News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Razor Clams Jan 28- Feb 3

Started by GregE, January 24, 2018, 05:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregE

Next dig dates

January 24, 2018

WDFW approves 7 days of razor clam digging

OLYMPIA – Seven days of razor clam digging will get underway beginning Sunday, Jan. 28, on various coastal beaches.

State shellfish managers with the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) approved the dig after marine toxin tests showed the clams are safe to eat.

Four beaches will be open for digging on different days throughout seven-day period, said Dan Ayres, coastal shellfish manager with WDFW.

"Not every beach is open every day – so folks need to be sure they know if the beach they are headed for is open," Ayres said. "We've staggered the days various beaches are open to maximize the length of the opening."

The best digging typically occurs one to two hours before low tide, said Ayres, noting that digging is not allowed at any beach before noon.

The upcoming dig is approved on the following beaches, dates and evening low tides:

Jan. 28, Sunday, 4:06 p.m.; -0.4 feet; Mocrocks
Jan. 29, Monday, 4:59 p.m.; -1.0 feet; Copalis
Jan. 30, Tuesday, 5:47 p.m.; -1.5 feet; Twin Harbors, Mocrocks
Jan. 31, Wednesday, 6:33 p.m.; -1.6 feet; Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Copalis
Feb. 1, Thursday, 7:17 p.m.; -1.5 feet; Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Mocrocks
Feb. 2, Friday, 8:00 p.m.; -1.0 feet; Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Copalis
Feb. 3, Saturday, 8:42 p.m.; -0.4; Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Mocrocks
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Dbobby23

i Was going to head to the ocean tomorrow but not after seeing this forecast.
1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi

GregE

Good thing to check!!

45 gusts here today

Hoping to go Tuesday, Twin Harbors area.
Greg
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

Craneman

Quote from: Dbobby23 on January 27, 2018, 12:32:53 PM

D Bobby,
What site did you get that forecast?
          Moe
91 15 ft Sea Hunter
45 hp Honda
4 hp Yamaha

Dbobby23

Quote from: Craneman on January 27, 2018, 08:51:07 PM
Quote from: Dbobby23 on January 27, 2018, 12:32:53 PM

D Bobby,
What site did you get that forecast?
          Moe

Windfinder app for iPhone
1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi

Old Chaser

Looks like wed. for me! The forecast I was looking at says wed. the wind will lay down a bit and it should be at least half way nice for digging. Ocean shores for me? Its tuff digging when the wind blooows-

Dbobby23

Successful. razor clams and surf perch.

Started the day stopping at the breakwater for fish & chips in Aberdeen. Food and service was great. Reasonably priced. 11.50 I think for a 3 piece cod.

Next stop Roosevelt beach. Arrived about 1:00 started casting out into the dirty brown breakers using fresh  caught Puget Sound squid while standing chest high in the surf. Not 1 bite for 2 hours.

Next was break time for an hour in the car to warm up.

4:00 the tide has gone out enough exposing the sandshrimp
With my homemade shrimp gun, I load my waist bait container with dozens and headed back into the surf
Sometimes neck high in the breakers. I lost my feet once and only my head was sticking out of the water. I stayed pretty dry due to my waders, tight waste belt and my really nice stormr Stryker jacket.  Yes I was wearing a buoyant coat made by stormr and a life jacket. This is not my first time bobbing in the surf.

First cast with sandshrimp first surf perch in the bag. For the next hour and a half it was red hot, wide open lights out. If I baited my hooks right with the sandshrimp, meaning they stayed on the hooks while I casted I hooked a fish. I was along side 3 other friends having the same luck.

The setup. 1 ounce weight at the bottom. 12 inches up the 30 lb maxima fluorocarbon I tie another piece of 30 lb leaving a tag end. I then tie on a #4 eagle claw glow octopus hook. Repeat hook setup again 10 inches higher up the line. 12 inches above that using a swivel and duo snap the setup is hooked to my mainline. I use 30 lb because it keeps the hook hangin away from the mainline meaning no tangles.

Next race back to the cars and head to capalis to dig. We showed up 10 minutes before the low, rain blowing sideways water moving over the sand making it hard to spot clams. This is when I know I have to find high ground. Even a small section maybe 3 ft by 5. Sometimes in tough conditions this will turn your night around. Last night was no different. All my 15 clams came from small patches barely elevated enough to keep the standing water off. The clams were not showing good last night even on the humps. The tells were almost as wide as number 2 pencil eraser and barely indented into the ground. It took all 4 of us about 45 minutes to get our limits and we were heading home.
1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi

GregE

Good report   :applause:

Caution wading to bobbing depth, sneaker waves and rip currents can make you a recovery project   :bigshock:
Greg

Dbobby23

Quote from: GregE on February 01, 2018, 10:18:51 AM
Good report   :applause:

Caution wading to bobbing depth, sneaker waves and rip currents can make you a recovery project   :bigshock:

No doubt Greg. Earlier in the day the rip was present meaning we didn't wade out nearly as far. Closer to the low of course anything could happen but yesterday the rip calmed down and for the most part we were all waist deep with the Accasional taller swell coming in. All 4 of us are experienced, close to each other  and always watching over each other.
1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi

GregE

Heading to Grayland / Twin Harbors area tonight- sure wish I could have made it Weds.  Sure is easier spotting shows in daylight
Greg

Mooch

Quote from: GregE on February 01, 2018, 10:18:51 AM
Caution.....

Keep it on a swivel and be safe out there guys.  Winter can get sketchy.  Almost lost a buddy at Roosevelt Beach last year and he lives in Copalis and has clammed his whole life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSCCe1y6-b8
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

E-TEC Pacer

Just read on another site that a couple women got washed away the other night. One was off Warrenton Cannery Rd. and the other was north of Ocean Park. Sounds like both bodies were recovered. Sad deal.
17' '05 Pacer
2014 E TEC 90
I'd get rid of my wife before I'd get rid of my
E TEC and I really love my wife.

Mooch

Very sad.  Seems like within minutes of each other at two entirely separate beaches.  Tough to see a rogue set coming at you at 9 PM.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/state/washington/article198370569.html
Matt. 8:27    The men were amazed and asked, "What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!"

Markshoreline

Razor clamming is so fun that the last thing you'd think of is a rogue wave washing you away!  My biggest concern was always trying to keep the minivan from getting stuck on the beach with the tide coming in.
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9

Threeweight

We were out on the beach at Ocean Park when we saw the first responder trucks running up the beach at high speed with their blue lights flashing.  Were some weird wave sets and a south wind where we were... every 45 seconds to a minute, we'd get one big wave that would run in a good 30-40' further up the beach than the average. 
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson