News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Cool Video for Area 7 Salmon Fishing

Started by rasslingref, January 25, 2018, 09:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rasslingref

I'm not sure who this is but it is an Arima and its Captain Marty

https://youtu.be/-sKdr8ciZQc
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

Rokefin

Yep good video, love that salmon fishing.....was nice to feel the blood pump and warming up while viewing.  I have been looking at the longer rods for trolling salmon and will put them in my artillery this year. I never pump or jerk on my rods when a rigger fish is hooked, is this a normal practice for most of you?

J Chaser

If they don't hit hard enough to release the clip, then you need to set the hook hard.

I have had some 25 pound springs hit soft like a trout, and some hit so hard they peel line when the rod is still in the holder.....

John
Sea Chaser 1511, Yamaha F70, Yamaha F6 kicker

mustang65fbk

While I am by no means the best fisherman out there, the way I fish varies greatly from this video. First, when I get a bite I'll give it a little tug or set the hook. I don't reef on it like in the video, i think that could be one of the reasons why they lost a few fish. And I usually have someone else reel up the other pole. Everyone says leave it in the water so you can catch more than one fish at time but I'd rather not get the lines tangled or potentially lose one or both fish. I'd rather focus on catching one fish and having everyone help to land it. I mean it wasn't long after the initial hit that they got a second strike and this happens somewhat often, so I wouldn't exactly say it was their fault or whatnot. About 3 years ago we had a triple hit on my uncles boat, that was a bit of chaos for a few minutes, luckily we had enough people on the boat to make it work and got 2 out of the 3 fish landed. Also, I don't like "skying" the rod. Basically putting it up at the 12 o'clock position, I've lost so many fish this way.

Lastly, I used to do it this way and it's just my opinion on the matter, but I don't understand the point of netting the fish off the rear of the boat? You need a really long net and have 3-4' of transom to lean out over, plus the potential for getting the line/net tangled up in engine or prop. What I'll do, and this has worked really well for me is when someone or I by myself get a hit, I'll put it in neutral and swing the boat to the side that the pole is on. So if the pole is on the port side downrigger I'll swing it to port. Being that I have a 21' SR Skip Top, I've now got about 10' off area to use for either netting the fish myself or having someone do it for me. I can also move the boat forward/backward depending on what the fish does and can adjust accordingly. Plus with having an 8' beam you can still walk to the other side of the boat and make it much easier on the person netting the fish for you and it will essentially put the fish right at the boat so you don't have to reach out and try to snag it. Also, I'm viewing this on my iPhone so it's hard to tell but are those fly fishing reels? I've heard that a Canadian thing. Just my opinions of course.
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

J Chaser

Single action mooching reels. Like these:

https://www.islander.com/product-category/troll/

I guess it's a Canadian thing....

John

J Chaser

pgbrown

Center Pin Reels just make the battle that much more fun.

2014 17' Sea Ranger
90 hp Honda
9.9 hp Honda

Rokefin

Mustang you are fishing a nice boat - would suit me perfectly.

I agree on clearing lines, unless I know for sure it is a small fish I may but not very often leave lines in the water. I prefer 2 lines but sometimes hali fishing we use 3 and normal routine is to clear anything and everything, keep the boat where we want it and get ready to net, always on the side.

Saying all this, if you had a video of me salmon fishing losing my marbles with a salmon on you would laugh......lost too many last year :facepalm:

Tj805

It's funny to see how other people fish salmon.
I do it a lot different than in the video.
What ever way works for you I guess.
2000 sea chaser 19
Honda 130
2014 yamaha f8

Fisherdv

Those guys are lucky they have such limber, moderate action rods or they would be ripping hooks out

2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

mustang65fbk

Quote from: Fisherdv on January 25, 2018, 09:18:26 PM
Those guys are lucky they have such limber, moderate action rods or they would be ripping hooks out

My buddy used to do that all the time.  We would call him the lip ripper lol
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

AlexB

Cool video! (But...Now the 5 words from that chorus are going to be stuck in my head all day!!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ramblin' Rose - 2018 SC19 w/ Honda BF150 and BF8

rasslingref

I learned how to set the hook on a King by a seasoned fishing guide.  Give the kicker a quick shot of power.  BAM hook set, line comes off downrigger, start reeling.
1998 19' SR HT 2019 Yamaha 115 2017 Yamaha 9.9
Kitsap County, WA

Fisherdv

I usually just raise the rod firmly, but I don't give it a hard whack. I also do not like to use braided line for salmon,  I much prefer mono

AlexB

If you use VERY sharp hooks and keep the boat in gear while the rod starts loading up (or in my case keep pedaling my Hobie kayak...), you shouldn't need to set the hook at all. In my experience yanking on a fish like that either rips the hook out or loosens it by ripping a bigger hole in the fish's mouth. I prefer to keep a loose-ish drag and hold steady pressure on the fish until it's tired out. I don't pump the rod - just take line when the fish comes toward me and let it run when it wants to.

Fisherdv

AlexB, you are absolutely correct about the VERY sharp hooks. I give my hooks the finger nail test, if the point slips on my finger nail, it's gets changed, or sharpened. If the hook sticks and doesn't slide on my finger nail, good to go. A sharp hook gives you a 10 time better chance of a good hookup. I also like a fairly light drag as well.

Omega3

In my experience fish that don't trip the release are rarely keepers.I load the rod so tight in the release the hook sets itself.I use a short 7' pole because I fish alone alot.Much easier to net a fish with the shorter pole.Cool vid but notice nothing they caught had any size to them.Big fish will make you pay for little mistakes.
05 Sea Ranger 19  05 Evinrude 135 DI   17 Yamaha F8

Fisherdv

Ya know, what's funny to me is whenever my wife gets a salmon on, she gets it to the boat immediately. Even 20+ pound fish. I always kringe when I see her do it, but ya know what, it works for her. I think she gets the fish to the boat so quick, that they don't even realize their hooked yet. She's done it many times and she out fished me the last 2 years😤. However last year I took my title back  :biggrin:

AlexB

Quote from: Fisherdv on January 26, 2018, 07:01:50 PM
AlexB, you are absolutely correct about the VERY sharp hooks. I give my hooks the finger nail test, if the point slips on my finger nail, it's gets changed, or sharpened. If the hook sticks and doesn't slide on my finger nail, good to go. A sharp hook gives you a 10 time better chance of a good hookup. I also like a fairly light drag as well.
Exactly. I do the same "finger nail test" to make sure my hooks are sticky sharp.

I used to use Owner and Gama hooks for salmon trolling, but I found that the very tips of those "chemically sharpened" hooks can dull within a couple hours (or less!) of trolling even if you don't catch any fish or hit any rocks. The hook might still look good, but the point definitely corrodes quickly. When you try to sharpen them, you grind off the coating that's (supposedly) keeping them from rusting... Then they are toast...

Now I only use Mustad stainless steel hooks. When they get dull, I sharpen them. I bought a 50 pack about 4 years ago, but in reality I've been using the same 10-15 of them for that whole time. Just rinse, sharpen, and reuse. I buy them with barbs and mash them down with pliers so I have a nice round nubbin to help keep the hook in place (it's legal, and it gives you a little edge over a true barbless hook).. Try that with a Gama or Owner hook and the barb will just snap instead of bending.