News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

New Hardtop will be at PDX

Started by woody, January 03, 2012, 04:24:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody

Just talked to our friends at Allen Marine. They took possession last Thursday and are outfitting it with ... no surprise ... Hondas.

Yes, he stated it WILL be at the Portland Boat Show at the Allen Marine booth.  He loves it and thinks its gonna knock every one's socks off. I was so excited I didn't bother to ask how it's equipped.  Got to save some of the goodies for the suspense and a little tease..

He's also hopeful that Don will be there for the weekend.

He said he had asked Don to drop it off at my place but Don said he got lost and could not find it.  Oh well.

YaHooooooo

Woody

StreamFixer

Woody

You would never gotten it into your garage and Jean would not have let you keep it in the driveway as it clashes with the truck you keep there... 

As you know, I happen to have a shop with ample room for keeping such a boat out of the weather.  Unfortunately Don did not find that either  :biggrin:

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade
'19 Minn Kota 80# (Alterra)
'97 19SC w/ Salt Boss Top

"By the grace of God we travel upon the rivers and sea..
They, like He, are mightier than me."  Mike Jesperson aka 'Nalu

Tunacious

I stopped by Allen Marine today and looked at the new Arima with Brad (owner of Allen Marina).  It is truly a real nice boat.  Brad asked me to let everybody know the new Arima will be at the PDX boat show and that he has some VIP passes available for those interested in a new Arima purchase. 
The new design gives it much more head room and a lot more dash space.  The side windows open up real wide and is a nice design.
I took some photos in case you haven't seen any.
Penquin
http://arimaboatownersgroup.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=2095
http://arimaboatownersgroup.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=2097
http://arimaboatownersgroup.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=2096

Tunacious

Sorry I didn't post the photos correctly in the above post.
Penquin

First Cabin

First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

PNW Pride

Love at second site.  I like the way those SS grab rails act as added support for the HT.  Wonder if I could stand in there?   :applause:
21' Sea Ranger/Honda 150HP

Tunacious

The one thing I don't like about the new design is the actual top was not re-designed, just the windows.  The T-tops on the roof which can be removed are now much farther forward than the old design. 
I have a 21 foot HT and I can stand up and stick my head out the T-top when its removed.  (Actually I am only 5-7 inchs tall so I have to stand on a stool) :whistle:
In this new boat when you stand up the actual opening of the roof is moved forward and you cant stick your head out the top.
I wish they would have redesigned the top and moved the openings back about 12 inches.
Still a great boat though.
Penquin

Threeweight

The more I see of it, the more I like it!
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Fisharima

Can't wait to find out how much a conversion to new HT would cost so I can quit thinking about it! Also I'm wondering how much the new top affects WOT speed!,,Geo
Geo

StreamFixer

When I last spoke with Don (couple of months ago), he suggested they would be priced around what a skip tower would cost for a conversion on a 19 or 21. 

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

fishing eagle

It may be hard to really tell from the pictures and not being inside the boat... but I do wonder about visibility, especially forward over the bow because it don't appear to have much window height and maybe visibility restrictions. I know my soft top on my SR 19 is higher and I have the plastic window in the canvas that I often need to look through for a good view of the water ahead of me, especially in heavy seas and foul weather and rain. Now I do like hard tops but I think it might need a little more height. Plus softops do have have some advantages for storage, bridges and versatility.

As matter of fact I am transporting my Arima to the canvas shop tomorrow to have all new canvas installed with a number of modifications including changes to the front plastic window for reasons such as restricted visibility.

:twocents:
(Reel Delight) a 2001 Sea Ranger 19, 2003 Honda 90, 2010 Yamaha T8 w/power tilt, Panther T4 steering system, Hummingbird electronics, & Scotty 1116 electric downriggers.
U.S. Navy Veteran, member of U.S. Power Squadron & Past President of Lake George Fishing Alliance (Retired & ready to fish!)

Threeweight

Given that the top is taller than the old-style hard top, the new windows should be taller as well, so I'd think more visibility rather than less vs. the old hard top.  Plus, the forward-angled windows should help with driving standing up (at least for us normal-size folks).   Big plus of the forward angle with the little extension of the hard top up front  is in shedding water, and keeping some rain off the windshield.

None of the hard tops come close to the visibility out of a skip tower, though.  On the other hand, could get quite toasty in there with a heater running and a drop curtain on the back.

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Tunacious

This week when I visited Allen Marina in Salem I stood in the new boat and looked it over pretty well.  There is certainly more visibility in the new design than the old style.  The windows are taller and the front window is farther away from you which seems to help with the visibility also.  In my old style 21 HT (and myself being 5-7) when I stand up I have to slouch over a little to look out the front window.  If I sit down I can see out of my window much better.  I really like standing up though.  I really miss being able to stand up and look over the window like I could in my old North River Sea Hawk.  I think that is why I like standing on a stool and sticking my head out the removable t-top on my Arima (only when I am just puttering around) 
In the new boat I could stand up and look out the front window without slouching over.  The removable t-top is moved forward along with the rest of the top which makes it impossible to stick your head out of the removable t-top. On the new boat the back of the hole in the roof is directly above the steering wheel and then stretches out over the much larger dash. 
Penquin

GregE

I'm betting the vent hatch locations will be corrected for later builds.  OTOH, mine were sealed with silicon while in AK ( previous owner) and I never found a need to open them.

I'm and the SL 22 Hardtop/ AK bulkhead ht is not a problem for me.  I've never opened the 6" deep center walkway section as it's so easy to move quickly with the cabin floor all one level.
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

PNW Pride

Conversion???   :bigshock:  Any body wanna buy a 07 skip tower and frame?  Also have seats, back rests and table for sale.  All cushions like new, I believe it's option #7.   :anyone:
21' Sea Ranger/Honda 150HP

BigMac

Removing the center board in the cabin to increase headroom in the HT models sounds good, but I've found it not that practical in my 22'.  It might be helpful for skippers who like to stand at the helm, but being in the center, it is offset from the helm and controls which might be problematic.

With the board removed, valuable storage space is lost, and the step down from the cockpit is abrupt which could result in a nasty accident.  

A couple of head bumps remind those entering the cabin to duck slightly, and it becomes automatic.

I can see that in the 19 and 21's, having less headroom, this could be advantageous.

(Dave)

StreamFixer

Pride

Post those items, with prices, in the for sale and I am sure they will be quickly snapped up.

StreamFixer

'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

Threeweight

--- Hunter S. Thompson

StreamFixer

Right after me 3 wt.  Besides you would never get it into your garage.

StreamFixer
'01 Hewes Sportsman 18
'14 Yamaha 90
'01 T8 w/ solas 4 blade

CanvasGuy

Well while you guys are Conflicting over that skip top :yeahthat:

Has Anyone thought of that fact that the new look makes it look like an "ArimaDory"
or is that just me?......

CG
Gary Smart
boatless  now
http://www.smartcustomcanvas.com
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

arimaed

I think Arima owes a shout out to SFF who innovated this concept! Way to go Darren!

The new design is beautiful and doesn't look like a C-Dory... it looks much classier!

Ed
1985 17' Sea Chaser 1985 75hp Mercury and 1985 9.8hp Mercury

CanvasGuy

Well not saying it ain't pretty...
just saying the straight windows look like a C dory.. :biggrin:
but it has a certain.. Defiance flair..perhaps?

And Congrats SFF...
CG
Gary Smart
boatless  now
"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." Arthur C. Clarke

Threeweight

I would say it now looks to have more kinship to a Sea Sport than anything else.

--- Hunter S. Thompson

arimaed

3wt,

I think your on the right path. I heard Sea Sport is making a comeback from the same people that build the C-Dory and Skagit Orca's. I also read one of the traitors from the Arima site that went with C-Dory is selling his boat or willing to trade in part for a 19' Arima SC. Good to know one Arima is in your blood it is darn tuff to kick the habit!

Ed
1985 17' Sea Chaser 1985 75hp Mercury and 1985 9.8hp Mercury

CanvasGuy

Well with the Those changes your correct a ArimaSport is more like it.
I didn't realize the Front windows were reverse pitch   ...I like E...... :yeahthat: :beerchug: :clap: :clap:
Gary Smart
boatless  now