News:

Welcome to the largest gathering of ARIMA boat owners anywhere. We are a forum based gathering of Arima Boat enthusiasts that like to pleasure cruise, fish, camp, and hunt. While Arimas are centered in the PNW, we have members across the globe. It is 3/4's water after all. Lurk, join up, and post about your Arima upgrades, family trips, and of course, your fishing exploits. Just remember to add photos whenever possible.

Main Menu

Soon to be new Arima owner

Started by Buddy, January 24, 2018, 06:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buddy

Hello
I want to begin by saying thank you to all that participate in this forum.  I found the discussions and candor invaluable during my boat selection process.  Plus entertaining...
For the last several years I've fished Central Puget Sound in a 22 yr old 16' Tracker with a 2 stroke 75 hp Merc.  I'm fortunate that I have a couple of fishing buddies, one with a 18' Grady center console and the other with a 21' North River.  The first hand experience in the two boats gave me a good frame of reference for deciding which direction I wanted to go (glass vrs tin). 
My GW buddy recommended Parker and Arima.  I couldn't afford the Parker, and really didn't want anything more than 19' as I spend considerable time solo, and can be a little "challenged" when docking in wind.  Figured a smaller boat is more my speed.  Another buddy pointed me at the Stabicraft, which I must say for an aluminum boat is damn nice.  But glass was my first choice (and in my case more affordable).
Once I started investigating Arimas in earnest, I became more and more impressed.  Plus the enthusiasm of this forum was a factor in my purchase decision.  Long story short, I'll take possession shortly after the Boast Show of my brand new Sea Chaser 17 with skip tower, factory down rigger rails, powered by a Yammie 90 hp.  Have dual batteries and a Garmin echoMap 94sv.  I told Terry at Jacobsen's that I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve, too excited to sleep.  My better half is getting a little irritated with me though, just can't understand why I spend hours searching, reading and watching Arima info on the Web.
Once I start familiarizing myself with all there is to learn on a completely new boat, I'll probably be looking for advice.  But in the meantime, only a couple weeks to go!

Fisherdv

Welcome, and congratulations! You'll love the boat!
2018 Sea Chaser 16, Honda BFP60

Yachter Yat

Hi Buddy:

+1 on what Fisher said.  I ordered my "customized" 16 SC from Donny back in 94.   At the time, somebody called me James Dean.......singing: "Bought it site unseen".  (ha)  Well, guess what?  Here it is 24 years later and "James" still has his Arima.   Funny, I recall thinking, I'd probably have this boat for a couple of years (like all the others) and move on.  Something about an Arima that sorta makes you fall in love with it.  IMO, Arima still makes the best small boat out there.   Now if they'll just listen to me!  (haha)

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Rokefin

Welcome Buddy. You now have a very nice fishing rig :applause: I often fish my 17  solo in Central Cali, easy boat to command going solo.

Your buddy's know their boats - I like all their recommendations.

First Cabin

Quote from: Buddy on January 24, 2018, 06:28:34 AM
Long story short, I'll take possession shortly after the Boast Show of my brand new Sea Chaser 17 with skip tower, factory down rigger rails, powered by a Yammie 90 hp.  Have dual batteries and a Garmin echoMap 94sv.

You did your homework!  Great selection!
First:  1982 15' SeaHunter, Yamaha 70 2-stroke, Yamaha F6
Second:  1987 17' SeaRanger, Merc 90 2-stroke, Yamaha F8
Current:  2002 17' SeaChaser, Yamaha F100, Yamaha T8

Rokefin

Uhhhhhhh.....19 foot!   19 19 19 19

First Cabin

Quote from: Rokefin on January 24, 2018, 07:50:55 AM

Why not 21?   21 21 21 21

He qualified it with wanting a boat he can easily manage himself.  Stepping up to 19' loaded and now you're talking dual axle trailer, 1/2 ton pickup.  Looks like he got the perfect boat for HIM. 

BruceL2_Fish

2012 Sea Ranger 19 (M. LaDeane)
Suzuki 115 Four Stroke
Honda 9.9 Kicker

Diablo

Actually a new boat, how nice. Excellent choice. Now you need to Break Out Another Thousand (BOAT) for all the discounted accessories you will need at the boat show. Maybe even meet up with other members Wednesday night.  :beerchug:
'98 19SR  '15 E Tec 115, '10 Honda 8
'67. 23 Tollycraft, 283 Chevy
'04  14' Western, '15 Tohatsu 10
'87  37 Roughwater two 8.2 Detroit diesels SOLD
'88 17SR  '90 Johnson 90, Honda 8, SOLD

wedocq

Sweet boat! You will love it. The 17' Skip has a lot of room for a 17'er, and will be perfect for the Sound. Once you get used to your new boat, keep in mind it can handle the ocean fairly well also. I have fished 17'er several times out of Westport, and people use them every year during halibut season out of Neah Bay.
-Shawn
2002 21' Arima Sea Ranger HT  Suzuki [glow=red,2,300]DF175 [/glow] 4-stroke.
WEDOCQ= WE DO SEKIU! It pays homage to my Uncle Jay who died of cancer.

mustang65fbk

Quote from: First Cabin on January 24, 2018, 08:13:57 AM
Quote from: Rokefin on January 24, 2018, 07:50:55 AM

Why not 21?   21 21 21 21

He qualified it with wanting a boat he can easily manage himself.  Stepping up to 19' loaded and now you're talking dual axle trailer, 1/2 ton pickup.  Looks like he got the perfect boat for HIM.

Idk. I've got a 21' sea ranger skip top with a dual axle trailer and it's definitely doable launching and trailering the boat by yourself.
2003 21' Sea Ranger Skip Top
2003 Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

Yachter Yat

I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but if I were looking at an Arima strictly for fishing.......with downriggers, lead balls, etc., I'd be thinking 19 Chaser, like Rokefin suggested.  Two feet longer at the same beam is much better in terms of the aspect ratio.  A lot more working platform.  Not only that, but if you ever decide to sell, you'd probably have to hire a traffic control officer to keep things under control outside your door.  A 19 Chaser is a rare boat.  Don't see many come-up for sale. 

Course, there's a downside to everything, not the least of which is that you'd probably want a bit more HP, a longer trailer, and so on.  That said, if you haven't placed that order yet, you might want to see what the difference in overall cost would be. 

Yat
History is not the past; it's the present, as we all carry it with us......James Baldwin    
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Quote from: Yachter Yat on January 24, 2018, 12:18:52 PM
    I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but if I were looking at an Arima strictly for fishing.......with downriggers, lead balls, etc., I'd be thinking 19 Chaser, like Rokefin suggested.  Two feet longer at the same beam is much better in terms of the aspect ratio.  A lot more working platform.  Not only that, but if you ever decide to sell, you'd probably have to hire a traffic control officer to keep things under control outside your door.  A 19 Chaser is a rare boat.  Don't see many come-up for sale. 

Course, there's a downside to everything, not the least of which is that you'd probably want a bit more HP, a longer trailer, and so on.  That said, if you haven't placed that order yet, you might want to see what the difference in overall cost would be. 

Yat
Last I checked, it's about a 6K difference from a 17, to a 19. May be worth it depending on what he wants

First Cabin

Single axle trailer, tows great behind a small SUV.  Tight turning radius, can launch just about anywhere.

Fishes three perfectly.  Fits in standard garage. 

You guys and your 2 footitis.....  Keep it to yourself and congratulate the man!

Fisherdv

Quote from: First Cabin on January 24, 2018, 12:45:15 PM
Single axle trailer, tows great behind a small SUV.  Tight turning radius, can launch just about anywhere.

Fishes three perfectly.  Fits in standard garage. 

You guys and your 2 footitis.....  Keep it to yourself and congratulate the man!
Ya, your right, that's why I got a 16! :jester:

Threeweight

Congrats!  Those 17' Chasers are the most versatile boats in the Arima fleet!
Former Sea Chaser 17 owner
Defiance 250 Admiral, twin Yamaha 150's and T9.9

"Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed."
       --- Hunter S. Thompson

Yachter Yat

Fisher:  If that's just for the hull, then obviously, it's a considerable amount; which is only exacerbated when you factor-in the possibility wanting (or needing) more HP.   I'm not a hard core fisherman, so owning a bigger boat isn't my thing.......but if I was, there would be other things I'd be considering.   For example:  How many people would normally be on board?  Another is, whether or not things like crab pots, on-deck fish tanks, or other bulky gear would be employed.  This stuff all takes-up "working space".  I don't think I have to tell anybody how many pictures we've seen of Arimas with so much gear and "appurtenances" on board that it seemed like there wasn't enough room left on deck to change your mind.  Just something to think about. 

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)

Fisherdv

Quote from: Yachter Yat on January 24, 2018, 12:56:29 PM
   Fisher:  If that's just for the hull, then obviously, it's a considerable amount; which is only exacerbated when you factor-in the possibility wanting (or needing) more HP.   I'm not a hard core fisherman, so owning a bigger boat isn't my thing.......but if I was, there would be other things I'd be considering.   For example:  How many people would normally be on board?  Another is, whether or not things like crab pots, on-deck fish tanks, or other bulky gear would be employed.  This stuff all takes-up "working space".  I don't think I have to tell anybody how many pictures we've seen of Arimas with so much gear and "appurtenances" on board that it seemed like there wasn't enough room left on deck to change your mind.  Just something to think about. 

Yat
Yat that 6K I believe gets you a 115 HP vs a 90

dbhazjack

Congrats Buddy and welcome to the fold! I love my 17' SC have fished everything from Neah to little trout lakes with the grandkids. It does it all pretty dang well IMO and is super easy to launch/retrieve by myself. I've successfully resisted the pressure of my fellow AO's to succumb to the 2'itis disease so far....(5 years and counting)

You'll see lots of 17's in Puget Sound, along with the rest of the fleet, however, I have yet to see a Legend in one of the local potholes the kiddies want to fish. Heck, when we do that, my boat seems huge!!

Good luck and enjoy your first Arima!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker. SOLD

Buddy

Didn't expect so many replies so soon, thanks to all.  Rokefin, et al regarding a larger boat.  The 17 SC with skip stretches my budget so really couldn't consider anything else.  But, if budget wasn't an issue the 21 SR with skip would probably have been my choice.  My wife liked it much more, so probably would come out with me more often.  Hmmmm, maybe the 17 SC was the proper choice.

First Cabin

You made a great choice Buddy.

Here's a childhood picture of Yat!

GregE

RJ, that's So wrong   :nono:

Buddy, get some pictures posted for us when you can-  you know the rule   :biggrin:
Greg
2005 SL 22 Honda 225 Kodak II
http://www.sagecreekforums.com/phpforum/index.php
Sold:Osprey 26 LC Kodak;  Arima SR 19 HT, Arima SE 16 WeeBait; SH 15 WeeBoat; SR 21 NoBait;  SL 22 ReBait

dbhazjack

Quote from: GregE on January 24, 2018, 03:27:50 PM
RJ, that's So wrong   :nono:

Buddy, get some pictures posted for us when you can-  you know the rule   :biggrin:

Just not childhood pictures Buddy, please  :facepalm:
2013 17' Sea Chaser, 90 hp Honda, 8 hp Honda Kicker. SOLD

HemiGTX

Congratulations!  I think you'll have more useable deck space than I have with my SR19HT.  I think the Sea Chasers are the best bang for the buck.

We hope to see you at Neah Bay this year for halibut season.
AKA: "The guy who fishes with Nicole"

Yachter Yat

Hey Cabin, that's Copyrighted material............I'm calling my lawyer.  :jester:

Yat
16 SC/Honda 60  (sold)