News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

1511 Explorer guys

Started by amazing grace, January 26, 2018, 10:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amazing grace

Looking for some thoughts on these boats. Seem's like you either love them or not. Not much in between.

I get it. Not much fishing room.  Short and fat. Not an ideal offshore boat. Kind of a weird repower situation especially on a budget.  I know the Yamaha 70 is the one. But that is pushing 10k isn't it? Next would maybe be the Honda 60hp, but how much for one of those? Is 60hp enough? Earlier used for strokes are all to heavy. Pre 1994 are smaller and narrower, are they not?

I would like to hear those who like the earlier models and how much do you have into them. $5,6,7k, good.  $12-15k ouch?
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

1997 19' Sea Ranger hardtop with Alaskan bulkhead

Fisherdv

The Sea Chaser 15'11" should be pretty close to the fishing room of the SR 17 you had. Your right, the Yamy 70 is probably the best motor for it. I have a Honda 60 and it does ok. Thoughts on a 16? I love it. For what it is, lots of fishing room. Offshore, pick your days carefully. But, then again, if it's too rough for the 16, it probably wouldn't be comfortable fishing in those conditions anyway. The Yamy 70 and the Honda 60 I would think would be very close in price. What exactly is your goal with it? Sorry I just saw you changed to 16 SE guys.
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

amazing grace

Thx Fdv, I amended my post.

First let me say I do love my 22 C-Dory angler and no plans to move it right now. But it is pretty big and heavy and have a chance to possibly pick up an older Explorer. I know I don't need it really. But it is lighter. I figure I might even be able to tow it with my old 4 banger Toyota, maybe. It would make an easy tow to the pacific to fish and crab close to shore. My biggest issue is that it may not be cheap enough. I would need to repower to get a reliable power plant. Not sure that would be in the cards. I could not dump $8k in it right off the bat. I do not see to many used options. Maybe the 60hp Mercury bigfoot. Not sure how they fair. Seems like mixed reviews. I sold a 70 hp Suzuki last year. But it weighed close to most 90's I am pretty sure??? 
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Fisherdv

Nice C-Dory by the way. That would be a nice combo, a 22 ft Dory, and a small easy to tow, get up and go 16. The 4 cyl Toyota may pull it, but stopping may be the problem

amazing grace

My 6cyl rwd Astro would probably be better and provide some place to sleep :whistle:
Thx Fdv
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

Yachter Yat

I was on a 17 Ranger a couple of years ago.  The 16 SC has more platform.   I think the Explorer would do fine with the 60 Honda.  Fabulous motor, but I must admit, it is pricey.  Guess you get what you pay for.  BTW, I have some thoughts about what Arima should do with the Explorer.   :whistle:

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

BRETT

I love mine, I have a 1988 SE yes it is a two person fishing boat. I have spent many days on it with my wife and grand two grand kids "8 years old" and that is about all I would want to have on the boat! I am looking at a re power this year to a Yamaha 70. I live in Marysville if you want to go for a ride some day.
1989 2018 f70, 9x9 Lenco TT

Chief of the Boat

I have a 94 1511 Sea Explorer (7 1/2' beam) with the Yamaha F70.  More than two people it is crowded.  With full load of fuel, water (14 gallons), 2 batteries, porta-potti, all gear (kicker, downriggers, weights, brutus, anchor, etc) it weighs 3100 lbs on the trailer (trailer weighs 600).   Not a problem towing with my 2012 Tacoma TRD Sport, stopping is better since I added surge disc brakes.  We used to sleep in the cuddy,  I would probably be happier with 1511 Chaser these days.   I would not go less than 70 horsepower.  I have allot of pictures in my gallery.

Yachter Yat

Brett and Chief, thanks for that.  It's always nice when you find a boat that works for you.  Back in 94 when I ordered my 16 SC, I was torn between the Chaser and the Explorer.  After having had cabin boats, I felt, in some way, I'd miss that.  Turns out, I "do" miss the cabin.  I just wasn't willing to opt for it at the expense of having so little aft deck.  Don't get me wrong, going on 24 years with the Chaser, I can't say I haven't loved it.  In many ways, I think it's one of the best small boats you could ever own. 

However, If I may be allowed:  As I've said in the past, this is one of the pitfalls of the "one-hull-two-boats" philosophy.   You either choose a great fishing platform, or an accommodating cabin with the sacrifice on the other end.  That said, after living with my 16 SC for going on 24 years, I've come to believe the Explorer is, arguably, the best candidate in the Arima line for some alterations.  Stretching that hull 9" and shortening the cabin by 2 or 3 (as I've suggested) could solve this problem...........at least, for yours truly. 

The result of the above should be obvious.  Not only would this boat have an additional foot of much needed aft platform, but it would also still maintain an adequate amount of cabin space to make a day on the water both comfortable and accommodating for a small family or two couples..........IMO, a true multifunctional "pocket cruiser".  Additionally, this is a hull that could be powered by the 60/70 HP class motors; a definite plus in my book.  Guess I could say this would be my "dream" Arima.   I'd probably call this model:  The "SEA ROVER". :biggrin: 

Have fun,  Yat

History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Sea Señor

My brother and I share a 1996 15'11'' Chaser and we love it. Mostly it's just the two of us on the boat for crab or salmon, but you can fit 3-4 guys if you're just going for bottom/reef fish. Bought for 7k with a Yammy 70 on it. Haven't needed to put much else into it, other than a new cover. We have bigger trucks now but had been towing it over the Santa Cruz Mountains with either of our 4 banger Tacomas for 4 years, worked out great.

AJFishin

I've looked at the Explorer and think it is a great all around family/fishing boat with a lot great qualities. But if you're main thing is going to be fishing then sleeping in the cabin, maybe a Sea Chaser would be another boat to look into.

I have 16SC and I like it and I think it's really good for fishing with up to 3 people.
If you have the pedestal seats, no matter which boat you get, you get a lot of extra space. I have the storage box seats, which is nice for storage, but they do take up a lot dance floor.
I also have a Yamaha 70 2 stroke and it moves the boat really good with me, my friend, bait tank and everything else.
As for the cabin space, the only person that fits comfortably in the cabin is my wife. Me on the other hand, is like trying to stuff 10 pounds of potatoes in a 5 pound sack, :jester:
I've been in some questionable swells in my SC16 and I felt safe.
Another thing l like about the smaller boats, you can tow them with smaller trucks/SUV's.
'96 Sea Ranger 19, 2016 Mercury 115 EFI CT (115F231D) 
'96 Sea Chaser 16, 2019 Suzuki DF60AV (Sold) 
'87 Sea Chaser 17, 1987 Johnson V4 90 (Sold)
My YouTube channel: youtube.com/socalseachaser

amazing grace

Thanks guys, the biggest issue for me with this boat is  the lack of affordable/used later model engines choices.
There a just so few.

I think this model is prone to being stern heavy and I am just not a fan of that. As a matter of fact it is something I  hate and won't own.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

amazing grace

Thanks guys. Thx Brett for the offer. I really appreciate it.

To be completely honest I am looking at a specific SE as it would be a trade deal with the current owner. I would prefer a chaser. But as far as purchasing I am really not in the market. Since buying Arima' I will say I do like a cuddy. They are indeed handy. But have some reservations about one in this small of a boat.

Chief of the boat I respect your thoughts about the 70hp but that is not an option for me. I could never spend $9k to put a new 70hp on this boat.
I see guys putting 50hp's on these boats which does seem underpowered even with two on board and a lighter load. I think a 60hp would do fine. But even a new 60hp is probably going to be $7k so that is not a good option either. I wonder if Tohatsu  has anything worth considering in a new motor either 2 or 4 stroke?

The boat has a 70hp two stroke on it know. Which I will look over to determine if it would suffice until I could find a better used motor.

If I do the trade I would need to be able to use this rig as is for awhile. Which I think is doable. I will keep you guys posted.

GregE I sent you a pm
1989 22' C-Dory Angler

GregE

got it

We had an SE for a while after we sold the Sea Hunter- the cuddy is tight for two adults so we started back up the Arima ladder.  Ours had a 75 Honda that moved it about 34 mph.  As stated it is wider than some so more induced drag.

The salmon season in Puget Sound and off shore is looking to be marginal.  Part of that is reduced returns but regulation restrictions are getting worse.

Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Fisherdv

Quote from: GregE on February 01, 2018, 09:50:46 AM
got it

We had an SE for a while after we sold the Sea Hunter- the cuddy is tight for two adults so we started back up the Arima ladder.  Ours had a 75 Honda that moved it about 34 mph.  As stated it is wider than some so more induced drag.

The salmon season in Puget Sound and off shore is looking to be marginal.  Part of that is reduced returns but regulation restrictions are getting worse.

GregE, did you notice any issues with that 353#, Honda 75 on that 16? In the first pic it looks like it sits good

Yachter Yat

I'm assuming that could be because that motor is titled up; resulting in the center of gravity being moved quite a bit forward.  :shrug9: 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Quote from: Yachter Yat on February 01, 2018, 11:47:34 AM
   I'm assuming that could be because that motor is titled up; resulting in the center of gravity being moved quite a bit forward.  :shrug9: 

Yat
Good eye Yat

GregE

OTOH the occupant is aft of the seats.

In the 2nd pic the motor is not trimmed down enough- the previous pic of the hole shot shows the bow quite high.  We were still learning about the SE set up.
Greg
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Yachter Yat

I always believed the 60/70 class motors were better suited for that boat.  That said, if Arima did as I've suggested (read below) then that would be another story.  I know you'd buy one, Greg.  :whistle:

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

The boat specs currently show MAX HP on a 16 at 100 HP. I know that's probably a lighter 2-stroke rating but with most new boats having heavy 4-strokes, maybe the MAX HP rating should be 75? No way your gonna get a 100 HP motor on a 16.

Yachter Yat

Yep.......Fisher, I agree.  Just a bit too heavy for that hull. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

polarbill1999

Seems like there are a bunch of great 60hp options.  The tohatsu 60 is a rebadged Honda, zuke makes a 60hp and merc has one as well.  I think the tohatsu/Honda/merc can come with lower gearing options and the zuke is geared lower to begin with.

The yami f70 seems like the shining star for a 16 but those other options I mentioned should be great and cheaper. 
Brett
1996 Sea Chaser 16 the "Rhumb Runner"
70hp Envinrude VRO
6hp Tohatsu 4 stroke

Fisherdv

I just noticed that the top pictures that GregE posted with the bow high in the air, the motor looks like it is trimmed up a bit. I wonder how it would get on plane with the motor tucked, and trim tabs on that 16SE with that hefty Honda 75 :shrug9:

GregE

Yep,  if you wouldn't just look at the pictures............   :wink:

In the 2nd pic the motor is not trimmed down enough- the previous pic of the hole shot shows the bow quite high.  We were still learning about the SE set up.
Greg

amazing grace

I completely agree with polarbill. I have always said an Arima with a light butt is the only way to go. The 60hp option that weigh's in around the 250 mark would seem like a great fit. Add a light weight tiller and I do not think TT would be needed necessarily.  Also  his comment about lower grearing is on the mark too. 25-28 mph for a top speed with that low end torque would seem like a great package. Would be like a John Deere on Kubota on the water and handle a nice load.

Thanks guys.
1989 22' C-Dory Angler