News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

fuel tank straps

Started by jamaica, January 27, 2018, 03:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamaica

I just discovered my fuel tank has not been tied down since I've owned the boat. The straps are there but there are no clips to secure them. Upon closer inspection I have found that the straps are damaged where they go through the bottom hold downs. So...I need to install new straps. Does anyone have a source for them? I've been looking and cannot find them. Is there an alternate method to strap the tank down that might be better than the "stock" technique? There are 3 plastic straps and it looks like when a PO repowered or took the tank out they just left the clips off because it would have been difficult to get them back on. 1992 SR '19 with the standard 48 gal tank set up the usual way.
Thanks
1994 19' Sea Ranger 150hp Merc 2stk 9.9hp Yam

Markshoreline

The ones I use are from Seattle Fabrics who supply outdoor gear.  They have straps in any length and most widths.  I used 1" width nylon straps on my boat.  You just secure with screws and sealant the nylon anchors on the floor front and back of the tank, and get long enough straps to circumnavigate the tank.  I used nylon adjusters to tighten them and nylon snaps and receivers to connect the ends.  They work great and are easy to install if the tank is empty.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

dbhazjack

The Defiance online parts store is no longer in service but you can call Belinda here: http://www.arimaowners.com/index.php?topic=14496.msg169375#msg169375
and she can get you what you need.
2013 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker. SOLD

AJFishin

I bought some lashing straps from Home Depot, I think they were $9 for 2.
Or Harbor Freight 2 for $5.
Then I trimmed them to length and melted the ends.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

Mcneilcab

Dont buy them from Defiance....You can purchase some nylon web with buckles that tighten down (like on a pack) that work great and it will be cheaper too
1994 SR19HT W/TWIN 50s
1998 SEA LEGEND HT  W/TWIN 90s

beancounter

In my opinion they are a waste of time and money. I never replace them. With the panels in place and fuel fill connected and gas in the tank you tell me how it can move even one bit. Saves time not fooling with straps as you really should pull your tank out every couple years and clean under it and the bilge area by your drain plug. Just my  :twocents: some will probably disagree.

Yachter Yat

I'd be a little reluctant to go without some kind of tie down.  An alternative might be to use a single stainless steel endless tie down strap.  They make those 2" wide.  On line for about 30 bucks.  Just put one near the center of the tank.  That's probably the way I'd go next time. 

Yat
You'll know your married, when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

jamaica

Thanks for the ideas, I'm checking them out now. I'll be tying it down somehow, it's just the way I am. Is there any problem with the tank wearing through on the bottom caused by the slight movement of the tank? Mine shows some wear on the fiberglass where the tank rubs on it.

birdman

I agree with bean. With that said, mine is tied down with 2 1" nylon straps-with metal buckle/clamp-purchased at Home Depot. Hasn't moved in 5 years...
Terry; 17' Sea Ranger (1985); 90 HP Yamaha (2012)

Tom Mac

I used really long zip ties, connected two together per side of tank.
1991 Sea Ranger 17, 2014 F90 Yamaha, 2008 T8 Yamaha

Yachter Yat

The straps I'm talking about come in 1" widths as well.  The beauty is they have stainless steel ratchets.   I honestly think that's the way to go..........either a single 2" wide strap or two 1" straps. 

Yat

Edit:  I think Suncor Stainless has these endless ratchet straps.
You'll know your married, when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

troll4fish

my tank straps were pretty bad when I bought the boat 3 years ago and when I pulled the tank and got the underneath all cleaned and put a perforated aluminum screen over the drain hole leading to the bilge pump I just used 3/8" diameter poly rope and tied the tank in. I feel that the tank with fuel in it as well as the fill hose connected is not going to move anywhere. The ropes are just added security in case I hit a real big bump on the highway or worse going upside down which I will have way bigger worries than my fuel tank position!  :shrug9:
92 Sea Chaser 17
2004 (2015 total rebuild) Mercury 90 EFI 4 stroke
2014 Honda 8hp full remote power tilt!

steeler

I had to cut the original straps when I removed the tank on my SH.
Then I had to pry the tank out with the help of a neighbour .
I did strap the tank in again but just used flat nylon webbing and clips from an outdoor store.
In my case it was probably just overkill to strap the tank in cause it isn't going anywhere.
The best time to go fishing is when its raining and when it ain't

familyrig

Quote from: Tom Mac on January 28, 2018, 12:14:42 PM
I used really long zip ties, connected two together per side of tank.
This is exactly how I have done both boats.  Worked great! 

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1999 Sea Explorer 75hp Yamaha 6HP Suzuki/ 1990 Sea Ranger 17' 90 hp Honda

jamaica

I went with straps and buckles from Seattle Fabrics  like Mark Shoreline suggested, about $25. Whether you believe in strapping or not check out the site, they have a lot of cool rigging stuff.

Markshoreline

Stainless eyelets rust, nylon don't....

Threeweight

When I cleaned the tank on my old 17', I used 1" nylon cam-lock straps in my replacement.  Worked great.  The strapping that was on my tank was just cheap shipping straps, the kind used to lash and reinforce boxes for shipping.  You might be able to find it from some place that carries shipping supplies.
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Yachter Yat

www.uscargocontrol.com has was you want.   Black endless straps with the stainless steel ratchets.

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Diablo

Well I guess I'm Mr Cheapo. I got straps and the clips out of the trash at Home Depot in the lumber area. Nice big wide heavy duty ones.
I do think the straps are necessary. Things happen out on the water that you never thought could happen and offen more than one thing goes bad at the same time.
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

croaker stroker

Quote from: Diablo on January 31, 2018, 01:40:25 PM
Well I guess I'm Mr Cheapo. I got straps and the clips out of the trash at Home Depot in the lumber area. Nice big wide heavy duty ones.

👍🏻 👏🏻
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Markshoreline

Diablo- I can imagine even worse things can happen on a trailer while towing if the tank was not secured...

Diablo

Quote from: Markshoreline on January 31, 2018, 10:32:25 PM
Diablo- I can imagine even worse things can happen on a trailer while towing if the tank was not secured...

:yeahthat:
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

Rokefin

Quote from: Markshoreline on January 31, 2018, 10:32:25 PM

They should be strapped, but if there were a roll over I really doubt my straps would hold....

Yachter Yat

Yeah, I hear you, Rokefin.  If you have the factory straps, your probably correct.   I must say, however; tie-it down with two of those 2" black nylon straps with stainless ratchets, and I honestly believe that boat could fly with the Thunderbirds without having to worry about that tank moving.  :biggrin:

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Markshoreline

Assuming the little screws didn't pull out...