News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Fix or replace

Started by Habberdasher, January 27, 2018, 06:32:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habberdasher

Hi I just had bad news about my 2006 60 Etec with just over a hundred  hours the bottom cylinder has no compression the honest trustworthy repair man is looking for a reconditioned power head. I am torn between fixing the etec that I worry I will never have confidence in and getting something new that I would come with a warranty? My thoughts are I like the way my hunter performs with the etec but friends which have had Evinrudes and other brands have all ended up and Yamaha's . I would perfer to not spend that much money if I thought the repaired etec would be dependable?

1988 Sea Hunter 60 Suzuki 5hp Mariner
1958 9 ft moulded birch 1958 3 hp Johnston and a 30 pound electric

Yachter Yat

As I posted on another thread, I think the Honda 60 would be perfect on that boat.  No...I don't sell these things.  I've simply had such good luck with these Hondas in the past, that I feel compelled to pass it on.  You did seem to be concerned about dependability, correct?  If that's the case, I don't think you could do any better. 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Chief of the Boat

Wow a 100 hours and a dead cylinder.  What is your mechanics thoughts on the failure?  I would have a hard time putting very much money in a 12 year old engine.  I would take a look at the Yamaha F70, my 2017 has close to 400 hours with zero issues.   :twocents:

StreamFixer

2003 EF 115 Yamaha --  No problems other than replace injectors ($75 if I do it) every other year or so...  Sure see a lot of Yamaha's on the water.  I would see what the guides are using and use that as my indicator ---  Their livelihood depends on their motor...  Most I know and see are using Yammi's (mostly Columbia River and Oregon Coast)

That being said, the general consensus of our members has been to purchase the motor your most reliable dealer/maintenance person recommends.  A great motor that does not have convenient and/or reliable service available will inevitably be a problem (PITA) for you.

StreamFixer

For the record-- I have no fiduciary connection to Yamaha except what is invested in my motors (main and kicker)
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

BruceL2_Fish

That is really low hours for a dead cylinder!   I don't think you can go wrong with Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki, all high quality four strokes.   
2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Omega3

100 hours in 12 years sounds like it died from lack of use.How much is a new powerhead?Is your mechanic a certified etec mechanic that services them all the time or just an outboard mechanic?There is a big difference from my experience.No new motor comes with 12 year warranty and with the amount of hours you put on a motor you will be long out of warranty before you have problems.If the fix is say 2500 I would fix it and use it more and de carb it once a year.If it is more than that bite the bullet and spend close to 10,000 on a rigged up Yamaha.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

croaker stroker

I would treat it with SeaFoam and take another compression test myself....just to be sure.

Sometimes things get stuck with non use.

:wink:

Have you "winterized" it often ?? 
1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Good suggestion Croaker. But 100 hrs in 12 years? That could be bad for any motor  :shrug9:
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

croaker stroker

Yes. Non-use can mess things up. But I have seen over zealous mechanics repair things that were not broke.

An Etec has a computerized "winterization" that oils all the internal parts for extended storage. My boat is sitting now after being winterized.

It is accomplished by simply starting the boat with the fast idle throttle all the way open. Red dash lights come on and go off and then you close the throttle. Lights come on/off again and you open the fast-idle again. The motor automatically oils itself for extended storage and shuts off when complete. Then you're all set for the winter.

I winterize mine if I am not using it for over two weeks.  :beerchug: I figure a little extra oil can't hurt.... It does smoke a bit until that oil is burned off.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Croaker, do you even have a winter in So. Cal? You mean you summerize your boat :shrug9: 😎

Habberdasher

I love this forum so much good advise in such a short time :beerchug: The diagnosis bothers me a bit as the motor has so few hours and the manner which it quit , it just slowly died from 4500 and to me it seemed like a fuel problem like if it had a portable tank and I had forgot to open the vent. It died like this three times , the first time I just went out again and it ran fine, the next time to a certified etec mechanic (500$) for plugs,fuel filter and computer diagnostic. This time I took it to the mechanic who services my son's fleet  :biggrin: Thanks Croaker I will get something sprayed in the cylinder and have another compression test, the fact that it ran at normal revs after each failure makes me agree that something (rings?) is sticking. I have only owned it since the spring and have only had time to get out a few times its history was Columbia river use so I thought even with little use it would OK because of the fresh water?
If it turns out that the powerhead is fryed I agree with Omega 3 spend 2500 to fix or buy new if the wife who does not fish allows.

Fisherdv

It may be in need of a carb cleaning/rebuild. However I wouldn't do that until you check the compression again. It just seems funny to me that it would run fine, quit, and then run fine again. Maybe in need of a good carbon cleaning. I like Mercury powertune for that but there are others as long as you can get the motor running. I'm sure you've already tried fresh gas. Maybe check the compression yourself this time and post the numbers

Omega3

The only problem I have had with my motor is very similar to what you are describing.I had a pin hole in the fuel pump lift diaphram.I took it to 2 different Evinrude shops,each said they fixed it and failed.I ended up taking it back to where I bought the boat,Inland Boats in Ellensburg.I live in Tacoma so 120 miles one way.John,who runs the place is the best Etec guy around.I dropped the boat of at 7 am.At 2 pm the boat was fixed and has 2000 hrs with no problems.1 day turn around when 2 other shops had failed.If Ellensburg is within a 3 hour drive that's where I would take it.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

Habberdasher

I was in your neighbourhood Monday Woolly Bully and I caught the 7am ferry from Vancouver Island so he could buy a very slightly used Hunter with a old two stroke Yamaha in Edgewood  I hope he has better luck than me. It costs 200$ each way with a boat in tow on the ferry so I unfortunately will not be able to take it to your mechanic.
Tight lines Tom

Salmon King

Quote from: Fisherdv on January 27, 2018, 10:34:54 AM
It may be in need of a carb cleaning/rebuild. However I wouldn't do that until you check the compression again. It just seems funny to me that it would run fine, quit, and then run fine again. Maybe in need of a good carbon cleaning. I like Mercury powertune for that but there are others as long as you can get the motor running. I'm sure you've already tried fresh gas. Maybe check the compression yourself this time and post the numbers

:yeahthat:
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

croaker stroker

Quote from: Salmon King on January 27, 2018, 08:30:53 PM
Quote from: Fisherdv on January 27, 2018, 10:34:54 AM

:yeahthat:

ETEC...no carbs.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Fisherdv

Take Croakers advice, he has the same motor. But I do agree that a bit more trouble shooting may be a good idea. Maybe you could be a bit more specific on how the motor was running before it died each time. If was running normally after each incident it makes me think something else is the problem. Fuel pump? Injectors from sitting so long?

Salmon King

Croaker...I was unaware if the 2006 model had carb or not...
Thank you!

And yes...I totally agree with your recommendation!
PLEASE...Fly your flag Proudly, and remember to thank a Vet!
2011 14' Sterling
9' Pontoon (Bismarck)
8' Pontoon (Hood)

croaker stroker

SeaFoam works wonders.

I hope the motor is not fried. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Tj805

I've heard that happen on E tech motors .and two strokes in genaral.
Just happened to a guy I know .
Said one day it was running rough and then he checked compression and had none in one cylinder.
This guy ran his his boat quite a bit.

I think for me it would depend how much it was to repair .
Over 3000 bucks I wouldn't do it .
I would get a Yamaha .
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

sfever

If you do buy a heavier 4 stroke just make sure you budget for trim tabs, moving the battery, etc to compensate for the additional weight. Many threads on people having to do that to balance their boat with a 4 stroke instead of the lighter 2 stroke.

Yachter Yat

Habberdasher:   If you don't mind; what year is your Evinrude 60 Etec?  Also, is it a two or three cylinder motor? 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

croaker stroker

Quote from: Yachter Yat on January 28, 2018, 10:57:36 AM
   Habberdasher:   If you don't mind; what year is your Evinrude 60 Etec?  Also, is it a two or three cylinder motor? 

Yat

>>>>

Quote from: Habberdasher on January 27, 2018, 06:32:57 AM
Hi I just had bad news about my 2006 60 Etec......

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

Habberdasher

Hi
Yat the motor is a 2006 and 2 cylinder. Tomorrow I will go and pick up my boat as I have some projects to work on I will get a compression tester and some sea foam and see for myself before I let him order me a power head. Our Yamaha dealer has a camp return 2016 50 for what seems a good price. I really are not a speed demon anymore but do you all think a 50 is enough power for a hunter? The specs say the Yamaha is infact 3 pounds lighter than my etec.

Fisherdv

50 should be a good match for the hunter. I wouldn't go any less.