News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

fuel tank straps

Started by jamaica, January 27, 2018, 03:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yachter Yat

Oops!  Forgot to thru-bolt those damned brackets.  :doh:

Yat

History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Markshoreline

...only as strong as it's weakest point, as they say.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Yachter Yat

Yup.........you're right, Mark.  I still like those black nylon straps as opposed to the factory stuff.  That said (as you eluded to), using those might be redundant unless the fasteners in the hull were fairly substantial and solidly mounted. 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Markshoreline

Yat what do you think about using stainless expanding nuts to secure under the tank deck?  Those would be hard to pull out!

Yachter Yat

Mark;  No doubt, those would provide a much more secure fastener than simply screwing into glass.  Funny you should mention that.  When I had my tank out for the 60 horse motor installation, I stared at those tie downs; thinking about what might be a better alternative.  Although I never did it, what crossed my mind at the time was replacing those screws with nylon toggle anchors.......you know, the kind you hang things on sheetrock walls with.  My thinking was, not only would they be much more secure, but would be impervious to salt as well. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

HemiGTX

I think the tank straps are most useful in keeping the tank in place when the boat is being assembled at the factory.  There is no way those cheesy nylon buckles and hold-downs would retain a 300 lb fuel tank in the event of a catastrophic trailering accident if it weren't for the fact that the fuel tank is very solidly retained by the fiberglass surrounding it.

We got two pages out of a question on fuel tank straps.  We need to get out and do some blackmouth fishing before we all go stir-crazy.  :bigshock:

AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

Yachter Yat

Sometimes I think the straps are most important to serve at preventing the tank from vertical movement.  Just looking at mine tells me there's no way it could move side-to-side or back and forth.  But...... hit a major bump in the road while trailering and that thing could conceivably wind-up putting stress on the filler...........maybe over and over again.  As far as a catastrophic incident on the highway is concerned.........you run like hell..........if you can, of course.  :jester:

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Markshoreline

I'm pretty sure the filler tube is what actually holds the tank in place...  :biggrin:

Hemi- yes to the black mouth idea!

neild

I re-strapped my tank with a package bander from work. See if you can find a friend or business to borrow one when installing your tank.

Allons-y!
1991 19' SR
2017 140 Suzuki