News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of Arima boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Soon to be new Arima owner

Started by Buddy, January 24, 2018, 06:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker stroker

I call B.S. !  Yat doesn't eat Sugar Pops.

I love my 17 footer. I'm old. I've owned bigger boats. If I bought a new boat, I would order the same 17' Sea Pacer.

1987 - 17' Sea Pacer - 2004 Evinrude 90 E-tec
1985 - 15' Sea Sprinter - **SOLD**

"Ex Tridente Pax". 🇺🇸

troll4fish

Congrats buddy! I have a 1992 SC17 for three years now and love it! I am alone most the time in it and handling it is a piece of cake by myself! launching and loading is no big deal and docking even in the wind is very doable! you will love it! its' great for small lakes but also is stable in the chop outside of Nootka sound but I do prefer fishing calmer waters as I am a landlocked fisherman from Colorado (sea sick city sometimes!)  :arms:
92 Sea Chaser 17
2004 (2015 total rebuild) Mercury 90 EFI 4 stroke
2014 Honda 8hp full remote power tilt!

Yachter Yat

Yeah, Croaker you're right.  I hate Sugar Pops.  Somebody just happened to snap of shot of me preparing First Cabin's breakfast.  :stirthepot:   In those days, they called me........"Badfinger".   :jester:

Yat
Being married, is when the woman you're with asks you to remove your pants........because they need washing.   
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Buddy

Okay, now you all have me considering trim tabs.  Two of the three other boats I've been fishing on the last year or so don't have trim tabs, a 16 foot Tracker and a 18 foot GW.  One had trim tabs (21 foot North River) but the owner is quite the newbie, and didn't know what to do with them.  I didn't really feel like messing around with his setup so kept my hands off and mouth shut when he had us moving around to balance the boat.
I've never owned a glass boat before, and have trepidation about mounting anything to the hull.  After reading a number of threads, it seems the 9x9 Lenco might be best for me.  It appears the upper bracket securing the actuator to the transom, and the lower 9" long bracket where the tab pivots are the two places where holes need to be drilled.  Am I correct that screws are used (not through bolts)?

Rokefin

Correct - screws are used to mount tabs to the transom.

mustang65fbk

Quote from: Buddy on January 24, 2018, 02:37:29 PM
Didn't expect so many replies so soon, thanks to all.  Rokefin, et al regarding a larger boat.  The 17 SC with skip stretches my budget so really couldn't consider anything else.  But, if budget wasn't an issue the 21 SR with skip would probably have been my choice.  My wife liked it much more, so probably would come out with me more often.  Hmmmm, maybe the 17 SC was the proper choice.

If you like a bigger boat more and don't want to spend as much, why not buy a nice used Arima? I bought mine last summer for less than $20k. In terms of the trim tabs... If you're set on buying a new boat, I think every Arima should have them, my parents old 17' SC had them and my 21' SR ST has them. They're nice to use in rough seas and you can adjust them so they're all the way up if you don't need them. I'd personally buy the adjustable ones and have the dealer install them for you as I'd be more than just a bit paranoid about drilling holes into my (literally) brand new boat.
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

dbhazjack

Buddy, you definitely want to consider tabs on your Arima. Haven't seen anyone complain or wish they hadn't added them. On the contrary, most comments are something like, "best addition to my boat, or a must add, or Arima should make this automatic".

Do yourself a favor and see what your dealer can offer, including installation. Then check back here for comparison on $. You might be pleasantly surprised.
2013 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker. SOLD

Fisherdv

2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Chief of the Boat

Buddy,
I have sea trialed many new Arimas, allot without trim tabs.     The tabs are nice for list control.  IMO I would run your new Chaser with no planing aid at least until you break it in.
:twocents:
Terry

First Cabin

Trim tabs.... get them.  Spend the money now.

On those rough days when you have to push through the chop, they're invaluable.  Balancing load, etc.

I wouldn't have an Arima without trim tabs.
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

dbhazjack

Quote from: Chief of the Boat on January 25, 2018, 04:08:46 PM
Buddy,
I have sea trialed many new Arimas, allot without trim tabs.     The tabs are nice for list control.  IMO I would run your new Chaser with no planing aid at least until you break it in.
:twocents:
Terry

Terry, could you elaborate on this a little? Don't you see quite a few factory installed tabs at Defiance? Is there a break-in issue with a new motor associated with trim tabs?

Thanks Dave

Fisherdv

Buddy, I would take the Chiefs advice. Spend some time, and get to know the boat for a while first. You can add the tabs later very easily. I've had my new 16 SC for about 5 months now. I will be adding tabs very soon, but I wanted to get used to the boat as is first. Just take tabs into consideration when mounting your transducer so you will not have to move it when you do add tabs later. You are going to be very busy with mounting electronics, rod holders, dock lines, fenders etc.

Chief of the Boat

Dave,
Nothing with break-in.  Just feel the boat out before busting out the checkbook.
Terry

Fisherdv

Chief, don't forget to tell him about bay star hydraulic steering!

dbhazjack

Quote from: Chief of the Boat on January 25, 2018, 04:29:58 PM
Dave,
Nothing with break-in.  Just feel the boat out before busting out the checkbook.
Terry

Got it 👍 Clearly my confusion, I've never experienced someone trying to keep me from spending $ on here  :whistle:

Dbobby23

Congrats Buddy you made a great choice
1983 seahunter
2004 yamaha f8
2007 yamaha f60 efi

Sparhawk

Congratulations! :applause: I agree with Chief, take some time to get to know the boat, then decide what you want to do. I have found that when I know the boat I can make more specific and educated  decision on what you want to get, and often, you will find little things that you want to add.
"God put me on this Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now I am so far behind I will never die" - Calvin and Hobbes

Sparhawk:
1983 Tiderunner 150 Cuddy
1991 Mercury 60 2-stroke

wedocq

Quote from: Buddy on January 25, 2018, 03:46:21 PM
Okay, now you all have me considering trim tabs.  Two of the three other boats I've been fishing on the last year or so don't have trim tabs, a 16 foot Tracker and a 18 foot GW.  One had trim tabs (21 foot North River) but the owner is quite the newbie, and didn't know what to do with them.  I didn't really feel like messing around with his setup so kept my hands off and mouth shut when he had us moving around to balance the boat.
I've never owned a glass boat before, and have trepidation about mounting anything to the hull.  After reading a number of threads, it seems the 9x9 Lenco might be best for me.  It appears the upper bracket securing the actuator to the transom, and the lower 9" long bracket where the tab pivots are the two places where holes need to be drilled.  Am I correct that screws are used (not through bolts)?

Yes trim tabs! And in case nobody corrected you, the size you want is 12x9. I am not saying this is the best rice out there, just an example so you can see what they cost, and compare how much to have them installed at the factory.
-Shawn

https://www.ecmarinesupply.com/products/boat-leveler-12-x-9-trim-tab-set?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=1985351417866
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

Markshoreline

The pic is a bit blurry but is that spoon silver? 
2002 Sea Ranger HT 21, Yamaha 150, Yamaha 9.9