News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Fix or replace

Started by Habberdasher, January 27, 2018, 06:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief of the Boat

Is that a 2016 Yamaha F50?  Pretty much the same engine as the F70 with a different head.
I would go for it.   :twocents:

Fisherdv

2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Omega3

Being the gearhead I am,I would Deep Creep the cylinders and check the fuel pump.Then compresion test.A whole powerhead for one of only 2 pistons is not needed.It's a 2 stroke simple.Replace both pistons and rings.At 100 hours that thing is like new.A good mechanic should be able to tear that small motor down,hone the cylinders and put it back together in 10 hours.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

wedocq

:yeahthat: You would think! Right??
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Threeweight

Quote from: sfever on January 28, 2018, 10:22:58 AM
If you do buy a heavier 4 stroke just make sure you budget for trim tabs, moving the battery, etc to compensate for the additional weight. Many threads on people having to do that to balance their boat with a 4 stroke instead of the lighter 2 stroke.

In brand new motors, an Etec 60 weighs 240 pounds, a Yamaha F60/F70 weighs 257# (the "high output" Etec 60 weights 320).  An Etec 90 is 320 pounds and a 4 stroke Suzuki 90 is 341, Honda 90 359... the weight advantages of two strokes are not that big these days.

The reason to move weight forward is that Arima's carry their fuel, batteries, main motor and kicker all on the stern.  Not so much a heavy motor issue as a design issue (though heavy motors certainly don't help).
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Yachter Yat

Are we talking about powering a Sea Hunter?   If so, the Honda 60 is the "lightest" of all.............239 lbs.! :wink:   Keep in mind, that boat is rated for 80 HP max.   BTW, unlike the 2 cylinder 240 lb. Etec..........the Honda is 3 cylinders.  The "high output" Etec 60 HP 3 cylinder is...................What?.........320 lbs.?  This is a no-brainer.

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Habberdasher

Today's update The mechanic used a scope to look inside the cylinder and can see melted aluminum. We have now talked about tearing down the motor to inspect the damage and he said that might be about $500 labour? at that point if it is reparable maybe another $ 1500 so about all I should spend on it. I wonder if there might be any market for a Mechanic's special or parts motor. If it needs a power head it is not worth it as the motor value is about 3000 the same as the part. I went to see the Yamaha dealer however he is closed on Monday so I will tomorrow. I am open to any more advise but I am leaning toward a camp return or new Yamaha 50
1988 Sea Hunter 60 Suzuki 5hp Mariner
1958 9 ft moulded birch 1958 3 hp Johnston and a 30 pound electric

Fisherdv

Gee's, that's $2K right off the bat and you know it will probably go above that all said and done. I'd probably lean twords your other options if you can  :twocents:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

croaker stroker

Ugh. I was hoping for a simple fix.
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Salmon King

Quote from: Habberdasher on January 29, 2018, 02:58:49 PM
Today's update The mechanic used a scope to look inside the cylinder and can see melted aluminum. We have now talked about tearing down the motor to inspect the damage and he said that might be about $500 labour? at that point if it is reparable maybe another $ 1500 so about all I should spend on it. I wonder if there might be any market for a Mechanic's special or parts motor. If it needs a power head it is not worth it as the motor value is about 3000 the same as the part. I went to see the Yamaha dealer however he is closed on Monday so I will tomorrow. I am open to any more advise but I am leaning toward a camp return or new Yamaha 50

Yours is the first eTec I've ever heard of self destructing!
Sounds like it's time for a repower :facepalm:
At those estimates and whatever other things that will inevitably pop up IMHO it's not worth the effort.
I'd ask the mechanic about him buying it for parts or part it out on CL or eBay.
The lower unit alone, if it's in like new condition, would be $750-$800.

:twocents:
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

croaker stroker

The Computer (EMM?) are $500.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

GregE

Gotta ask...  what's a camp return?     rental fleet ?  :shrug9:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

diodon

Trash or trouser its all how you might look at it. :wink:
2007 21 Sea Explorer.   2007 Suzuki DF140.        2011 Honda 9.9

Threeweight

In areas where fishing lodges are common (with guides in-house, or boats you can rent) they often lease their outboard motors for a few years, then return them and swap out for a brand new engine. 

Those lease returns then get re-sold by the dealers as "camp returns".

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Habberdasher

Quote from: Yachter Yat on January 27, 2018, 06:42:20 AM
   As I posted on another thread, I think the Honda 60 would be perfect on that boat.  No...I don't sell these things.  I've simply had such good luck with these Honda's in the past, that I feel compelled to pass it on.  You did seem to be concerned about dependability, correct?  If that's the case, I don't think you could do any better. 

Yat
[/quote
Should be a fun day the one that doesn't fish is playing Mah Jongg so I am going shopping Yat, in Canada the 60 Honda is 8,800 boat show price and the Yamaha 60 is 10,149 before any discount, We have a dealer here that sells both and I have a High School buddy who is a salesman there who should be pretty knowledgeable having been a guide for a long time so I should get a good comparison. The guides here mostly run Yamaha and my son has a few of them (Too Many toys!!). --- I forgot to click on post so fast forward to this afternoon I found two different Yamaha 50's one got dunked in the salt chuck when brand new and has had everthing replaced that the salt would effect at a cost of 1700 it is 5500 and comes with controls but no prop with a warranty until Feb 2020 the other is a Camp return with 200 hrs no controls or prop for 5600 and warranty until March 2019. I am inclined toward the one that got dunked as I had a dunked in salt motor that had no issues and if anything was to go wrong its under warranty and the dealer is going to cover anything related to salt damage.

Chief of the Boat

IMO I would stay away from any engine that was submerged.  Who is the warranty with?  I think being submerged is in the fine print that voids the warranty. 
:twocents:

Yachter Yat

Chief makes some good points.  Whatever you do, make sure you get a warrantee in writing.  What you want to avoid is getting into a "he said" argument down the road.  Remember the old saying:   "Even the most faded document is better than the most vivid memory". 

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Threeweight

Read the fine print on that warranty... does it cover computer/electrical?  Was the ECM, entire electrical system, all wiring, and all fuel system components (right down to the fuel injectors) replaced?  That's $2000-3000 worth of components, at dealer cost.

If not, run, don't walk, away from a modern engine that was submerged in the salt.

One observation on your Etec... 2 strokes historically relied on fuel for lubrication, and with older designs this was their achilies heel for longevity.  Fueling problems (gummed up carb running too lean, etc...) could cause catastrophic failure as the engine would then run with no lube until things went boom.

The Etec design is a big improvement, as it eliminates the mixing of fuel/oil/air prior to hitting the combustion chamber, and instead injects the oil directly into the chamber through a system that is separate from the fuel injection.  I'd be curious if there was a failure of some kind in the oil injection system on your cooked cylinder, causing it to run with no lubrication.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

ATGEP

IMHO there are too many ways for water to create problems on the newer motors to ever want one dunked.  Not to mention the whole hydro lock issue that can leave components stressed but not failed.  I want 1 thing from a boat ENG...100% reliability.

Omega3

100 % reliable engine of any kind does not exsist.The web is full of pages of guys having problems with engines of all brands and models.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

Yachter Yat

Aaaah........excuse me, Omega.   Oh........never mind.

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

Quote from: ATGEP on January 31, 2018, 11:15:02 AM
IMHO there are too many ways for water to create problems on the newer motors to ever want one dunked.  Not to mention the whole hydro lock issue that can leave components stressed but not failed.  I want 1 thing from a boat ENG...100% reliability.

+1

Newer motors are computerized. (Think of dunking your iPhone)

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Habberdasher

Quote from: Croaker Stroker on January 31, 2018, 09:52:44 PM
Quote from: ATGEP on January 31, 2018, 11:15:02 AM

+1

Newer motors are computerized. (Think of dunking your iPhone)

Thanks guys I won't be buying the dunked motor. Yesterday I found a backyard actually looks like a scrap yard who sounded extremely knowledgeable he had the power head off in under three hours and has quoted 800 to finish fixing it and I pay for the parts he has found on the web kits to repair the injector and says the cylinder is washed? So he is going to have it bored and put a very slightly bigger piston? All Greek to me but worth the gamble

Threeweight

I think he means the piston ran without lubrication, which probably resulted in both a melted piston and a scored cylinder wall.  He's going to replace the injector(s) for that cylinder, bore out the cylinder slightly oversize, then rebuild using a larger piston.  Hopefully the crankshaft and bearings are still good.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

croaker stroker

I am curious what caused that. Lean burn caused by bad injector?  Previous owner ran the oil dry ? Overheat ?

The printout should tell the story ??

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸