9:

I am going to hope that they go in there...maintain it and give us great parking options...
2003 19' Sea Ranger Skip Top 2015 Mercury 115 2012 Evinrude 9.8

1987 17' Sea Ranger 90 Honda (sold)

StreamFixer

Hmmm   let's see...   Declining Budget vs increased operating costs to maintain ramp docks...  Hmmm 

Department employees who likely do not live in the community and thus must drive at least 1.5 hours each way to get to the work needing to be done, vs. resident maintenance staff (WDFW rducing staffing).....  Hmmmmm

What could go wrong???   Hmmmm   :nono:

Is a picture beginning to come into focus???

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

gfakkema

Quote from: headduck on January 29, 2018, 03:16:03 PM
Maybe you're right...the only  publicly run ramp I had in my mind was Everett...which is one of the best ramps on the west coast...a far cry from others...

You are 100% correct that the Everett launch is one of (if not THE best) on the west coast. Part of the reason for this is that it is run by the Port of Everett and WDFW has very little to do with it.

Quote from: headduck on January 29, 2018, 03:16:03 PM
I am going to hope that they go in there...maintain it and give us great parking options...

Like Fixer stated, WDFW is not likely to invest ANY time or money into Olsens. My guess is that they run it even more into the ground or sell it to the Makah tribe. Either way, sporties lose.

Chasin Baitman

It sure beats it closing down entirely. I feel bad for the owner of mason's. They just bought it a couple years ago and have suffered from the reduced seasons.  It's a bellwether for the entire fishing economy.

Sekiu is a special place, I think having some kind of access is a good thing. Even if the facilities and seasons are limited.
2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

BayWolf

Ummmmm....private citizen, private property....no case to litigation........private citizen sells said property to State (WDFW)........State owns ramp in which recreational fishermen launch to interfere with usual and accustomed tribal fishing grounds.........tribes protest and threaten litigation......ramp maintenance and improvements are put on hold indefinitely........ramp becomes unusable and worthless.

just saying...
"Forgiveness is between them and God. My job is to arrange the meeting."

First Sergeant
U.S. Army (retired) :flag:
WWW.Youtube.com/@Baywolf_Films

gfakkema

:yeahthat:

The only exception I could think of is that the tribes would buy instead of force litigation.

Omega3

79 years of serving the sportfisherman gone.Just like all of the other places that are gone.We can spend tens of millions of dollars for a prison in Sekiu but a place for hardworking folks to enjoy dies.Our coastline was once a destination fishery.John Wayne liked it so much a marina was named after him.This is the result of the Boldt decision.Almost all of the places that served fishermen in 1974 are gone.For those that don't know 1974 was the begining of the end for sportfishermen in Puget Sound.Our co- managers have made sure that little by little all opportunity is taken away.Sad times fellas,most of the time these days I wish that I didn't know what a great place this once was.It would'nt hurt so bad when it's all taken away.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

BayWolf

Quote from: Omega3 on January 29, 2018, 06:03:14 PM
Sad times fellas,most of the time these days I wish that I didn't know what a great place this once was.It would'nt hurt so bad when it's all taken away.

I get it.  After having pulled back the curtain and seeing how our fisheries are REALLY run, feels like finally going into the kitchen of your favorite long time restaurant, only to find a cockroach infested, filthy mess...makes ya wanna puke!

Sometimes, I really regret seeing the truth...and seeing how it's getting worse.  All I can do if fight.

First Sergeant

Mooch

Quote from: BayWolf on January 29, 2018, 04:31:48 PM
Ummmmm....private citizen, private property....no case to litigation........private citizen sells said property to State (WDFW)........State owns ramp in which recreational fishermen launch to interfere with usual and accustomed tribal fishing grounds.........tribes protest and threaten litigation......ramp maintenance and improvements are put on hold indefinitely........ramp becomes unusable and worthless.

just saying...

Shades of Point No Point.
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Chasin Baitman

Sometimes, I really regret seeing the truth...and seeing how it's getting worse.  All I can do if fight.

Baywolf i am inspired by your dedication! Keep up the great work.  You have already had an impact by addressing the festering and long-ignored issue of transparency and making it part of the conversation. These bureaucracies move at a glacial pace but I really think change will come as a result of your efforts.

2011 19' Sea Ranger, 2011 Suzuki DF115, 2011 Honda 8 kicker

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

BayWolf

Quote from: Chasin Baitman on January 31, 2018, 09:16:42 AM

Baywolf i am inspired by your dedication! Keep up the great work.  You have already had an impact by addressing the festering and long-ignored issue of transparency and making it part of the conversation. These bureaucracies move at a glacial pace but I really think change will come as a result of your efforts.

Thank you for the kind and encouraging words.  Senator Pearson told us that change in the culture of WDFW will take a long time also.  I'm very thankful for all the sportsmen, women and concerned citizens who have rolled up their sleeves and helped lift this to the attention of the Commission and others.  There is a lot of work left, and we have much to do, but it is a comfort to know that we have so many standing beside us. WE, are all in this fight, and any thanks truly goes to those like yourself who help carry the message for open, fair and equitable fisheries forward.

First Sergeant

Dbobby23

Quote from: BayWolf on January 31, 2018, 09:35:17 AM
Quote from: Chasin Baitman on January 31, 2018, 09:16:42 AM

Thank you for the kind and encouraging words.  Senator Pearson told us that change in the culture of WDFW will take a long time also.  I'm very thankful for all the sportsmen, women and concerned citizens who have rolled up their sleeves and helped lift this to the attention of the Commission and others.  There is a lot of work left, and we have much to do, but it is a comfort to know that we have so many standing beside us. WE, are all in this fight, and any thanks truly goes to those like yourself who help carry the message for open, fair and equitable fisheries forward.

Yes thank you Baywolf. My fingers are ready to send more emails and make more phone calls
1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi

BayWolf

I appreciate the many kind words, and the thanks that I've been given, however, the real thanks goes to you, and all the thousands of average, normal and everyday "Joe Fishermen" and "Joann Fisherwomen" along with the hundred of concerned citizens who have drawn a line in the sand and said, "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!"  We, collectively are numbering in the hundreds of thousands, and with that is power!  Just as transparency is a major issue in our national government, so it is in our fishery management.  WE MUST END THESE SECRET MEETINGS FOR EVERYONE. THERE IS NO PLACE FOR SECRETS IN FISHERY MANAGEMENT, PERIOD.

TO EVERY FISHERMAN, FISHERWOMAN AND CONCERNED CITIZEN WHO HAS JOINED IN THE FIGHT, THANK YOU!

First Sergeant

GregE

Shades of Point No Point.

Yep,  How many years have they been promising that launch ramp?   :shrug9:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait